User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
I've only got a second, I can look a this more tonight.

As I understand it, carry laws require you to have chains from this date to that date and it doesn't matter if it's sunny and 60 degrees outside. Is that right? Be back later.
Yep..you read that right.
Altitude changes and going from one side of the mountain to the other, the weather can get radically different. If you are ever inspected and required to show your chains, hopefully the sun will be shining, and it will be a nice 60 degrees, and dry.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

yes i do have better things to do, but this morning i sat down with my coffee at 1am and thought oh wth, let me answer this guy. my 2nd post was pure reaction to you complaining about the information you asked for.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
The companies I've driven for all have not wanted the drivers chaining up, and gave you "carry chains" to meet the legal requirements. But the chains they gave me were crappy old rusted up chains that didn't fit anything...stuffed in a couple milk crates, and jabbed them into the tool box.

I was smart enough to not accept that. I dumped the chains out at the terminal, and purchased all the proper chains. Thing is, we run all the western main roads in the winter, as we ship frozen fruit to Washington, Oregon and California...when the fresh produce market is down. I ran those roads a lot, and for the most part, routed myself around the storms, or scheduled myself ahead or well behind them, and only one time got a closed road in Cheyenne, Wyoming. What I did though was they had 80 closed off westbound to Laramie. I just snuck around the backside on 210..(parallels 80)...and it comes out right where they were closing off the eastbound, so Hah. I kinda felt smart/lucky that day.

A few times I did have to chain up. One time I was trying to beat a storm when I left Tacoma eastbound on 90. I barely made it up Snoqualmie. I was in 10" of slush, and there were trucks pulled off to the side unable to climb. I was begging my truck to not start spinning, and once I made it to the summit, I said to myself...no way I'm going down this thing barefoot.
I chained up and by the time I made it down the slope, they had everyone pulled off, and were closing the road.
I took off my chains, and beat cheeks the hell out of there, and was fine the rest of the trip out. I was glad I got the right chains, and I'll use them when I feel it is important, mandatory or not.

Point I guess I'm making is, watch that your "carry chains" are going to actually fit, if you ever feel you need them, or be prepared to park, and shovel yourself out of a snowdrift later.

Oh crap...it just dawned on me...it's almost winter again. @#^!~&% 2
The single greatest feature ARCO had included on the T-800's they started ordering, was the Inter-axle lockouts. Combined with the power divider, we could walk across Snoqualmie with out a lot of trouble. Very nice feature to have on your truck them inter-axle lockouts!!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavega View Post
yes i do have better things to do, but this morning i sat down with my coffee at 1am and thought oh wth, let me answer this guy. my 2nd post was pure reaction to you complaining about the information you asked for.
I'd prefer just to start again. I like it when everyone is all nice and friendly and everything, but I know it's not always like that. I've learned to scrap over the internet, but that's not my first choice.

I did appreciate the links, I just wish the second one didn't suck (insert smiley here since I can't get any since they made the software change). I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about all this crappy information companies provide you for free when really all they want to do is sell you something. Have you read some of the tripe in those little trucker magazines- they're only interested in one thing, advertising jobs. That chain laws website, it's a real simple question, is there or isn't there a certain time period like Nov 1 to April 1 that you have to carry chains?

Maybe I'm just trying to justify myself. I need to read OTG's post closely. Somebody is wrong on these carry laws, either OTG or Roadhog. I don't want to prove anyone wrong, I just want to get the right information for myself.

Ok, vavega, your call. I prefer to make nice, but if you want to scrap, I warn you, I'm a master debater and a cunning linguist!

Last edited by lowrange; 10-14-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
I'd prefer just to start again. I like it when everyone is all nice and friendly and everything, but I know it's not always like that. I've learned to scrap over the internet, but that's not my first choice.

I did appreciate the links, I just wish the second one didn't suck (insert smiley here since I can't get any since they made the software change). I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about all this crappy information companies provide you for free when really all they want to do is sell you something. Have you read some of the tripe in those little trucker magazines- they're only interested in one thing, advertising jobs. That chain laws website, it's a real simple question, is there or isn't there a certain time period like Nov 1 to April 1 that you have to carry chains?

Maybe I'm just trying to justify myself. I need to read OTG's post closely. Somebody is wrong on these carry laws, either OTG or Roadhog. I don't want to prove anyone wrong, I just want to get the right information for myself.

Ok, vavega, your call. I prefer to make nice, but if you want to scrap, I warn you, I'm a master debater and a cunning linguist!
You won't get a fight with Vavega. She is a sweetheart, and one of the real helpful people here. When you are here a long time, you reach a saturation point, and sometimes need a break, thats all.

When it's winter, I carry my chains all the time. I've even used them here in Michigan, and we have no chain laws. When I go OTR...it's 48 and Canada...so I just carry them, and hope I don't need them, but at least I know I'm legal, and can throw them if I need to.

I know you don't want to buy the chains, or have to use them or have to carry the extra weight. I need to ask...what States will you be driving in this winter? What routes are you planning to go?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Carl...You can buy (If QC is to cheap to provide them) light weight "Cable Chains" to satisfy the "Carry Law" requirements. A few years ago Yellow, ABF and a few others tried to just use cables as regular running chains...but cables while functional, don't work all that well. They will get a truck unstuck.
All Miller wants the trucks to do is meet the "Carry" requirement. In Beaumont they have 4 tool boxes that are easy to load and only weigh 40 pounds. There are enough Cables to satisfy all the Western States "Carry" laws in each box.

Don't mistake a "Carry" law for the actual "Chain" law. They are different cats. All a carry law does, is require you to have the chains available on the truck. It does not mean you have to put the chains on the wheels. The "Chain" laws however, are specific as to how each state wants chains placed on the axles and wheels.

What did you do last winter with Landstar???

What did you do before last winter??

It's kind of late to be worried about the Carry Law, since tomorrow is the deadline for most western states to require trucks to be "Carrying" chains.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Carl...You can buy (If QC is to cheap to provide them) light weight "Cable Chains" to satisfy the "Carry Law" requirements. A few years ago Yellow, ABF and a few others tried to just use cables as regular running chains...but cables while functional, don't work all that well. They will get a truck unstuck.
All Miller wants the trucks to do is meet the "Carry" requirement. In Beaumont they have 4 tool boxes that are easy to load and only weigh 40 pounds. There are enough Cables to satisfy all the Western States "Carry" laws in each box.

Don't mistake a "Carry" law for the actual "Chain" law. They are different cats. All a carry law does, is require you to have the chains available on the truck. It does not mean you have to put the chains on the wheels. The "Chain" laws however, are specific as to how each state wants chains placed on the axles and wheels.

What did you do last winter with Landstar???

What did you do before last winter??

It's kind of late to be worried about the Carry Law, since tomorrow is the deadline for most western states to require trucks to be "Carrying" chains.
Landstar gave us a breakdown of what we needed in order to travel the Western states. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are just plain wrong about the carry laws. I was in Denver one winter looking around, thinking about buying chains. A snow storm had hit, I lost a load or two, and I guess I was thinking about being able to go West, or wherever.

Anyway, it was a really bad snow but I didn't have chains. I went back East somehow and I never needed them. Vavega gave a link to the WYDOT website and they don't say anything about a requirement to carry. The other link only indicated Washington has a carry law. After I get unloaded tomorrow, I may have more time to go digging around.

If you think, for instance, Wyoming has a carry law, see if you can find the exact dates- I bet there aren't any.

I see the chains for sale everywhere, but I don't see the cables. I'd be interested in something cheaper and lighter since I don't plan to use them anyway.

Didn't Steve read the regulations about how to make a logbook? Where's Steve? We need Steve.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

not to worry lowrange, i would love to start over too. as you can tell i suck as a "fighter", it's not my nature, so you'd win anyway.

i don't see as either roadie or bigorangeguy being wrong. it all depends on where they got their information. look closely at the 2nd link i gave you. notice there's no date on it? the trouble with a lot of the info you find on the web is that it's old. that's the biggest reason i gave you the tire chain co.'s site. within that one bookmark you have all the links for each state in the west that require chains, so you know you'll be getting updated info.

here are a couple of good examples

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tru...ain_laws.shtml

http://ezinearticles.com/?Truckers-A...Law!&id=826698

ps. go into your user CP and scroll to the bottom. change your editor from basic to standard and you'll get some smilies.

Last edited by vavega; 10-14-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavega View Post
not to worry lowrange, i would love to start over too. as you can tell i suck as a "fighter", it's not my nature, so you'd win anyway.

i don't see as either roadie or bigorangeguy being wrong. it all depends on where they got their information. look closely at the 2nd link i gave you. notice there's no date on it? the trouble with a lot of the info you find on the web is that it's old. that's the biggest reason i gave you the tire chain co.'s site. within that one bookmark you have all the links for each state in the west that require chains, so you know you'll be getting updated info.

here are a couple of good examples

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tru...ain_laws.shtml

http://ezinearticles.com/?Truckers-A...Law!&id=826698

ps. go into your user CP and scroll to the bottom. change your editor from basic to standard and you'll get some smilies.
I've really got to move today, but I can't wait to get my smilies back (insert your favorite here)! That really is a nice trick using the white typeface, vavega, I think I'm going to use that one!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Landstar gave us a breakdown of what we needed in order to travel the Western states. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are just plain wrong about the carry laws. I was in Denver one winter looking around, thinking about buying chains. A snow storm had hit, I lost a load or two, and I guess I was thinking about being able to go West, or wherever.

Anyway, it was a really bad snow but I didn't have chains. I went back East somehow and I never needed them. Vavega gave a link to the WYDOT website and they don't say anything about a requirement to carry. The other link only indicated Washington has a carry law. After I get unloaded tomorrow, I may have more time to go digging around.

If you think, for instance, Wyoming has a carry law, see if you can find the exact dates- I bet there aren't any.

I see the chains for sale everywhere, but I don't see the cables. I'd be interested in something cheaper and lighter since I don't plan to use them anyway.

Didn't Steve read the regulations about how to make a logbook? Where's Steve? We need Steve.

LOL...Your right Carl....Wyoming does not specify actual DATES to carry. I guess they assume a person whom drives truck has some common sense.

Here is the Wyoming link as far as their chain law is concerned.
http://dot.state.wy.us/Default.jsp?sCode=vehmm

and the link to what they say,
http://dot.state.wy.us/Default.jsp?sCode=whpcb

Here is the CALTRANS link with their various chain imformation,
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...de/chains.html
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...ins.html#dates

California seems to be a bit like Wyoming...they assume a truck driver has common sense.

Here is the link for Washington State. thisone is at the WSP website.
http://www.wa.gov/wsp/traveler/chainbw.pdf

And this one is on the WADOT website.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/commercialvehicle/chain_req.htm

WA changed the dates. It is now Nov 1 to April 1. It used to be October 15 to April 15.

TruckersReport is good for somethng after all. http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tru..._laws.shtml#WA

It's coming on to winter travel season Carl. Why stress on something that happens each and every year?

Last edited by Orangetxguy; 10-14-2008 at 04:43 PM.