User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Best suspension for heavy hauling

What would be the best suspension to have in a truck, which is to be used for heavy-hauling, and periodic forays into the bush ? I'm referring to a truck which has 13.2 front ends, and 46 rears, with 11mm frames, and has a GVW of approx 140,000 lbs ?

Currently, I drive a Volvo with a Hendrickson suspension, which is spec'd out for heavy-hauling, but the suspension isn't quite up to scratch when I go off-pavement with it. Our Kenworths, on the other hand, have the 8-bag thingy, which makes for a much better ride. What would be your recommendations ? Thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

I Heavy Haul and just use the standard KW bags (I do carry a spare). The lift axle has Hendrickson air bags and is rated at 20,000. My trailer is a TK 3+3+3 with Hendrickson bags. Most I have had on is it 198,00 plus my normal empty weight of 78,000 with no problem and that one was on some pretty rough roads going into a mine.
I take it when you are saying 13.2 front end you are meaning 13200 front axle, not enough !!! need a 20,000 front with 12 inch tires.
When HHing always best to spec way beyond what you think you might need, both truck, trailer and tie downs. Load I have on now, by FMCSA only needs 9 1/2 chains, sucker has 14 and that is only because I couldn't find anyplace else to hang one