User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Technically, depreciation should coincide with the usable life of the equipment, establishing a residual value at the end of the term. Most don't do this and simply depreciate it out because they'd rather have the immediate tax benefit now. They don't realize that when they go to sell, they give back much of that benefit.
I've talked to several accountants, both trucking and non-trucking, and all seem to agree that to do it properly, a Class 8 vehicle must be depreciated on a 3 year cycle.

Personally, I'd rather pay the tax when I sell than pay the tax now. I don't like giving free loans to the IRS.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange
One last one, Rev? I don't want to give this chick too long of a leash.

She says I can only write off half of that $52/day per diem. I thought it was more than that (2007). Which is it?
50% is what someone who is not subject to the HOS rules can write off. Last year, I think it was 75%, but don't quote me on that. It's in the IRS literature specifically as "individuals subject to Hours of Service".
You're right and now I'm getting nervous.

Really though, I think I've already lost opportunities to lower my taxes. I think we've already discussed most of the variables here, I don't think there is anything left.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Board Icon

That's the problem with a crappy accountant or tax preparer. Even if they screw up, it's still your fault.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I've talked to several accountants, both trucking and non-trucking, and all seem to agree that to do it properly, a Class 8 vehicle must be depreciated on a 3 year cycle.
Right, but nowhere are there instructions to depreciate 100%. The business is supposed to figure out what the residual value at the end of the term will be (what will it be worth) and the difference between that and the initial sales price is how much should be depreciated. Most simply depreciate 100% and then are stuck paying the capital gains when the sell. Actually, what often happens is, when faced with the tax bite, they trade in the vehicle on a new one. They don't have the tax bite from capital gains, but their acquisition cost, and therefore their depreciation, on the new truck is lowered. My only point is that, in the end, the IRS usually gets roughly the same amount.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Even the per diem has 2 different rates. There's a high and low. Find an accountant that knows this as well.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Even the per diem has 2 different rates. There's a high and low. Find an accountant that knows this as well.
I got them back. The final bill wasn't so bad ($3700) and everything looks about right. I'll need to go through them more thoroughly though, and I'll be sure to check on the rate she used.

I do know this, I paid in $7000 in estimated taxes and she only wrote down $6800. When I told her about it, she said 'that's what you told me.' I don't know what I told her, but I was reading it off to her and I know it was wrong as soon as I saw it. She wasn't about to change it, though.

Either way, it's wrapped up. The IRS may refund the difference anyway. Otherwise, maybe I'll have to file an amended return later. My immediate goal is to find a new job.