User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Opinions on a truck

My company is considering selling my truck, and I'm considering buying it. I just need your thoughts on the truck. Here are the specs:

2002 Volvo 770/780 (originally owned by USXpress)
876,000 miles
ECU shows an average of 6.5mpg over the life of the truck
450hp ISX - uses/loses no oil
10spd autoshift
3.42 rears
Body is about 95% condition

The transmission was rebuilt less than 3 months ago. Both rear ends were replaced about 5-6 months ago. To the best of my knowledge, and our shop, there has never been any major mechanical engine work done.

I've driven this truck myself for about 15 months. In that time, other than when the transmission went out (the hi/low range splitter ate itself), it's only had minor problems, such as water lines, maxi's, etc.

The ECU average mpg is pretty consistent with what I currently get out of it. We haul heavy (42k+ on average) into and out of central WV. When I take a load into/out of TX, I see an average of 10-11mpg @ 64mph (our governed speed).

I'm thinking that I can buy the truck in the range of $20-24,000. They'll put a new set of tires all around on it if I purchase as well (caps on the drives).

So, whaddya think?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Opinion on the truck differs from opinion on whether or not you should buy a truck. But if you're going to buy a truck, it doesn't sound like a bad deal.

You're always taking a chance, but it sounds like its got a good history- and 6.5 mpg is nothing to laugh at! We never got better than 5.2 in either of our two Volvos- 2000 with 46/500 Detroit and 2004 with a 565 Cummins.

Especially since you know the driver who was in it for the last 15 months. You're hedging your bets. Something could still go miserable wrong, but you know a lot more about this truck than you do about some other truck out there that you haven't been driving for 15 months.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

If your in the market for a truck I don't see how you could go wrong buying one that you are personally familiar with.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Other than the caps it sounds good. Go the extra cost and have some good low rr tires and you mpg should come up also.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 PM

If you have 15 months in the truck you know everything there is to know about how it runs. Sound like it is in pretty good health.

Since you're buying you probably are wanting to keep it for more than 300,000 more miles so why not consider putting a set of Michelin super singles on? I run them on my rig and my adjusted fuel expense per mile is at 10.66 cents for the last quarter. (details) Testing has shown an increase of MPG by 9% or more using super singles, plus they reduce weight by about 200 pounds per axle compared to duals with steel rims.

Why 300,000 miles? That is about how far I got with the ones I had on my truck when I ran for CFI.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

How much weight savings do you get by switching to singles? I'd like to get an apu if I buy the truck, but I also have to take into consideration the weight I'm already working with. Right now I can haul 45-45,500. Over that and I've got trouble. Usually with a full load, I run about 11,500-11,700 on the steers. Also, what kind of changeover cost would there be (as an estimate)?

Another issue with an apu on this truck would be where to put it. The truck has the full fairings, but they're not the easily removable ones like the 2004+ Volvo's. The fuel tanks are mounted mid to rear under the cab (the fuel port is at the back of the cab). So, I'd either have to have the passenger tank turned and moved forward to mount the apu at the rear, or would have to come up with some way to make one of the fairings easy to remove.

Right now everything is in the "wait and see" stage. The shop has mentioned that they're considering selling. I told them that if they do, I want to be notified first. So, just gotta see how things go.

Thanks for the opinions. I think that if I was to buy a truck, I wouldn't be going wrong with this one.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I think you need a min. of 30" free frame space for an APU. On the Pete 387 we used a 150gal. tank on drivers side, and a 100gal tank passenger side to make the space.

Schneider has mounted to Volvo 780's. See if you can eyeball one of their set ups.
http://bulktransporter.com/news/Schneider47/

basic install guide...
http://www.peakpowertools.com/v/vspf...ationGuide.pdf
Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The advantage you have with this truck is that you have been driving it and know it's general condition. The down side is the high mileage. You are basically on borrowed time without having already had major engine work. On the other hand, there are more trucks around today that have crossed the million mile mark without having an in-frame. If you decide to buy the truck, I would start putting as much money aside as quickly as possible for the inevitable in-frame. A friend of mine recently had his N14 rebuilt and it cost him about $10,000. I would allow up to $15,000 to be safe. The cost of a rebuild will vary due to what is needed.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Senior Board Member

It seems like when you drive a company truck things are GREAT and no problems but when you buy it that is when all the mechanical problems start to happen. I can't control Murphy's law ya know!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Opinions on a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
When I take a load into/out of TX, I see an average of 10-11mpg @ 64mph (our governed speed).
I'd say buy it. You could probably sell it for millions to R and D of any engine manufacturer.

BTW, that avatar kills! :lol: