User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Roadlink,Pulling Containers

Just wondering if anyone knows about Roadlink or about being a O/O pulling containers?THX
Old 09-10-2008, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Being an o/o pulling containers pay wise isn't the best but that depends on who your pulling for too! Also it depends on the company I believe you get paid round trip on all your loads, you pick up at a port usually and you take it to it's destination and then deadhead back to port. If you can't make port you can drop it on the yard and have a driver dray it meaning they take your box to port and you have to pay for it and that is usually $50 again depends on the company. Also if you can't make port you can ask whoever runs the terminal to have a driver bring the load and set it on the yard. With containers you have 20, 40, and 45 foot chassis. There is a difference between a standard chassis and a co-op chassis. a standard chassis is where a specific companies boxes go on their chassis such as if your pulling an Evergreen chassis only Evergreen boxes can go on an Evergreen Chassis. Now if it says co-op on the side then pretty much any box can go on that chassis! Also each chassis/box comes out a specific port and I believe there will usually be 3-4 ports in an area. Now if you doing rail yard work I'm not too familiar with that, I'm only really familiar with seaport operations. Hopefully I have been of some help to ya! Oh yeah if your doing seaports and your based of oh let's say Charleston, South Carolina. Your only gonna go to ports in Charleston, South Carolina since your box/chassis came out of port there it has to go back to that same port you got it out of.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Also I forgot to mention there will probably be times where you go somewhere and live load and bring it back to port for export.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
Being an o/o pulling containers pay wise isn't the best but that depends on who your pulling for too! Also it depends on the company I believe you get paid round trip on all your loads, you pick up at a port usually and you take it to it's destination and then deadhead back to port. If you can't make port you can drop it on the yard and have a driver dray it meaning they take your box to port and you have to pay for it and that is usually $50 again depends on the company. Also if you can't make port you can ask whoever runs the terminal to have a driver bring the load and set it on the yard. With containers you have 20, 40, and 45 foot chassis. There is a difference between a standard chassis and a co-op chassis. a standard chassis is where a specific companies boxes go on their chassis such as if your pulling an Evergreen chassis only Evergreen boxes can go on an Evergreen Chassis. Now if it says co-op on the side then pretty much any box can go on that chassis! Also each chassis/box comes out a specific port and I believe there will usually be 3-4 ports in an area. Now if you doing rail yard work I'm not too familiar with that, I'm only really familiar with seaport operations. Hopefully I have been of some help to ya! Oh yeah if your doing seaports and your based of oh let's say Charleston, South Carolina. Your only gonna go to ports in Charleston, South Carolina since your box/chassis came out of port there it has to go back to that same port you got it out of.
Have you received your CDL yet LL ???

If so when did you start hauling cans ???
Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't haul cans my dad does!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:29 AM

I did intermodal work in St Louis for the past five years, and it has it's ups and downs. Where I was at 50% was empty and still received the same rate and FCS. In St Louis now all 20, 40, 45/48 chassis are marked MWCP and any box can be popped on there. The NS, UP, CSX, and BN have their own chassis for 53's like EMHU's, CSXU's, ect.

The major deterrent with Intermodal is said equipment. It is not maintained by anyone it seems. Tires have been re-capped well beyond the legal limit. It's not uncommon for you to have a tire failure and the tire guy not be able to find a DOT# on the casing. Brakes are usually poor if there are any at all :x And lights may or may not work correctly. Also count on most chassis to dog-leg about a foot in either direction. You may need an oversize permit :shock:

But, you can be home alot, the pay isn't bad, and work is pretty consistant.