User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
I once hauled a die for casting aluminum from Cleveland to a little south of Appleton, WI. The shipper was Alcoa, and the die would cast landing gear struts for commercial aircraft. Under the permit, None of the axles could be over 20,000 pounds. That meant 4 axles at 20,000, and the steers at 12,000. Like Gman said... 92,000 pounds. If you want to go beyond that, you'd better have more axles.
I'm 6 axles. The 3 on the trailer are rated at 25,000, and 70,000 within 16 feet.

The highest I've been permitted is 112,000, though my actual was a little under 110,000 gross. This particular offer would have put me at 115,000 and change, which is still within the limits. I'm 39,000 or so when empty.

I hemmed and hawed enough, and repeated a number, so the conversation sorta fizzled.

The first time I talked to this office was when they called me and used words like partial, and 2,500 from IL to NOLA.

I didn't even know who I was talking to, before I became churlish. A couple of weeks or a month later, they loaded me for better than 2,300 for a light load going 50 miles, after 100 mile dead head.

We good friends, now.
Just this one deal was a little beyond our ability to compromise.
Liberals - Relentless, Vile, Sniveling, Whining, Lying, Vitriolic Complainers.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Senior Board Member

I once (stupidly) hauled 123,000 in a t/t rated for 88,500. Middle of the night cleaning out the bunkers of sawdust, shavings, and bark the day before Thanksgiving. Well the damn logs they were processing had come from a really old pile that had been watered more than normal. The bark was really heavy. Plus, the bunker was jammed and a couple hundred pounds would fall out each time I opened the doors until bam, a whole bunch fell out. Bad times. I limped it in and dumped it at a Kingsford briquette plant.

So, so stupid. :shock:
Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 AM
Board Regular

Ohio steel haulers run around at 121,000 lbs all the time with a permit. They can use any tandem trailer they want under it. The smart ones use a heavier duty trailer with a spread but its not required. Indiana guys can run the same kinds of weights also with a permit.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I never want to over load my equipment. My trailer is rated for up to 100,000 pounds, but there is NO way that I would attempt to put that much weight on my trailer. There are some steel haulers who used to take 2 loads at the same time so that they can get twice the pay rate. Not only is it dangerous, it could cost you dearly should you become involved in an accident. I don't over load my equipment. If I can't make money on something without having to over load my equipment, I figure it is too cheap and that I don't need to haul it.
Help me out, here, GMAN.
If your trailer is rated at 100,000, how close to the limit would you go, considering just the trailer limitations?

I always thought that these ratings were conservative, by a margin of 20 to 25%.

I don't know my limitations, but I do know that things can get out of hand, real quick.

In fact, I keep thinking about that guy that lost the train outside Cincinnati. The more I think about it, the more I believe that he had to hit the breaks, and sheered the king pin. Pure speculation, but seems plausible.

I saw a guy with the same rig as me. He said he had 85,000 on.

That blew me away. I would entertain such a job, only if the load paid enough to buy a new trailer.

Even then, I'd be worried about damage to the truck...

Just how do you determine your limitations, while maintaining a safety margin?
Liberals - Relentless, Vile, Sniveling, Whining, Lying, Vitriolic Complainers.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by special k
Ohio steel haulers run around at 121,000 lbs all the time with a permit. They can use any tandem trailer they want under it. The smart ones use a heavier duty trailer with a spread but its not required. Indiana guys can run the same kinds of weights also with a permit.
In NC you have to have a tri axle tractor and tri axle trailer to get a 121,000lb permit.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I never want to over load my equipment. My trailer is rated for up to 100,000 pounds, but there is NO way that I would attempt to put that much weight on my trailer. There are some steel haulers who used to take 2 loads at the same time so that they can get twice the pay rate. Not only is it dangerous, it could cost you dearly should you become involved in an accident. I don't over load my equipment. If I can't make money on something without having to over load my equipment, I figure it is too cheap and that I don't need to haul it.
Help me out, here, GMAN.
If your trailer is rated at 100,000, how close to the limit would you go, considering just the trailer limitations?

I always thought that these ratings were conservative, by a margin of 20 to 25%.

I don't know my limitations, but I do know that things can get out of hand, real quick.

In fact, I keep thinking about that guy that lost the train outside Cincinnati. The more I think about it, the more I believe that he had to hit the breaks, and sheered the king pin. Pure speculation, but seems plausible.

I saw a guy with the same rig as me. He said he had 85,000 on.

That blew me away. I would entertain such a job, only if the load paid enough to buy a new trailer.

Even then, I'd be worried about damage to the truck...

Just how do you determine your limitations, while maintaining a safety margin?

Just because my trailer is rated at 100,000 pounds doesn't mean that I would ever consider hauling that much weight. I stick to legal limits. I figure those limits were put in place for a reason. In years past, some drivers would take double loads of steel. They would get double the single run rate by putting twice as much weight as they should on their trailers. When you add that much extra weight you are putting much more wear on your equipment than you should. It not only affects the structure of the trailer, but bearings, tires and other components of the trailer. I have hauled heavy equipment, but not on a regular basis. If I cannot haul a load legally, then I won't haul it. I can't see wearing out my equipment prematurely for a few extra bucks. A trailer will last for many years if it is take care of and not continuously over loaded. If a load doesn't pay enough at the legal weight then the rate is too cheap. If you put 100,000 pounds on your trailer and factor in the weight of your equipment, you will be somewhere around 134,000 pounds. That is 54,000 pounds over the legal weight limit. I have no doubt some people have done it, but I would not risk it.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Board Regular

3 of my 5 will bust 122 mph. I won't run that way any more. Were I to catch one of my drivers at it, they'd be gone instantly, if not with an arse whoopin, some busted up pride anyway.

My Wilson trailer is rated at 90,000 gvw - just for the trailer, but I'm not doing that either.

Just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Rookie

"Just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done."

Exactly, I mean I have grossed 135,000 with a 42' Merritt hopper back in the 80's, but it my trailer, I bought it new (i.e.,knew the equipment) & didn't do it but a couple times (from San Antonio to Mize, MS)

We used to load 90,000 # of cottonseed on 40' open tops and run every nite from N Louisiana to Ft. Worth & the only reason we quit (and we did)TX ccame in on the oil mill and the scales are certified annually & somebody finally figured out we don't have to catch em on the road, we'll just come by every day and using your (oil mill's) documentation issue tickets to everyone involved. That not only took the profit motive out of it, the oil mill wouldn't even scale you much less unload you if you were heavy .

Long way of saying, they'll take a whole lot more than you think but ...

And there is a big spread between 100 mph and 110. I mean powerwise.I don't doubt 120 for a minute with one of the old big block engines, but you did it with gears, 2 OD's, etc, not 3500-4000 rpm. I can't imagine anyone with the investment of a KT (cummins) or V8 Cat doing much over 2000 rpm-there's no benefit & too much risk. At least in my opinion, the only thing I've learned for sure in trucking is never say never.

The main thing is not being a fool & its hard to that anywhere anytime over 95. I've actually had long conversations at 85-90 and walked away with mutual respect (& no ticket) but we're talkin 3am, no traffic & 70 mph speed limit. Speeding tickets are just a cost of business as long as you keep them 15 under (since CDL) & you would would be surprised what you can get away with the right attitude and a low profile.

But I remember every break I've ever been given & I always respect the man's area after that. I pretty much had to give up running 2 lanes after the man cut me loose 1 day 82/55. But it was 1pm no traffic straight elevated 2 lane blacktop for miles. And I told him when he asked I knew exactly how fast I was going and I was coasting down to about 70 because I was meeting a 4 wheeler (which turned out to be him) which he then agreed with because he said he shot me again & I was 71 so he initially thought I was running a birdog. But I I was straight with, I just asked if he could cut me a little slack because of the CDL thing, he ran my record (which having a good record helps you keep a good record) he came back & said rather than issue a ticket which he could not swear as being true & valid, I had best never meet him again running over 65 on one of his 2 lanes. And he never will.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Board Regular

With 3.08 rears and tall rubber with .73 top gear it only takes a little over 2100rpm to go 120mph. A KTTA cummins built properly will turn very high rpm but for argument sake lets be conservative and top out at 2700. That gives you 150mph. A 1000 plus hp diesel will push 2400lbs torque. It will still be accelerating at the 2400 rpm required to hit 135mph.

I never said I or anyone else drove a loaded truck at those speeds. I am sure its been done but I wouldn't. My boss was pulling an empty flat when I paced him. I wouldn't trust the tires loaded but the light weight of an empty isn't so bad. The speed rating is CYA for the tire company at the maximum rated weight for the tire.