User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Actually yes. The new gf and me called it quits already, so I went downtown with 2 girls last night until 6am.

lol.....I have a huge grin on my face right now.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: The wisdom of the ages, for O/Os, is vanishing fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange
Really, is anyone anywhere talking about how to make "good money" running cheaply?
Actually there are plenty! :P
It's all the 90cpm+fsc companies, and some more. The funny part is, that they could make a "good money" if the volume is there, and they don't mind to spend their lives in the truck. :roll:
There are also some "independent" who sees only gross, and get blinded by it.
"Cash flow mirage" Those are bound to fail no matter how hard they try. :sad:
There are all kind of "business people" on the road, but if statistics didn't lie, only 10% will succeed... :roll:
:roll:
Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree Solo. The volume is there for me and any other driver that wants it and I'll keep running. I see no need to sit for an extra $.20 cents per mile. I've been stuck too many times on a Friday playing hardball then sitting for the weekend and then some when I could have made a lot more money.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: The wisdom of the ages, for O/Os, is vanishing fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange
Really, is anyone anywhere talking about how to make "good money" running cheaply?
Actually there are plenty! :P
It's all the 90cpm+fsc companies, and some more. The funny part is, that they could make a "good money" if the volume is there, and they don't mind to spend their lives in the truck. :roll:
There are also some "independent" who sees only gross, and get blinded by it.
"Cash flow mirage" Those are bound to fail no matter how hard they try. :sad:
There are all kind of "business people" on the road, but if statistics didn't lie, only 10% will succeed... :roll:
:roll:
I still don't see any rookies preaching the virtues of "cheap freight" to the veteran gods of trucking. :P All those guys running for 90cpm + fsc (I'm not doing all that better myself, if you factor in my added costs) would happily make more if they knew how (given that not everyone wants to run on his own authority, hustle customers...).

Sounds to me like this whole thread is a backhanded slap at NotSteve. And, if that's the case, why not call out NotSteve directly instead of doing it like this?

Steve, FTR, I haven't followed your experiences with GMAN or whatever else you may or not be saying on this board about freight rates. Myself, I just don't like it when guys take it as a personal matter that shippers and brokers offer cheap freight- just don't take it! At Landstar, there would be full truckloads paying the BCO 60cpm all in. It was shocking, it was exasperating when I was having trouble finding something, but it was their right to post that #@% and it was my right to throw up and keep looking. :lol:

As a consumer, I'm all the time looking for deals. This three day weekend, thanks to William Shatner, I'm staying in a pretty nice motel in Dallas for $35 + tax per night. Is it fair? Can they continue to operate with rates like that? Don't I have feelings for the owners of the motel? No! They're covering their variable costs with an otherwise empty room and they have to make their profits on people paying the full rate some other time. It isn't hard, it's supply and demand. My gripe is with the people who gripe because they want to buy stuff cheaply but take it personal when someone offers them a lowball price for their services. Where's the sense of fairness? What these people are doing is asking for all the rules to be changed in their favor- when they shop, they want cutthroat bottom dollar prices; when they 'sell' their services, they they get offended if the market rate is less than profitable even when the supply of trucks far outstrips the available freight. Do we believe in free markets or don't we? If we do, deal with it- the good and the bad. If we don't, and this is the only time I'll allow myself to say this, go to Russia! :lol:
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Senior Board Member

I've done LTL loads for $3.00 per mile coast to coast. Averaged $2.00 per mile on 90% of my loads and instead of sitting around in Portland for the holiday weekend I'm taking a very light load to Hollywood for $1.80 per mile. I'm not complaining and I'm doing pretty freaking good taking into consideration my personal financial status.

I would love to hear the truth from Doghouse. I feel he's my peer sort of. I'm going to venture to guess he's doing about the same as me although he tends to keep his mouth shut.

While I'm out I run about 3,000 miles per week every week. If someone wants to know what they could count on right NOW given fuel costs I would say $1.90 per mile on the average doing ALL 48 STATES.

Everyone knows I love the West and the wide open spaces and this is the Gods honest truth what I make and I have plenty of cash left over at the end of every week!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
I agree Solo. The volume is there for me and any other driver that wants it and I'll keep running. I see no need to sit for an extra $.20 cents per mile. I've been stuck too many times on a Friday playing hardball then sitting for the weekend and then some when I could have made a lot more money.

That is funny. Usually I get the highest paying loads on the weekend since nobody really wants to run on a weekend. I decided not to run this weekend and spend it with my wife and family and taking my birthday into consideration. IF I had my truck posted for Fri. (even in Dallas) I would have got a bazillion phone calls from brokers. 2.00 per mile is an ok average if your costs are not outrageously high. You can get 4.00 per mile for a truckload rate if they really need a truck and the load is going 500-600 miles. In other words around 2000 to 2400. Their first offer though is usually 1300-1500,around 3-3.20 per mile.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve

That is funny. Usually I get the highest paying loads on the weekend since nobody really wants to run on a weekend. I decided not to run this weekend and spend it with my wife and family and taking my birthday into consideration. IF I had my truck posted for Fri. (even in Dallas) I would have got a bazillion phone calls from brokers. 2.00 per mile is an ok average if your costs are not outrageously high. You can get 4.00 per mile for a truckload rate if they really need a truck and the load is going 500-600 miles. In other words around 2000 to 2400. Their first offer though is usually 1300-1500,around 3-3.20 per mile.
Happy Birthday there DD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeypOvsY91Q
Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I usually seem to get some of my best rates late in the week, too, DD60. Whether someone can make money at $1.50 or $2.50 will depend on his operating costs. If he has high truck payments he will need to run at a higher rate than someone with no payments or a very cheap monthly payment. There are a lot of people who take the cheaper loads who would not be able to run for the same rates if they had big truck payments. Cam, I am not talking about anyone in particular, just anyone who owns a truck. I am not taking into consideration replacement costs of the equipment, just outgo or payments. I have equipment that I paid for several years ago. The guy who has a $2,000 monthly truck payment will need to make $0.20/mile more (based upon 10,000 miles per month) on a load to make the same money as the guy who has no payments to earn the same money. I could run for less than the guy with the big truck payments, although I probably won't. There are some guys running for $0.90/mile+fsc who are barely making it. I spoke with a guy a few months ago who told me that he averaged $1.50/mile with his fsc leasing to JB Hunt. He said he was making a lot of money. I think that most guys who are running for those rates are doing good to break even. At most they are likely only getting drivers wages. If they had to pay a driver to operate the truck they would do good to break even. I won't tell anyone what they should or should not run their truck for. I have my minimum and that works for my business. Steve says that he is making money and happy running for $1.90. DD may need $3-4/mile to earn what he needs for his business. I know a guy who usually gets around $2.40 going to California or the Northwest and about $2.10 coming back across the country. He would like to make more, but says that he is making money at those rates. He prefers the miles and running West. The guy with JB Hunt is happy with $1.50. So I guess everyone is happy with the rate they are getting. The most important thing is how you manage your business. One guy may make money at $2/mile and another lose money at $5/mile. There are some people who would be broke no matter how much money they make. I have known some wealthy people who actually live from paycheck to paycheck. They just don't know how to manage their money. Some people are good at making money but not at managing it. Others have a problem making the money but are good managers. The good money manager will always come out on top.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
The good money manager will always come out on top.
And that is the truth! 8)
It's very simple task, somehow, very few people, are good at it! :roll:

Cam. I also agree with you, except , the same thing, like you are shopping for the best buy, you should shop, for the best sell. Of course, you should know the value of your product... :wink:
And remember;-Everything is a compromise!8)

And since everything on this forum is about Steve :lol: :wink: , i will be first to admit, the guy have common sense, doesn't mean i agree with his philosophy, but he is getting there, no doubt in my mind! :wink: 8)
Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
The good money manager will always come out on top.
And that is the truth! 8)
It's very simple task, somehow, very few people, are good at it! :roll:

Cam. I also agree with you, except , the same thing, like you are shopping for the best buy, you should shop, for the best sell. Of course, you should know the value of your product... :wink:
And remember;-Everything is a compromise!8)

And since everything on this forum is about Steve :lol: :wink: , i will be first to admit, the guy have common sense, doesn't mean i agree with his philosophy, but he is getting there, no doubt in my mind! :wink: 8)
Ok Solo, that's a good point on the 'sale'.

I worked hard, I struggled to get the rates I thought I needed with Landstar. Now, I'm just talking about my situation, that's not saying the Rev. or others aren't doing much better there. I'm saying I struggled. I didn't settle for the cheap stuff, at least I tried really hard not too. Sometimes, I took 20 or more phone calls trying to find a suitable load. Toward the end there, I was a little weary of it, I was very concerned because of the way they handle fsc and the way their fsc seemed to lag behind skyrocketing fuel prices.

Where I'm at right now, being paid by the mile, I say 'the jury is still out' with regards to how profitable this is. I keep hearing complaints from the veteran QC O/Os, they hate it, and they think the pencil-necked bean counters are running the company down the tubes! Point being, I struggled to get the highest priced 'sale' in my last contract. This is only my second contract and again I'm concerned that I'm making more than just a truck driver's mileage rate for all I have to do to own this truck. In fact, If I'd get off the internet reading about everything from politics to college football, I'd be going over my pay statements right now.

I'm all about pushing revenues up and costs down. I think this thread really was about NotSteve, though I don't care to take a position on somebody else's scrap. $1.90/mi (hub, practical or shortest?), your own trailer, own authority and own insurace, no deadhead pay... I'm a mere contractor so what do I know about those costs?