Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

Here's hoping he gets you running..and your problems slack off. My 01 has 933,330 on it. Has been in the shop all week getting some things taken care of. Hopefully I can hang with it long enough to get some $$$$ put together for a new truck....a LONESTAR truck!!!
The guy was a genius. He tried one thing then another. He was about to give up, called somebody he knew and got me a $700 quote on the towing, and then had one more idea. He loosened the connections of the fuel lines to the high pressure fuel pump (I know what they look like, I hope I'm describing this correctly), let some air escape and closed them back up. He said, 'that's it, that's the last thing I know to do.' Truck started. I told him I love him. He was perplexed, but I think he saw I was hot and tired. $300 and I'm on my way.

I drive to McDonalds to get him the money (ATM). I drive to the next McDonalds and go for the dollar menu. I drive to OK City and buy fuel. I drive another hundred miles or so and call it a night. I drive to the consignee. I check in, then I drive to the scale. Next I drive to the unloading rack. So far, so good, right? I start my truck and get my compressor going and then a few minutes later...you guessed it...engine shuts off, same fault codes...

Well I got unloaded and told the boss I am down for the weekend. I called the guy back up and wrote down everything mobile repair truck number three has to do- pressurize the fuel tanks, bleed the air off, yada, yada, yada.

Momma told me there would be weeks like this. :cry:
I'm glad the website worked for you Cam. If you didn't already bookmark it...go back and do so!

Maybe you have a venting problem(lack of) going on..... or maybe a bad fuel line in there??
Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Board Regular

guess it is sometimes just luck and being in the right place at the right time.

I found him a job this morning from FL to TN paying $1.57/mi. It only weighs 2k lbs and takes 20'.

There are bunch of partial jobs just now going from Miami to NY paying $2700 for 1200 mi.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged
guess it is sometimes just luck and being in the right place at the right time.

I found him a job this morning from FL to TN paying $1.57/mi. It only weighs 2k lbs and takes 20'.

There are bunch of partial jobs just now going from Miami to NY paying $2700 for 1200 mi.
Ah yes, real life figures from someone actually working for a living. I'm surprised they weren't paying $4.00 per mile for those loads???? Strange. The loads to NY were probably to the Island or to the city and nobody wants those.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Board Regular

I'm trying to learn. I look for loads for my dad a lot during the day because I work nights. The more I look at the load boards the more it becomes evident that $4/mi loads are not to be found there for general flat be hauling. Maybe if someone has an inside track to freight or is a broker/carrier they can make that kind of money, but not off load boards unless you are doing partials and every partial is going exactly where you need it to go.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
The more I look at the load boards the more it becomes evident that $4/mi loads are not to be found there for general flat be hauling.
Of course they aren't. Brokers don't even need to post loads like that because they are guaranteed that someone will haul it. It is no different than the Landstar load boards. The best stuff rarely, if ever, gets posted. Yet the loads are still moved. The brokers (or in my case, agents) give those loads to people they have dealt with before. I pity you folks who are solely picking loads off of load boards. It would seem to me that it would be worth trying to get in good with a broker who has good paying freight, and to stay with them.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
The more I look at the load boards the more it becomes evident that $4/mi loads are not to be found there for general flat be hauling.
Of course they aren't. Brokers don't even need to post loads like that because they are guaranteed that someone will haul it. It is no different than the Landstar load boards. The best stuff rarely, if ever, gets posted. Yet the loads are still moved. The brokers (or in my case, agents) give those loads to people they have dealt with before. I pity you folks who are solely picking loads off of load boards. It would seem to me that it would be worth trying to get in good with a broker who has good paying freight, and to stay with them.
The problem I have seen is that brokers who have good paying freight may not always have good paying freight and most likely will not have that good paying freight when and where you need it.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You need to be careful when booking LTL's, charged. If you have to go too far out of route it may not be worth what the load pays. It takes time to put the right pieces together. Sometimes you get lucky and things fall into place. Sometimes they don't. Most people don't want to do LTL's due to the extra effort it takes to make it work. Most higher paying loads that I have gotten never made the load boards. I have gotten good paying loads off the boards, they are not going to pay the really good rates when they can get someone to take it for fuel money. As your Dad builds his reputation, he will likely have people begin to call him, especially when they know that he is an area where they need a truck. I have had people call and have told me the reason they called is due to my safety rating. It takes time to build a good safety rating. Sometimes it is the little things that help land the higher paying loads. Don't let the rates get you down. The economy is down right now. Most rates seem to be holding around $2/mile for most loads for which I have been contacted. When you look at the current rates, keep in mind we have always had seasonal fluctuations in rates. It happens every year.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Board Icon

Quote:

The problem I have seen is that brokers who have good paying freight may not always have good paying freight and most likely will not have that good paying freight when and where you need it.
That is why it pays to build a freight lane, and stick with that freight lane. Sure, hobby truckers can go wherever the latest load takes them, but businesspeople know that when you find something that works, you work the hell out of it before it is gone. Many brokers have loads which never hit the load boards that they run on a regular basis for customers. Do you think shippers change brokers every time they have a load to ship? No, they use the same brokers again and again. The same holds true for brokers and carriers - the brokers are always going to go with someone who they know does the job, and does it right. The stuff that ends up on the load boards is the stuff they can't pass off on their regular carriers.