User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

By the way, Steve. I took either 3 or 4 loads into that area in the last 2 1/2 months for that rate. One was almost $5/mile but the miles were shorter. I picked up south of Scranton and took it over to Connecticut. The broker could not get anyone to go to those areas and I held my price. Frankly, I didn't want to go and I allowed him to persuade me with the higher rate. :wink:

I will go almost anywhere that I can get a decent rate. Everyone wants to run the West. That is the main reason rates are so cheap in that area. Rates in New England are higher (or should be higher) due to people not wanting to go to that area. The last couple of weeks the rates for New England as well as a lot of other places have gone way down. Still, I won't run in New England for less as long as fuel is high. With tolls and the deadhead out, it isn't worth it. I would not run the West Coast for less than $2.50-3/mile, minimum until fuel drops dramatically. There is a good chance that I won't get it. There are too many owner operators and carriers who are willing to haul it for next to nothing. That is also fine with me. I will stick with the East coast and make more money. Less wear and tear on my equipment, cheaper fuel and higher rates. It works for me.

Sometimes it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
$4.00 per mile. I'm calling MAJOR BS on that one!!!!!!!!!!

Be more specific. Maybe for a 200 mile run but your leading people to believe you get those rates AND YOU DON'T. I know for a FACT first freaking hand!!!!! GEEZUS Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm calling you out. Get me a load going lets say 1,500+ miles for $4.00 per mile, legal load on Monday and I'll give you half the money.

You don't really know what rates I have been getting, Steve. You are probably not going to get those rates where you want to run. When you have a specific area where you want to run, then you will usually sacrifice rates. If you were to run where I do, then you would probably be getting better rates. If you want to make money in this business, you have to follow the rates. Rates have always been cheaper running back and forth from the East to West Coast. That is the main reason why I am no longer running the left coast. I prefer making money to sightseeing.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Senior Board Member

We actually got a couple of loads from Michigan to Connecticut (about 800 miles) for $4.00 a mile. Those need to be the rates going there as the pay out is terrible. We deadheaded out actually.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree, Merrick. I always count on deadheading out of New England. If something pops up then I may take it, provided the rate is decent. Unfortunately, that usually isn't the case. The first quarter of this year I took a couple of loads to Connecticut for $3.50/mile. I could have taken more at that same rate, but elected not to do it. Those loads came out of North Carolina. Remember those, Steve? You will NEVER get higher rates unless you have high expectations. You will NEVER be disappointed if you have LOW expectations. :wink:
Old 08-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
$4.00 per mile. I'm calling MAJOR BS on that one!!!!!!!!!!

Be more specific. Maybe for a 200 mile run but your leading people to believe you get those rates AND YOU DON'T. I know for a FACT first freaking hand!!!!! GEEZUS Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm calling you out. Get me a load going lets say 1,500+ miles for $4.00 per mile, legal load on Monday and I'll give you half the money.

Steve's calling out the Gman...lol.

Now that right there's funny, I don't care who ya are

I laughed so hard, I think I farted.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
Quote:

Steve's calling out the Gman...lol.

Now that right there's funny, I don't care who ya are

I laughed so hard, I think I farted.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yup, the offer still stands!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I think that's the key right there.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Quote:
I think that's the key right there.

Sorry, Steve. I don't think your heart could stand the stress of hauling for decent rates. I would not want to be responsible for your failing health. I am not your dispatcher. If you want to start getting better rates, you will need to change where you run. Why should I give away half the rate? Those we hauled for $3.50 required a side kit. Those we hauled for $4.00 didn't, but you only want to run to the left coast. At your age you may not be able to stand the shock to your system of getting good rates. Why run for $4/mile when you can get $1.83. As you know, you turned down loads that I could have gotten you several months ago for $3-3.50 coming out of the Southeast. That was before fuel went up so dramatically. You didn't want to run in that area. My philosophy is to run where the rates are best. If these people found out you would take their loads for $1.80 there would be no need to pay me and others $3.50-4.00.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Rookie

The rates are always lower east to west coast. You can gross big dollars because you can run big miles. But that doesn't make you any more profit. Expenses are higher , fuel is higher, you push those big winds going west and get lousy fuel mileage. Spend a lot of layover time, etc

Don't get me wrong, I like to run out west too, but profit per mile, the east is better. Exception is when they are short of reefers during produce spikes and there are some big baller rates off the west coast.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

i've had brokers tell me that shippers are responsible for the reduced rates :? but as usual i find that hard to believe. :roll:[/quote]

The truth is, its the truckers are reducing the rate. There are way to many trucks and drivers for the amount of freight out there.

But the sign on the back of trailors say's WERE ALWAYS HIRING O/O's.