User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I would be more concerned about the general condition of the trailer than the age. I have seen newer equipment that has been beaten up and is worn out and older that was well maintained and is in good shape. You can sometimes get a better deal on an older trailer. I would probably still be able to get somewhere between $8,500-10,000 for my '95 Fruehauf if I decided to sell it. That trailer has paid for itself many times over. One thing about flat and step decks is that they seem to depreciate down to a certain level and then the value maintains itself.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Board Regular

In 1980 I had a 38 foot flatbed that was titled as a 1937 Spencer, pulled it for several years.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
We still have a 87 double drop in the fleet. They just redid it for the second time. All new wiring,air lines, floor, new axles and sandblasted and painted. Still a nice trailer.
Must make good money with the DD
I just pulled it to Fla. and back with a 12' high 36,000 pound generator. This last redo they installed air ride. Pulled nice. I just asked the shop today about the oldest trailer we have and of the nearly 300 trailers in the fleet we still have 35th one ever bought. And thats 30 years in business
Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

It's not how old the trailer is but how it has been maintained or what you do with it. My main trailer is a 89 RGN that I lituraly bought for scrap value. It was sitting in a field with no wheels or tires and one of the three axles gone, daren't even step on the deck cuz it was so rotten. Paid $650 for it. Drug it into the shop and totally dis assembled, and I mean totally, took off stuff that wasn't probably even supposed to come off. Re built everything then came time to decide what to do with the frame as far as paint. Watching the mechanic that has a shop next door throwing "stuff" in the back of his P/U and not even marking it decided to try Rhino bed liner. Shot Preened the whole thing and had it sprayed on. After two and a half years the only marks on it are a few Cat tracks along the side rails. For about $10,000 I got a trailer that T/K would charge $65 to $70,000. The jeep and stinger I bought for it are showing Road Rash just from normal wear so when I take off in December they are gona get the same treatment.
Basicaly look for the best condition and don't worry about age unless your finance company does. And KEEP IT UP, easier to fix stuff that might be looking bad at home that on the road.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Board Regular

I just got a really great deal on a 2005 Wilson 48X102 with headache rack, side kit, aero tarp. Damn nice trailer. NONE of the rails have EVER been bumped and the deck looks like I'm hauling the first load ever on this trailer. They are out there. I sure looked at a lot of 2005 to 2007 models that were beat all to hell before I found this one. I'd say age don't matter at all compared to the overall condition of the trailer.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I usually look for a while to find the right equipment for the price I want to pay. It can take weeks or months to find the right trailer. I have seen some older trailers that have been very well maintained and new ones that are junk. I have seen the same thing with trucks. Age has little to do with the condition. Don't get in a hurry. Plan to take your time. You will get much better value for your money and take some stress off by not getting in a hurry.