User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Most profitable loads

Which trucks make the O/O the most money? What combo of truck, motor, transmission brings the best fuel efficiency, low maintenence costs, etc.?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Trucks don't create profit...freight does :wink:
Old 08-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A truck that is paid for will make the most money for the owner. As far as specs are concerned I would look at something aerodynamic such as a Kenworth T600, T2000, Peterbilt 387, Volvo, Freightliner (except the Classic), International 9400, 9200. If you get a new or newer International the ProStar is supposed to do well with the mpg's. The gearing, transmission and engine would have more to do wit the type of freight you haul and where you run. For most general applications I would probably look at gearing around 355, 10 or 13 speed transmission. I think most people seem to get better fuel mileage with Cummins, but I do pretty well with CAT. I prefer torque to fuel mileage when the difference is inconsequential. One truck that I own is a T600 with a super 10 and CAT engine. The last several times I have checked it under a load the mpg was around 6.91. That is pretty respectable. Volvo engines are supposed to be fairly fuel efficient, but there are also drawbacks such as finding someone who will work on it and parts availability. It could be better these days. I tend to stay away from the barnd specific engines, such as Volvo and Mercedes.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:49 PM

My most profitable truck is the one I currently own, it has been the most fuel efficient, has had the lowest cost per mile and has been the most reliable of the four trucks I've owned since 1989 8)
Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Senior Board Member

The number one cost right now is fuel, so speccing a fuel efficient truck is very important. Even buying a 5 year old classic vs. a new aero, the new aero may have a lower overall cost due to better mpg.

After that consideration, you want a truck that depreciates the least. What trucks depreciate the least you ask? The oldest ones, and the ones you keep for a long time.

After that, you have to consider maintenance. Doing work yourself is always cheaper(and better!) then paying someone else to do the work for you. Reliability is important, and doing your own work should increase that reliability.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
The number one cost right now is fuel, so speccing a fuel efficient truck is very important. Even buying a 5 year old classic vs. a new aero, the new aero may have a lower overall cost due to better mpg.

After that consideration, you want a truck that depreciates the least. What trucks depreciate the least you ask? The oldest ones, and the ones you keep for a long time.

After that, you have to consider maintenance. Doing work yourself is always cheaper(and better!) then paying someone else to do the work for you. Reliability is important, and doing your own work should increase that reliability.
LOL....I'm man enough to admit that I am unfit as a mechanic. I can do simple stuff yes..like swap out batteries, lights, fuses...simple stuff. If it requires anything more...I take it to a shop.

I'm just not that mechanically inclined...never have been.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Board Member

But even that simple stuff, doing a quality job on wiring, and checking battery connections every so often, you'd be surprised how some people won't do that.

Then the ECM connection to their battery corrodes, and loses connection, shutting the engine off.

200 mile tow bill, $1000+ between the tow and repair job, all because someone was too lazy to take a 9/16 wrench and tighten one connection.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM
BANNED

It is amazing that so many think it is the " truck " that makes you money.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The truck and trailer are just tools in a toolbox... It is the person who is running the biz that determines the best and most profitable use of these tools.......

Don't let the kevin Rutherford so called business model cloud ones thinking.....
Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

BigDiesel is correct about the truck only being a tool to allow you to make money. On the other hand, any cost savings, such as increased fuel mileage, is money earned. Managing your business efficiently will make money regardless of the type of truck you run. Perhaps a better way to look at it would be the type of truck you select can save you money. Hauling well paying freight and managing your costs will earn you money. Just because you generate revenue doesn't necessarily mean that you are profitable or successful. You need to show a profit.