User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Staying within a state possible?

Has anyone limited themselves to just one state and not venturing any further?

I think its called intrastate trucking? Seems like many of you claim that shorter hauls pay better? I'm wondering if theres an opperunity for making it by just staying within a state and not going national. I live in california and luckily its a big state with a big economy. If I could stay within california and find enough freight, I'd have fewer taxes and fees, be able to be home more often and have a lower insurance cost. In theory you could buy a day cab (cheaper to buy) and haul some heavy loads that others can't.

I know if I hauled a reefer in spring and summer I'd find enough freight coming out of the salinas and san joaquin valleys, but I don't know about winter and I think I'd rather go flatbed anyhow.

So does anyone stay within one state and doing ok? Anyone think this idea has potential or is it a quick way to the poor house?

Thanks,
Kevo
Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 PM

I think regional is better like a 3 or 4 state triangle.. If you limit yourself your money will be limited too..

I'm 2 1/2 years into this and still learning..

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Just get on the loadboards as a demo user and search within your state seeing if you can run around OK. If your in CA that's a pretty big state!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is usually a lot of freight going back and forth from Northern California to Southern California. You would be better off running up into Oregon and Washington and perhaps East over into Idaho, Utah and Nevada. I have known of some owners who seem to do well running from Southern California to Phoenix. If you want to stay within California, you could probably do it. For the most part you will just need to establish some contacts. I haven't been running in California much for the last 6 months, but I had a driver running up and down I-5 for several months who did pretty well. However, we usually wound up going up to Oregon or Washington for the better rates. I think it will also depend on the type of freight you want to haul. If this is something you want to do I suggest calling some brokers and perhaps do as Steve suggested in checking out some of the load boards. You may not be able to subscribe to them without having your authority. There are some free boards such as Landstar and Schneider.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Senior Board Member

The Internet Truckstop and The Truckers Edge both allow demo searches till your blue in the face without signing up.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

What would you guys say about Ontario, Canada? I'm in Guelph, ON - just half an hour away from Toronto, 100 mi from Buffalo NY and 200 mi from Detroit, MI. What states in U.S. would be good for some sort of regional trucking - using either a stepdeck or flatbed trailer? I"m not allowed to do interstating - I can move loads between any points in Canada, but if I pick up something in USA I have to take it to Canada - sort of like a shuttle.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys!

It sounds like the pros aren't really enough to justify loosing out on some loads at this point. I'm still trying to get my feet wet in trucking, however I'm looking for niches for when I do.

Whats the cost difference in insurance for running within a 500mile radius vs. coast to coast?

I wouldn't have really considered it except I remember hearing awhile ago that cal was the 5th largest economy in the world. We must have some frieght moving around for that to happen! With the bay area, sacremento, L.A., san diego, bakersfield, and fresno less than a days drive away from me it sounded like a good possibility.

I'll have to do some more research and check out those load boards as well. Just wanted to know if I was being foolish or not.

Thanks,
Kevo
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I doubt that there would be a huge difference in premiums between running 48 states and a 500 mile radius, especially where you live. Larger cities, such as LA and Chicago tend to move your rates up since the chance of having an accident are greater where there is more traffic. Insurance companies will usually ask you where you plan on running before they will quote you a rate. Once you have run for a year they will usually ask for actual miles by state before quoting you a rate. They want actual IFTA miles.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer
What would you guys say about Ontario, Canada? I'm in Guelph, ON - just half an hour away from Toronto, 100 mi from Buffalo NY and 200 mi from Detroit, MI. What states in U.S. would be good for some sort of regional trucking - using either a stepdeck or flatbed trailer? I"m not allowed to do interstating - I can move loads between any points in Canada, but if I pick up something in USA I have to take it to Canada - sort of like a shuttle.
OH, IL, PA, NY, MD, ON, QC.
Another advantage to being regional is that the brokers associate you with a certain area and you get on their speed dial when they need a truck because they know you're never too far away. They'll want you to DH into Toronto, Detroit etc when another truck falls off the load. This happens to us quite a bit.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I get some of my best paying loads by being available and not too far away from a pick up.