User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Software for O/O's

Ok, I am considering working on computer software projects tailored for drivers. What I want to know is what do you as an O/O want in software that is not available currently, or that is available but not fully suited to what you want or like. I am considering a program like DDL, but with integrated features for expense tracking, and some minor GPS integration (I.E., Automatically tell you what township you are in or near, POI system such as the truck stop guide, that will tell you how close you are to a POI., but not navigation or mapping).

Also for those small fleet managers, I am considering some sort of fleet management software, but I have to research into this and also see what the need is.

IF anyone has any ideas please let me know!
Old 07-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Board Icon
Default Re: Software for O/O's

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
I am considering a program like DDL, but with integrated features for expense tracking, and some minor GPS integration (I.E., Automatically tell you what township you are in or near, POI system such as the truck stop guide, that will tell you how close you are to a POI., but not navigation or mapping).

Also for those small fleet managers, I am considering some sort of fleet management software, but I have to research into this and also see what the need is.

It would just be clones of stuff already available.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Software for O/O's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
I am considering a program like DDL, but with integrated features for expense tracking, and some minor GPS integration (I.E., Automatically tell you what township you are in or near, POI system such as the truck stop guide, that will tell you how close you are to a POI., but not navigation or mapping).

It would just be clones of stuff already available.
That is why I asked if there are any features you would like to see not currently available.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can already find pretty much anything you want. From my perspective you would need to either have something less expensive that what is already available or something that is easier to use. Some of the all encompassing programs are thought to be too involved for some to use them. One feature that would be nice for the carriers or small fleets is to be able to automatically have the capability to import fuel tax rates each quarter rather than having to manually put them in yourself. Another would be for you to be able to file your fuel taxes electronically. My state offers that themselves, but it works with Vista. Since I don't have Vista I have never been able to use it. The software I currently use doesn't offer either of these features.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You can already find pretty much anything you want. From my perspective you would need to either have something less expensive that what is already available or something that is easier to use. Some of the all encompassing programs are thought to be too involved for some to use them. One feature that would be nice for the carriers or small fleets is to be able to automatically have the capability to import fuel tax rates each quarter rather than having to manually put them in yourself. Another would be for you to be able to file your fuel taxes electronically. My state offers that themselves, but it works with Vista. Since I don't have Vista I have never been able to use it. The software I currently use doesn't offer either of these features.
What software do you use?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I use Truck n Pro and Easy Trucking. The Truck n Pro is easier to use, but doesn't have some of the features that I need for my business, such as fuel taxes, invoicing and payroll. They keep making improvements so they could have it at some point. I continue using it mainly to track my brokers and shippers. Easy Trucking will do fuel taxes, invoicing and about everything that you need up to 5 trucks. If you pay more money they will allow you to have more trucks on their software package. The big problem I had with Easy Trucking is getting in touch with someone. Another problem with Easy Trucking is that if you have more than 5 drivers during a year you cannot keep track of all of them. You can only have 5 with the smaller version. Customer support isn't very good. I believe you can have 100 or more trucks with the larger version. I think the only difference is in the number of trucks you can add. If you don't need the software to do your fuel taxes or payroll then Truck n Pro is a good choice. The guy who developed it was and still is a trucker. Another program that I have looked at is Truckers Helper. Some people think it is a little complex to use, but it will do everything you need when it comes to the trucking business. They have several versions available. One comes with payroll. The thing I like about the payroll with this software is that it will do your calculations based upon salary, hourly, mileage or percentage, if memory serves me correctly. I looked at it about a year or so ago, but never got to use it.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Board Icon

BTW, I know you mentioned something about a GPS function for DDL. Just so you know, DDL already has a GPS function.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It would be great to be able to file my fuel taxes electronically. I know there is a website that you can subscribe that will allow you to file electronically, or so they say, for a fee. I would like that capability in the software itself.

I also use a spreadsheet for some things. Some of the software that is currently available seems to be much more complicated than is necessary. People will not use software that is too complicated.