User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fuel cards

I'd like to get some feed back on fuel cards or even different ideas such as credit cards with cash back etc..... Let me know how you're fueling.

I signed up with fuel man on the advice of another driver, but was also looking at maybe Truckers Advantage Card. The reason for the truckers advantage card is that they have the promiles with what appears to be fuel solutions, something like merrick has with the site he found for rates that also gives fuel solutions, I don't know if this service is extra though with the TA Card. If anyone is familiar with Truckers Advantage Card please chime in.

There was a thread on this a while back but I couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have the Truckersadvantage and TCH fuel cards. The Truckersadvantage can be used at more places that I frequent. I believe the promiles is a service which costs extra. About the only place the Truckersadvantage card is not accepted is Flying J. There are also some discounts at some fuel stops. It is usually no more than about $0.02/gallon and normally at independents, although I believe that I have gotten some discounts at a few Pilots. The 5% discount offered by some credit cards can be good, but there are now some restrictions on how much of a discount you can get with some and not all of them offer a discount on diesel, as I recall. You need to read the fine print very carefully.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

I use T-Check but if it was just me I wouldn't. Amex Simple stopped with the 5% back for fuel. Amex Blue personal still does the 5%. Bank of America just came out with a cash rewards card and best of all it's a Mastercard so you can use it at the Flying J and supposedly it's 5% back with no limit.

I was going to give it to one of the drivers and I may but as it is now I can email one file once a week from T-Check to promiles and they input the fuel purchases into the IFTA program they use (with the GPS info from Peoplnet). So I would have to start manually doing that. I might do it anyway as this card is at 0% for a year I can float the payment for a while.

TCH has lower fees and if I got bigger I would get one of those too as we fuel mostly at the Flying J.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Never used a card except when we were with Waggoners- they provided a fuel card and took the money out of your settlement. We signed up with Check-Link (Natso) and Flying J for check writing.

You don't get any "bonus points" like with a credit card but you don't get in trouble, either. You've really got to stay on top of your credit cards to make sure you pay them off every month- or at least make your payment. You miss once and they've got you.