LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default National Speed Limit

I just heard this morning that there is now a push for a national speed limit. Of course, the ATA is all for it. There is no national fuel shortage. There is no need for a national speed limit. The number I heard was 60 mph. Last time we had a national speed limit it was 55 mph. :roll: If they are successful it will cost this country a fortune just to change all the road signs. We REALLY need to have that expense.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm not opposed to speed limits being right where they are, I think like you said they don't consider all the costs. There was an article in Landline where a guy claims lowering the speed limit would only cause other drivers to use more fuel to get aroung truck,...causing the same amount of fuel consumption as a whole.
To me 55 mph works, but thats just me. I don't like being told to wear a helmet (which I do) or a seat belt (which I do)
Old 07-12-2008, 04:47 PM

The last article I read on this was in the landline mag and they said they wanted 65 for all vehicles and governers on trucks at 68mph. The comparison was that a truck at 75mph burns 27% more fuel than at 65. Well I personally dont see they majority of trucks going 75 so the comparion is not to valid. They also said it would save 2.8 billion gals of diesal in a decade and 8.7 billion gals of gasoline. It would seem to me that they should go after 4 wheelers just as hard as they are on trucks being the biggest impact of fuel savings would be made by reducing car speed. Why dont they govern all new cars at 68 also if they want to for trucks? In my opinion the ATA does not represent the small comapnys and owner operators I would bet some big outfits are making nice contrbutions to them to try to get the rules they operate opposed on everyone else to make the playing field level.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Why not enforce the speed limits already in place?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Board Regular

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.a...63818&nav=8H3x

Been there done that, we don't need it again. this might cause a bigger shut down than the fuel prices. Just think about running west at 55, it ain't fun, ot think of the whole country being like Ohio.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Senior Board Member

I wouldn't mind 60. That's normally what I do. It's almost the slowest I can go in 10th but not lugging it.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Why not enforce the speed limits already in place?
Now THAT would fatten up the state money bin!

Where I live people take the posted limit as a suggestion, and ignore it. You will quite literally take an SUV in the rear end if you do the posted speed limit around here. The speed limits around here on I-26 are 60 then 65 for a while, on I-40 it's 60, then 65, then 50 for big trucks through the gorge into TN. The slowest car does about 74. Big trucks stick to the limit for the most part (except for this one jerk-off in a burgundy Pete 379 who tries to set land/speed records pulling his empty logging trailer, switching lanes, tailgating), but the point is these people around here nowadays have nowhere to be and they're late!

Enforcement around here is always lacking, the Highway Patrol is really only visible a couple days a year, with three troopers killed on the same 3 mile stretch of I-40 in the past three years (two run over, one shot) I think they're scared to pull people over right now...other places you never see them. Contrast that to the Piedmont where I saw 10 of them in a 5 mile stretch! Also, the little trick of sitting empty patrol cars in the median doesn't work anymore either.

If Slick Willy Clinton hadn't vetoed drilling in ANWR 13 years ago we would not be in this mess right now...had to protect the mosquito colonies, that's more important than driving our economy.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:37 AM
Board Regular

I dont think a change in speed limit will do something.A change in the attitude will probably do some difference!Too bad the government can't mess with that :shock:
Old 07-15-2008, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm with NotSteve on this one. I wouldn't mind everyone slowing down to 60 mph. I have already slowed to these speeds anyway.

Just some food for thought... The government is just like most people. They never do anything until it is too late or it is an emergency. Planning and proactive are not in their vocabulary. So if they are seriously talking about reducing the national speed limit then there is a lot more going on than we have been told by the talking heads on TV and radio. So maybe there really is a supply in-balance that is on the near horizon. It is reason for concern in my book.

Longsnowsm
Old 07-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty
http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=8663818&nav=8H3x

Been there done that, we don't need it again. this might cause a bigger shut down than the fuel prices. Just think about running west at 55, it ain't fun, ot think of the whole country being like Ohio.
In short, F$%^ THAT!

65 mph max for all vehicles and all speeding fines doubled for 4 wheelers. problem solved.