User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
Ya, that rooftop A/C unit is the way to go for sure. .
Can't the Rigmaster keep up?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Board Regular

Yessir, G-Man, those are the ones I'm looking at. I already have 20 of the flat hook type, but will order 15 or so of the ones with the chains Monday.

Folks sure are proud of them grade 70 3/8 chains and ratchet binders these days. Gee whiz. Every time I get a 'good deal'...
Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You might check with TruckPro if you have one in your area. I just bought some 4" straps for a good deal. I think that I paid less than $10/each for them. I doubt that you will need 15 of them. I think that I originally purchased 10 and have very rarely used all of them inside the kit. I probably use chains more with the kit than straps. It is quicker to use hand ratchets inside the kit than chains. I think some things are better suited for chains than straps, such as some types of steel.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Ya, that rooftop A/C unit is the way to go for sure. I wish my huge RV dealer at home stocked them but they order each one on demand. I'll find a place one of these days.

The best sleep I get is when I load up at some out of the way place like last night. I was parked in the middle of nowhere next to a cattle field. When I woke up, it was pitch black outside and not a sound other than the crickets.

That reminds me of a load I had in Jan. It delivered 30 miles down a dirt road to a place in Colorao where they are building a pipeline. After I was unloaded it was too late to go anywhere. I spent the night on the site and it was nothing but snow,stars,huge bunnies, and no humans for the entire night. My propane heater makes no noise at all, so it was sweeet.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
I have an 80" condo and nothing can keep up when the temp is 100 outside. Not even with the curtains closed and just cooling the sleeper area. I've been in 2 trucks already with a rooftop unit and it was below 70. Those roof top units are the cats meow.

I want something that will cool off the whole cab and not just the sleeping area and this is the only one I've seen that works.

The Rigmaster works great for sleeping at night with the cool air blowing right on you but 2 feet above your head and it's 80 degrees.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
I have an 80" condo and nothing can keep up when the temp is 100 outside. Not even with the curtains closed and just cooling the sleeper area. I've been in 2 trucks already with a rooftop unit and it was below 70. Those roof top units are the cats meow.

I want something that will cool off the whole cab and not just the sleeping area and this is the only one I've seen that works.

The Rigmaster works great for sleeping at night with the cool air blowing right on you but 2 feet above your head and it's 80 degrees.
Well that's good info right there.

IMO, the only reaon to buy one of those Rigmasters (or any of the other brands) is for the AC so if they can't do the job, it looks like a bunk heater + seperate AC unit + genset is the way to go.

How many BTU's of AC is your Rigmaster?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Senior Board Member

The Rigmaster is 20,000 BTU. I would still buy another one if it failed today. It's fully automatic and turns on and off as needed. When I put the Carrier unit on top it too will come on and turn off with the rest of the unit.

For the most part the A/C is perfect and so is the whole unit but when your in Texas or Arizona for the weekend in the wide open 20,000 just doesn't do it.

It monitors the batteries and comes on if they get low so you don't have to worry about running your truck. I have lots of stuff running off my trucks batteries and inverter so I don't worry about that either.

I've had the unit for almost a year now with 2,000 hours on the Rigmaster. At $4.50 per gallon that's $9,000 if I would have idled my truck. Keep in mind though, you will use an APU more then you normally would idle your truck just because it's cheap to run and I want to be comfortable.

And, the NUMBER 1 reason I love it.

IT DOESN'T START ON FIRE