User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cows driving trucks

Ok, this has nothing to do with cows driving trucks or owner operators but I found this very interesting.

I was waiting to get new steers (lol cows) on my truck and an alignment and there was a cow farmer or whatever you call them waiting for his trailer to get fixed.

I always wondered about cow farmers and how they are raised. I thought they were artificially inseminated.

He said that for every 40 female cows they put one bull out in the field. They stay out there for 70 days and pretty much have a party for 40 days. In the first few weeks the bulls fight very fierce with one another. After about 40 days the farmer starts to laugh and says that's about the time they all start hanging around with each other and have pretty much had it with all the females.

I told him he needed to start a new tradition and he thought it was pretty funny. I told him that right before sunset he needed to put a big bucket of water out and spike it with a gallon of tequila. Then when the sun starts to go down put on some Barry White!

Now, after all these cows have their babies and they reach 250 pounds from grazing in the open range they are sold to another cow place which you have probably seen from the highway were there are tons and tons of cows in very close quarters just hanging out and eating. This is the place where they don't get any exercise and put on all the weight and the fat which you want for flavor.

From there, it's off the the slaughter house and EVERY single part of the cow is used for something and nothing is wasted.

I also asked about chickens. Chickens lay eggs non stop without the need for a rooster. All the eggs they lay have no embryo in them to hatch a new baby chicken. That's where the rooster comes in.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Cows driving trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
Ok, this has nothing to do with cows driving trucks or owner operators but I found this very interesting.

I was waiting to get new steers (lol cows) on my truck and an alignment and there was a cow farmer or whatever you call them waiting for his trailer to get fixed.

I always wondered about cow farmers and how they are raised. I thought they were artificially inseminated.

He said that for every 40 female cows they put one bull out in the field. They stay out there for 70 days and pretty much have a party for 40 days. In the first few weeks the bulls fight very fierce with one another. After about 40 days the farmer starts to laugh and says that's about the time they all start hanging around with each other and have pretty much had it with all the females.

I told him he needed to start a new tradition and he thought it was pretty funny. I told him that right before sunset he needed to put a big bucket of water out and spike it with a gallon of tequila. Then when the sun starts to go down put on some Barry White!

Now, after all these cows have their babies and they reach 250 pounds from grazing in the open range they are sold to another cow place which you have probably seen from the highway were there are tons and tons of cows in very close quarters just hanging out and eating. This is the place where they don't get any exercise and put on all the weight and the fat which you want for flavor.

From there, it's off the the slaughter house and EVERY single part of the cow is used for something and nothing is wasted.

I also asked about chickens. Chickens lay eggs non stop without the need for a rooster. All the eggs they lay have no embryo in them to hatch a new baby chicken. That's where the rooster comes in.

That's amooooooosing
Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Ha ha ha ha ha
Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Board Regular

I guess you didn't grow up on a farm, city boy. We always had 2 bulls with 80+ milk cows, they worked all year round.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Now I'm a Hobby Trucker City Boy.

Some people grow up in these environments and sometimes I just find some of this information fascinating.

I had a woman from Reno come out to visit me in New Hampshire. We went for a drive in the country in my convertible and she got so scared we had to return home on the highway. She had never experienced so many trees in her life and we were basically driving in a constant tunnel of trees which totally freaked her out.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Maybe she was afraid of your wood,....Steve'O :wink:
Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Damn...So that's why we had so many bulls hanging out on the ranch...to please the cows.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course...when we made the young bulls into steers...that was a different story !! :shock:
Old 07-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Now who is going to explain a "Gomer Bull" to Steve?? LOL
Old 07-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Rookie

I've actually made a gomer bull. I've also pumped up some steers to work back when we could do that.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
We went for a drive in the country in my convertible and she got so scared we had to return home on the highway. She had never experienced so many trees in her life and we were basically driving in a constant tunnel of trees which totally freaked her out.

Are you sure it wasn't your driving? :P