User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Volvo engines in the 880 and I-Shift

Was browsing Truck Paper and the Volvo website yesterday and the more I look at the Volvo 880 the more I like 'em. I only saw a couple 880s with Cummins power and the rest were Volvo engines with some of them equipped with the I-shift automatic. Anybody have the skinny on the Volvo engines (how well do they hold up, how are they economy wise, power, etc) and has anyone driven one with the I-shift? 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm more inclined to go with the 780, but I do like what I've heard about the I-shift. Unfortunately, I've never run into anyone that's driven one (other than journalists), there just aren't many out there yet. Like most automated transmissions, dealers just don't order them for stock so it's nearly impossible to find one to test drive.

I've talked to a few people who have the big Volvo engine in trucks no more than a year old. For the most part they're happy. Some of them came from older Volvo engines which they were not happy with, but are convinced that most of the issues have been addressed. Most are getting mpg's in the low 6's with the 880.

I'm not sure I'd be more leery of the Volvo over the Cummins at this point. They've all had enough time to work the bugs out. For 2010, I'd probably favor the Volvo. Of course, if you want the I-shift you have to go with the Volvo anyway.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:14 AM
Rookie

I test drove one today and loved it ...it is way too smooth and a big leap from the freedomline (which i drove for about 250K miles with no issues), second thing i noticed with volvo engine was the lack of power at lower speed incomparison to ISX... other than that it seemed soother and quiter and had a tendency to run lower rpms i guess that is where they get higher mpg... over all impressed...thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Senior Board Member

The 880's are only available with the D16. No thanks. The price for the 880's is too high as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member