User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: What is your motivation for being an O/O?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2
Or, Wanting to become one?

There are a lot of misconceptions and illusions, regarding the freedom, independence and earning potential.

So, This is the question of the day...
A long time ago, I wanted to be one, so I became one, and then I decided that I liked to eat and pay my bills and have money left over, so I became a company driver.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is nothing cheap about working on a truck. Unless you can afford to make needed repairs you are out of business. Most people don't think about maintenance or having to make unexpected repairs when they buy a truck. There are times when you can spend more on repairs than you do on payments. Just because you buy a new truck doesn't necessarily mean that you won't have mechanical problems. There are those who have bought new trucks who seem to spend as much or more time in the shop than they do driving.

You do have a certain amount of freedom when you own the truck. You are also tied to the costs and payments whether the truck moves or not. If you buy more truck than you can comfortably afford then you may find yourself being a slave to the truck. You may be working harder for less money than if you worked as a company driver. Many people come into this business with unrealistic expectations. The same could be said about truck ownership. Remember, the truck isn't yours until you make the last payment. It belongs to the lender.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member

I bought a slightly used truck with 165k miles on the odometer, and still put in about 12 grand in it during the first year. Interest rates on used trucks are higher than on new ones but I'm paying only 1600 a month for mine, while a buddy at our firm is shelling out 2500/mo for a new Volvo. Of course he didn't have to spend 12 grand on repairs/updates but still I figure I'm making more money. I used to think a new truck is better, but lately have changed my mind - mainly because my truck runs great. I'm leased to a company and only own the truck ... pulling dry van trailers. Word of caution: you do 99% of driving on interstates and basically stare at gray concrete all day long. There is scenery of course but after a couple of years you stop noticing it. I've been getting by thanks to audiobooks and satellite radio (later canceled) but I'm finding the lack of human contact during driving to be the worst part about long-haul driving. If you like being by yourself 10 hours a day, then it's a great job - no one bothers you If you're a sociable type (like me), you'll find it pretty boring after a while. Personally, I"m thinking of getting into real estate and becoming a mortgage broker. That's just me ... Everyone is different. Oh - one more thing ... When I started driving I soon realized how sedentary the job is: I stop every couple of hours and still there's nothing I can do during the 2 hours I'm driving. I cannot just get up and stretch or go to a washroom or walk around the room (like you can do if you work in an office). BUT: despite all the drawbacks of the profession (including the lower life expectancy of long-haul truckers compared to the general population) I have never made so much money as an owner/operator - honest. I mean, 4 grand in 2 weeks is a pretty good paycheck. It doesn't happen each time, but still - if you do the miles, the money will find you. So, for now I keep on trucking because the mortgage broker course doesn't start until fall and because I have to renovate and furnish my new apartment

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 06-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member

I do it because I want to drive trucks, screw broads, and get money, just like Rev, Steve O, and Gman
Old 06-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
I do it because I want to drive trucks, screw broads, and get money, just like Rev, Steve O, and Gman
I changed my mind. I want to drive broads, screw money, and get trucks.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
I changed my mind. I want to drive broads, screw money, and get trucks.

Okay,.... I can alter my mission statement to stay compliant.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt

Truck ran great all the way home. I got to the last turn before I was home and the truck wouldn't downshift. Stopped at the stop sign and it went into neautral and wouldn't shift into gear. (Freedomline Auto) Towed it to the Peterbilt dealer this morning $400
If you had a manual trans, you'd be $400.00 richer right now. :lol:
Old 07-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Motivation? Everything else was too easy.