User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Research project

I am writing a book and need the trucker side of things

What do you wish brokers knew about trucking?
Do you feel brokers treat you with the respect you should get as a professional ?

How do you feel about brokers ?
What do you wish they knew about your job?

Do you think brokers have any idea what it is like to be a driver?

How do you feel about the fact that you have to take a test to drive but nothing is required to be a broker ?

I am writing a book information about brokers that you would like to share go ahead

contact me at [email protected]
Old 06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't think brokers really care what drivers think about them. This is a business. Some brokers are professional, others are not. The same thing can be stated about drivers. Some are professional, while others are not. I am finding more unprofessional drivers than unprofessional brokers. Brokers are basically salesmen. They buy freight to move at a certain price. They sell a driver or carrier on a price they can agree for them to haul their freight. Brokers primarily represent themselves. They should really change the name from brokers to something else. A broker usually represents someone. A freight broker should represent either the shipper or consignee. Instead, today's broker seems to primarily represent themselves.

Most brokers start out treating drivers with respect. The driver can change that with their attitude. We have too many nonprofessionals in this business on both sides.

I don't see the need for anyone to be required to have more government in their business. We have enough of that already. There are some who feel that it is much too easy to become a freight broker. The basics are really very simple. The main problem is their ability to sell. There are too many who want to make a killing on each load. There are brokers who are making in excess of 50% off of each load they sell. That is the fault of the driver or owner operator who accepts the load. It is dishonest of the broker to make that much profit on each load. There are some brokers who charge a flat percentage such as 10-20% off of each load. Those typically pay more to the truck. There are some brokers who are very short sighted when it comes to brokering freight. By taking too much of the rate they are insuring that they will eventually have a more limited pool of carriers to haul their loads. Some of the new brokers think the only way to move freight is to do so at the cheapest rate. Those brokers help to keep prices down and many will eventually go out of business due to not being able to find enough quality carriers to haul their loads. The driver is an employee of the carrier or owner operator who owns the equipment. It would be helpful if brokers had driven a truck before becoming a broker. Some of them make unrealistic promises to shippers or consignee's. They would be less likely to do so if they had driven a truck for a period of time.