User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default HOS & Sleep

Seems that somebody is FINALLY getting it that we don't all require the same amount of rest & that HOS CAN & is affected by it.

Check out this article & I say kudo's to Alberta Infrastructure on this one!

http://www.todaystrucking.com/news.c...TOKEN=82132362

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

These people could probably have saved millions of dollars by simply asking a few drivers about their sleep patterns. We would be much better off getting rid of the log books and allowing drivers to shut down when they are tired. As long as there are log books, there is potential for abuse from both drivers and the DOT. Many states use the log books and hos rules for fundraising purposes. At the very least drivers should be able to stop the clock so that they can get needed rest. With the current rules, that isn't the way it works. Drivers will push themselves because they cannot stop the clock. Perhaps one day some of these people who continue to change the rules with which we must live will actually decide to consult with those who must deal with their rules. Black boxes, log books or any other form of monitoring will never work until drivers are put at the forefront in deciding how they can best do their jobs and do so safely. I suppose this means that we are in for yet another hos change. :roll:
Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Oh I know Gman...but you KNOW how the gov't works....

There's absolutely NO WAY they are going to admit that they screwed up, nor will they admit that if they would have asked they could have gotten a way better HOS.

You know what they say...it takes the GO'VT to really screw something up!

That's why I could never understand liberals!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 05-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Someone posted on another forum which essentially stated that if something is not messed up, the government will fix it until it is.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

This is my opinion, I think the government wants the hos cause they think that truckers are not "responsible" enough to shut down and will run until they are dead tired and cause a safety hazard. If ya ask me, the hos and log books is the goverments excuse just to make money off of. They say the hos and log book are for safety reasons, safety my ass! :roll: I don't remember where I read this but this was like a year ago or whenever the last hos change took place but I read that before the hos there was more truck wrecks due to drivers falling asleep and I remember it also saying that heavy truck wrecks have declined in the past 20-30 years. :roll: Yeah right I don't believe that one bit. I believe drivers can make it without an hos cause they don't feel the pressure to run hard when rules are in place regulating how long they can drive and sleep for cause like that article said everyone's sleep pattern is DIFFERENT! Some people are night people and others are day, as me for me I'm both, cause I can take a nap during the day and stay up most of the night but then again I function MUCH better off 2-4 hour sleep than I do when I get 8-10. When I get 8-10 hours of sleep I feel drained and much much tired and it's hard for me to wake up and focus verus 2-4 hour power nap.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The government tends to respond to whomever makes the loudest noise or grease the most palms. The original concept of hos sounded like a noble idea. We need to protect drivers from their employers who will push them to run beyond what they can safely do. Of course, it hasn't worked. It never will. Some people will speed no matter what the posted speed. Others will drive within the posted speed limit. It is human nature. I believe we would be much better off without the hos.

Statistics can be manipulated to state pretty much anything you want. It depends on how you ask the questions and how they are interpreted. When I first started driving there were usually wrecks when the weather was bad. Most of the major roads were not interstates. The first time I drove to California most of my trip was on old Route 66. Most of that route is now called I-40. Many of the major roads were 2 lane and curvy. It is only natural that there would be wrecks. If you take the same drivers and put them on today's roads, I doubt that you would find more accidents. It seems that most wrecks that I remember involving big trucks were those going off a curve or mountain in bad weather. Some were tankers or reefers with swinging beef. I think there is a difference in the quality of drivers from then and now. We were more independent in our thinking with a can do attitude. That is no longer the case. Equipment is better today than back then. Trucks ride better and are safer in some ways. I don't know that there are fewer or more wrecks today or then due to the hos rules at the time. Our hos rules were the same ever since I can recall until a few years ago. We didn't necessarily like them, but we got used to them. Now we seem to have a new set of hos rules every year or two. If there is a difference in the number and severity of wrecks I would like to see the actual numbers. If I remember correctly, when they put the statistics together for the number of trucks they also include pickups and other vehicles classified as trucks. They only have a very broad classification for trucks when it comes time to state their case.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

I can understand them adding pick ups since the heavier ones are a "commerical" vehicle. Any vehicle that has an advertising service like a company is considered a "commercial" vehicle. That is the way I understand it anyway. Which brings me to another point, I hear truckers complain they can't park their trucks in their driveway but a plumber can his vehicle in his driveway. Technically the plumber's vehicle is a "commercial" vehicle since he uses it to provide a service. Back on the topic of HOS and sleep. Sorry for hijacking the threat WildKat.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Not a prob Double L...that's the purpose of these forums isn't it? Follow the train of thought... :lol: :lol:

Anyway...

GMAN, here in Alberta we didn't have any set HOS until 1989 I think... I remember going, & going & going... BUT the companies we worked for also understood that when we got tired we STOPPED!

As it is right now we have more EXCEPTIONS to the HOS than rules, alot to do with the "patch". Our staunchly conservative provincial gov't firmly believes we should be responsible for ourselves!

Up here there have been more accidents due to driver fatigue since we got our new HOS (more like yours, we have a 16 hour rule instead of 14, but basically same idea) than I have ever seen in my 30 years as a professional driver.

I have heard that there is a class action lawsuit going on somewhere up just for that reason. Personally the only thing I LIKE about the new HOS is the 36 hour reset (34 for you guys). The rest of it makes my life miserable. As a linehaul driver it just doesn't work, cause one day I might have a 600 mile trip & the next a 2500 mile trip...go figure eh?

Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes ma'am it is! I hate to keep bashing the government but I notice the government wants to always hold our hand and make it seem like we can't decisions for ourself such as HOS. If some drivers are irresponsible enough to drive until the point that they fall asleep at the wheel then they shouldn't be on the road period. Trip planning is key and important in my opinion to having a "consistant" schedule and making appointments on time.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
Yes ma'am it is! I hate to keep bashing the government but I notice the government wants to always hold our hand and make it seem like we can't decisions for ourself such as HOS. If some drivers are irresponsible enough to drive until the point that they fall asleep at the wheel then they shouldn't be on the road period. Trip planning is key and important in my opinion to having a "consistant" schedule and making appointments on time.
My thoughts EXACTLY!!!