User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You may want to check with Nick. He is usually good about getting back with you on this type of thing. The step deck you mentioned may be on their website.
I went ahead and emailed Nick about the $6500 SD.My best bet is the auctions.I also signed up with Ritchie Brothers including their online bidding.
I have a mobile mechanic friend that charges me 30-40/hr on labor and he also works on trailers.I am staying away form the X and cross member rust or replacements.A trailer that needs floor board is fine.
I have never had payments on a vehicle/equipment and I will like to keep it that way.

Thank you guys!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I have to say that trailers are about the best investment there is in this business. They go forever. We have a '95 Reitnouer combo step with a cracked main beam. So after talking to the factory they recommended only two shops for the repair so we drop $1,200 at on of the recommended trailer repair shop in Misssisauga, ON and the the welds cracked after 1 week. I thought it was a goner but we hired a local welded to give it one more shot. That was 8 months ago and $800 it's still going strong.

The moral of the story is
1) don't be afraid to buy a banged up one if you can get a deal.
2) if you an afford it, even spending $40,000 on a new one will likely look like a good investment in a few years because they hold their value.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Board Regular
Default THE WORD "PATIENCE" WILL ALWAYS PAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It is going to be difficult to find a decent step deck under $10,000. It is hard to find a good flat for that price. I would think that prices should be dropping with the slowdown in the economy. I would check some of the trucking forums, such as this one, who have classified sections. I would also check with dealers. Some are really hurting to move inventory. I got a good deal at K & L Truck and Trailer in Knoxville, TN. I bought new, but they usually have a good inventory of used trailers. You may also want to check with other dealers. Some trucking companies turn their equipment on a regular basis. Again, I would check around. You also might want to run your own classified ad under "Equipment Wanted." You should be able to find a good step deck for around $15-18,000. If you paid $10,000 down, your payments would be small. You could pay what you are currently paying on the payments and pay it off early. One other place I would suggest is check equipment auctions. I know of some people who have gotten very good deals by attending auctions. Taylor & Martin and Ritchie Brothers are two of the larger equipment auctions. You can find their web address on the Internet.

I am free from the rental fee of $170X32weeks(8 months)=$5440 money that I paid to LS for a step with no toolbox,all rubrails were dented in(running straps illegally on the outside),no spare tire cage and a trailer that weighed $15,500ibs.

I bought a step from a BCO from LCAPP.The guy called me after seeing my ad which I had posted in march.He had just seen a 2005 Transcaraft that he wanted to purchase in GA and so the transition was perfect.He dropped his off at the agents yard were I park and I followed him to pick up his 2005 trancraft from the seller.
I have a 99 TRANSCRAFT and the only thing I didn't like is that it had no TOOLBOX, but that is quite minor for a trailer that I paid $7000 for.

Now I am not going through LS to have them put their POS "Illinois" plate on my trailer.I called IL and they want me to fill out a 2 page form and since it is a used equipment I need to have the seller notorize the BILL Of Sale.They also said I need a LS 120 day inspection.This makes no sense although it is already in the Landstar system and the last inspection was in March 08, and also a copy of the title.
I think I can deal with LS' requirements but my main concern is Georgia IRP.Getting my GEORGIA BASEPLATES on my truck was pretty much tough besides the $1400/yr I had to pay and I am hoping registering a trailer is not like a truck.Someone said I may be able to get "permanent" plates which do not cost much per year.
.I guess most people go through LS because of sale tax purposes but tell that to the seller who made out 2 BILL of sale, one for IRP and one for LS.Could someone please enlighten me on Ga IRp when registering a trailer?I am curious to know before I go down there on Tuesday.

This trailer should pay for itself in exactly 6 months at 200-300 more on my gross per settlement.
Thanks to my patience and LCAPP.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Board Member

One mistake people make sometimes is registering the trailer for 80,000lbs. Register it for what it weighs. It's a lot cheaper that way.
Nice going on the trailer. Good luck. :P