User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yeah, as Gman said, I bought my truck through Selectrucks in Kansas City. If you search Selectrucks on this website you'll probably come up with the saga.

I didn't pay their asking price, I was able to get it for a few thousand cheaper taking it 'as is'. It turned out to be a really good truck.

The issue I had with them is they got me into a 'rules of 78' contract which simple interest rate came out to 25%! At the time, I had no idea what rules of 78 is- basically, it means if you pay it off early you pay a big penalty. All the guys at Selectrucks knew I was trying to get the money off a credit card (20k limit, 10% interest at that time) and that I was only signing their contract until I could get to the bank or get a credit card check cashed. They deliberately didn't tell me about the penalty and even when I signed the contract, they didn't provide me with a copy (it's been said, I know, I know, I should have demanded one).

Point being, I got a really good truck from them even if they didn't so much as change the oil in it and the recaps had to be replaced because of the sidewalls long before the tread wore out. Brand new steers wore out after 32k miles because the alignment was so bad. The truck is still quite good but they weren't honest. So, whatcha going to do... :lol:
Old 04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you have made up your mind about buying a truck right now, then I suggest you find something that gets decent fuel mileage. You can get more truck for the money with either a Freightliner or International. I prefer an International. You may also get a decent deal on a Volvo. A T600, T2000 Kenworth would get fairly decent fuel mileage as would a 387 Peterbilt. I would stay away from the hoods because of the lower fuel mileage and higher cost to purchase.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McGraw
If the local company offering runs at 90% of $2.30 you mentioned is for real, and not lieing to you, that option might be a better way to go at first, depending on how much you get on the loads coming back home. If they are for real, they should be willing to give you copies of some current statements from existing owner/operators with the names and identifying details blacked out.
I did leave out a small detail. My best friend has been leased on with this company for 2 years. The owner is in his 70's and is going to retire and my friend is in the process of buying the company. I did see the 1099's for the year.

I am in Southern Iowa

Gman the only trucks I have been looking at are the 387's with a Cummins and Columbia's with a Detroit
Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should get fairly decent fuel mileage with either of those trucks. I had an opportunity to drive a 387 for about a week while my truck was in the shop. It had a CAT and got around 7.2 mpg. It blew my mind with that much difference in fuel economy. I think that I was most surprised by that a CAT could get that type of fuel mileage.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Gman, how was the ride/handling of the 387 compared to the Int'l that you normally drive?
Old 04-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It was several years ago, geomon. At the time I was driving a Peterbilt. It was a bit awkward after being used to having a hood in front of me. It has been several years ago, but as I recall it had a lot of room. The ride was very good. It was a bit awkward getting used to the additional room and lack of a hood. It was almost like driving a cabover after being used to a long hood. I only drove it for a week, but would consider buying one if I could continuously get over 7 mpg with it. I think my International has a firmer ride than the 387. I also believe that the 387 had more leg room and had more space between the seats. I may talk myself into looking at 387's. :lol: I have a large steering wheel in my International. The 387 has a smaller one, as I recall. It has a much different feel.