User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Select Trucks

Anybody ever bought a truck from Select trucks? I have looked at 100's of trucks and have heard every sales pitch I think there is.

I have found 5 trucks at Select Trucks in Kansas City that seem to be far better deals that anything I have looked at so far.

Anybody ever financed through Select Trucks? My local bank will finance me with a hefty down payment. I would rather keep my cash in the bank for any unforeseen expense down the road.

Opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Have you look at www.arrowtrucksales.com
Old 04-27-2008, 03:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Both the Truck and Trailer are going for $28,000. Complete package ready to work for you. All you need is your logbook and some clothes.
This 2000 Pete 387 is a very comfortable, very roomy, very reliable, workhorse.
Cummins 425hp, Super 10 tranny, 390 rears, 744.000 miles, Low Air Leaf Suspension,
CB, Sirius Radio, Inverter, Portapotty, New tires all around in December 07, Television, more....
The Trailer is a 1996 Wabash, double row of E-track front to back, tires and brakes at 65/70%.
My mother has become bed ridden form strokes forcing me to come off the road.
Call Bob @ 6063448303 for further details. found this on ooida classifieds
Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Scott, you are usually better off having your own financing when it comes to buying a truck. Unless things have changed, you will pay more with Select than you can find elsewhere, at least if you go through their first time buyers program. Interest rates also tend to be higher than you may find from your own sources. I would not get into a big hurry to buy a truck. When you take your time you can often find a better buy. There are a lot of owner operators who are currently losing their trucks. If you have the cash or your own financing you may find a good buy away from some of the dealers. I believe CAM bought a truck from Select. You may send him a pm. I am curious as to why you want to buy a truck with the economy in it's current state? How long have you been driving?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Scott, you are usually better off having your own financing when it comes to buying a truck. Unless things have changed, you will pay more with Select than you can find elsewhere, at least if you go through their first time buyers program. Interest rates also tend to be higher than you may find from your own sources. I would not get into a big hurry to buy a truck. When you take your time you can often find a better buy. There are a lot of owner operators who are currently losing their trucks. If you have the cash or your own financing you may find a good buy away from some of the dealers. I believe CAM bought a truck from Select. You may send him a pm. I am curious as to why you want to buy a truck with the economy in it's current state? How long have you been driving?

I have a friend who bought one through them, it was overpriced but a good truck, at the time you had to buy a freightliner, most are trade ins from mega carriers like crete and us express . in 2000 he paid 45,00 for a 95 fld. he put a grand down. on the plus side, they put on new tires, new batteries, new starter and new alternator and give you a year warranty on the drive train, so at least you dont have those worries for a while. last I heard, he is still doing well at overnight express
Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
BANNED

As long as you have an inspection, dyno, blow by report, ecm report and the truck passes those to your satisfaction, there should not be a problem with Select Trucks.

I completely disagree with GMan on waiting to buy. If you have all of your ducks in a row, now is a great time to jump in.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I am curious as to why you want to buy a truck with the economy in it's current state? How long have you been driving?
Gman we pm'd back in Nov about what I was looking at doing.

I have 2 options I am contemplating

Option 1:
Lease on with a small local company that has been in business for 25 years. They have dedicated runs to Southern California and back that pay around $2.30 a mile less 10% to the company. I can use their authority and get insurance through them for $100 a week.

Option 2:
Get my own authority and insurance and do short runs. There is a steel plant here in town that has 30-40 loads a day for both van and flatbed. The loads pay between $2.00 to 2.60 a mile for around 300 miles. There are back hauls for $1.75- 2.00 that would bring me back within 60 miles of home.

I have been watching the load boards and calling brokers since last November and putting together business models. I plan on buying a van and a flatbed to give me more options everyweek. The flatbed loads from here only require 12 straps and no tarp so the expense won't be that bad to have a flatbed too.

My wife and me have been putting the models together. She would be at home watching the boards and talking to brokers.

No I don't have much driving experience but have 20 years of business experience. My wife and I have business degrees.

I having been driving the past 6 months with a new O/O that has showed me how NOT to run a business. He is broke and not smart enough to realize it. He thinks if he makes his truck payment, insurance payment, minimum credit card payment, pays me a little he is making money. Truth is he has $30,000 on credit cards (fuel, breakdowns) He owes $35,000 on a Volvo with 900,000 miles. He is 1 breakdown from being stranded on the road because all his credit cards are maxed out.

Ok I am done.......Tell me I am crazy for wanting to do this. I see it as the perfect time to get in because the weak are getting out.

I have no desire to be a company driver for a mega carrier. I have always did things my way and made my own money.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unfortunately, there are a lot of owner operators who are in the same position as this guy for whom you have been working. It sounds as though you have a couple of good options. All you need is a truck and trailer. I am not sure that I would start out with two trailers. If it were me I would start with one trailer and see if there was a need for a different type once I started hauling freight. The first thing you need is a tractor. You may find an individual who has a truck and trailer and just wants to get out of the business. The down side to the Select trucks is that you will usually pay more for the truck. In a few more months you should be able to get a better price on equipment. Owner operators are losing their trucks at a record rate. Prices should be lower than they are currently. When people get into difficult cash flow situations they are usually willing to deal. It would be good if your wife could search for loads while you drive. It works for a lot of owner operators.

I don't think that you are crazy for wanting to do this. You need to be prepared for some difficult times for at least the next year or so. As long as you go into this with your eyes open then it may work for you. I am glad to see that you have been doing a lot of planning. As long as you keep your expenses down and revenue up, then you should do all right. There are a lot of people getting out of the business. Many more will be forced out. If you have a good reserve fund and keep your nose to the grindstone with good rates, you should do fine. Have you decided on a time table?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:49 AM

Scottt,

I have had my own authority and I have been a leased O/O. Since you have a business background you will know what I mean when I tell you that there are significant hidden costs associated with having your own authority, and I have actually made more net profit being a leased O/O.

If the local company offering runs at 90% of $2.30 you mentioned is for real, and not lieing to you, that option might be a better way to go at first, depending on how much you get on the loads coming back home. If they are for real, they should be willing to give you copies of some current statements from existing owner/operators with the names and identifying details blacked out.

What part of the country are you in? Some areas are still good, like around Chicago, even though freight in much of the country is slow.

Please be very, very careful in buying your first truck. I was not careful and paid a very hefty price for not checking everything out. My first truck, and my second, cost me a bundle in repairs. Select Trucks is pricey, but I have heard that they really do fix up the trucks before they sell them and stand behind their warranty.

The best deals can usually be found by buying direct from a fleet or from an individual, although there are exceptions and with less than a year of driving experience you may have trouble getting financed without help from a dealer. I found my current truck on Truck Paper Online. It was a brand new truck that had sat on a small dealers lot for over a year, and the dealer was desperate to unload it, so I got a great price. I put 25% down and was able to get a 5 year loan at 7.5% on the balance, after spending a lot of time shopping for the financing.

Good luck to you, and I hope you make it.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

For Sale 2005 KW W900L, 285 '' wheel base, 625 cat, 18 speed, 336 rears, 86 '' studio sleeper w/ double bunk, rigmaster with only 2700 hr, 14.600 lb front axel, 46.000 lb rear axel, Getting new truck with ict sleerper good truck 425000 mi. on truck, all lights are LED lights, good rubber,fenders on rear axel, CAT ID computer, truck has warranty on cat engine and trans and rears. Also you will need to have your own financing. ASKING $ 75,000.00 417-861-0884