User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any Hot Shot Drivers ?

Any hot shot drivers here ? Just wondering if that might be the way to go now. I've herd some good and bad. Thanks for any info.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Rookie

I run hot shots once every two weeks .Hot shots can pay good if you negotiate with company.Usually hot shots that I run pay between 2.15 to 3.00 $ per mile .Bad thing is the area you go to . For example if I take hot shot to Miami ,Fl it pays well but then you might end up having a lot of empty miles .In that case I talk to dispatch to see where should I move after i unload ,if I have to deadhead for 200 or 300 miles i ask them to pay me some extra for empty miles.
Thing with hot shots you have to negotiate...
Old 04-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Board Member

I had a "Hotshot" leased into Ace Transportation for 2 years. Over all...I broke even.
I see you are in Sacramento. If you were down closer to Bakersfield, I would think you would stand a decent chance of making money, if you had a single screw tractor...such as an fld112 or a Volvo like FedEx National is running, and pulled a 45 foot goosekneck with 10k axles. Anything smaller than that...your replacement & repair costs out weigh what you stand to make.Using a tractor like I describe gives you several advantages. You will be able to handle blow out preventers and the like without difficulty, will have the sleeper so easier to be "DOT Compliant", and if the tractor you purchase is in half decent shape, you will have low repair cost's. The unit will last long enough, to produce more income than repair and replacement costs.

The biggest thing would be....having the bank roll to start your own service (equipment, dot numbers, insurances, plates & permits, etc)...or find a hotshot service already operating in California to lease into, that will treat you fairly and honestly.

Right now...Ace, Dynasty and Venture (3 of the biggest hotshot services) are in turmoil over being bought out by a private investment firm. ACME the other big "HS" service is being courted by the same investment firm. While oil is at all time highs, the drilling market in the lower 48 is not so great. Yes there are rigs working...but not in the numbers like they were in the 70's & early 80's.

That is the oilfield side of "hotshoting", which is generally the most lucreative money making service. On the general freight side...I have less experience...but know that the economy is in sorry enough shape, to understand that "Expedited" services are hurting, just like all the rest of general freight. There is still money to be made there...with the right piece of equipment, and a good company to lease in to.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:00 PM

Nexus

Are you leased on with a Company ? Was told a 3500 Dodge and a 40'
goose neck was the way to go. I see alot of them out there and lots of small (3) car haulers also.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Nexus

goose neck was the way to go. I see alot of them out there and lots of small (3) car haulers also.
Sal..you will see in my first reply, that I reccomended a single screw tractor & 45 foot trailer.
My reasons for that suggestion, first...you can pick up a decent used single screw tractor from FedEx National, or a dealer, for less than the cost of a Dodge 3500, or a Chevy or Ford of the same size, Chevy has a truck that is slightly larger in size than the pickups, but runs the same drive trains as the pickups. While the pickups or the chevy 6500 series may look more economical to operate, they are not. A single screw tractor like I suggest, will pull more weight reliably, will have lower maintaence costs, and will hold up better than the pick ups. CA CHP has a nasty little habit of writing tickets to the guy's running around California in pickup's pulling trailers, whom are sleeping in the pickups. I know that because of family experience. My brother-in-law got one such ticket, in 2002. CHP is pretty tough on those type outfits.

The 45 foot trailer gives you the ability to haul longer loads. In the oilfield side of hotshotting, they are not loading trailers that allow pipe and baskets to hang over the back of the trailer. When business on the oilfield side is slow, the 45 footer gives you the opportunity to haul general freight, like steel buildings, wall panels, and roofing insulation panels, which are all available within your immediate area.

You will also find, after a little investigation, that you are required to have the same cdl license as the rest of us...anything over 53 feet in total length requires a "cdl a" license. Using the equipment I suggest increases your load capabilities...while reducing your over all operational cost.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:25 PM

Stan ...Thanks for all that Info. I do have a CDL , and am driving for a company . I'm just thinking that maybe this Hot Shot driving might be the way to go.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Sal...something like this ( http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...258A21B881CE51 ) is what I mean. It is functional for your purposes. A 45 foot gooseneck will run you in the $14,500 range for a new one. I wouldn't suggest buying a used goosneck trailer. If you wanted, after a year or so, you could buy a car hauler to pull as well...give yourself some agility.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Nexus

Yup I am leased to Ceva logistic ( recently purchased EGL) I drove for O/O who was leased to them .I drove semi but when guy who I worked for and me split up i went and got straight truck and singed up as independent.
They got some got hot shot ,a lot of medical equipment ( expensive :shock: ) delivered to hospitals.