User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My week long experiment results

This has been discussed many times in this forum and everytime it shows the same results,these are mine.

I fueled up in Indianapolis,IN last thursday night and delivered around Cincinatti,Oh on friday then back to Chicago to pick up a load for Brownsville,TX which I delivered on Monday,then up to Houston to pick up a load going to Chicago.

I never set the cruise for over 62mph and ran under 60 when in IL.

Total miles for this was 3,737,total gallons used 582.260 at a cost of $2,226.79 for an average of $3.824 a gallon.My mpg came out to 6.42,which is almost 7 tenths better than I usually average.

In real world numbers I saved 67.653 gals of fuel based on the same avg cost per gallon I saved $258.70 over 7 days.

It wasn't easy running 61-62mph in those 70mph states I will confess,but once you get into a groove and just ride it wasn't that bad and if I can put 258 bucks in my pocket at the end of the week I think I can handle it.

I would like to make a couple of observations about driving at this speed,I got really frustrated at other drivers and the way they pass slower trucks.I was pulling a flammable load and that made no difference to other drivers,they would tailgate within feet and what was really hard to take was how close they would pull back in front of you especially if it took them a little longer to get pass,you can guess the kinda carriers that it would take a little longer to pass someone going 62mph.

I would constantly have to kick off the cruise to back off and leave a little room between the truck that just pulled in front and myself.In my opinion they are putting me at danger by their actions,not to mention if a officer just happens to come around without seeing his actions I am in position to get a following too closely ticket which is grounds for immediate
termination from my job.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: My week long experiment results

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
It wasn't easy running 61-62mph in those 70mph states I will confess,but once you get into a groove and just ride it wasn't that bad and if I can put 258 bucks in my pocket at the end of the week I think I can handle it.
That definitely sounds worth it to slow down a bit. An extra $1,000 in your pocket a month or even $750 if you take a week off each month is well worth it. You could go buy a new pick up truck with that saved money and still have a few bucks left over or invest it all back into your business. 8) 8)
Old 04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I try and run the slow lane when possible. You will find out it is more relaxing and less stressfull to just chill out in the slow lane and cruise along at about 55 to 60 mph. Listen to the satilite radio and watch all the boneheads travel at light speed past you and see all the crazy $hit they do. You do meet up with some idiots sometimes at that speed. Sometimes you will go to get around someone who was doing 45 mph and they will then do 65 mph when you procede to pass and then you must do 70 to get around them. :x I will admit it is hard. But, I am finding it more relaxing then not, even with the few boneheads you will encounter. Good luck. :P
Old 04-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Yup I've been doing 58-60 for about 4 years now. I absolutely love it.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
I try and run the slow lane when possible. You will find out it is more relaxing and less stressfull to just chill out in the slow lane and cruise along at about 55 to 60 mph. Listen to the satilite radio and watch all the boneheads travel at light speed past you and see all the crazy $hit they do. You do meet up with some idiots sometimes at that speed. Sometimes you will go to get around someone who was doing 45 mph and they will then do 65 mph when you procede to pass and then you must do 70 to get around them. :x I will admit it is hard. But, I am finding it more relaxing then not, even with the few boneheads you will encounter. Good luck. :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: Not laughing at you there Sid....but...when Mike was driving 60 on his drop...(assuming he entered TX on I-30, and used the US59-US77 route to Browntown) through Texas...he was doing a good 20 mph than the majority of the traffic...especially the 4-wheeler traffic. :wink:
Old 04-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
This has been discussed many times in this forum and everytime it shows the same results,these are mine.

I fueled up in Indianapolis,IN last thursday night and delivered around Cincinatti,Oh on friday then back to Chicago to pick up a load for Brownsville,TX which I delivered on Monday,then up to Houston to pick up a load going to Chicago.

I never set the cruise for over 62mph and ran under 60 when in IL.

Total miles for this was 3,737,total gallons used 582.260 at a cost of $2,226.79 for an average of $3.824 a gallon.My mpg came out to 6.42,which is almost 7 tenths better than I usually average.

In real world numbers I saved 67.653 gals of fuel based on the same avg cost per gallon I saved $258.70 over 7 days.

I would like to make a couple of observations about driving at this speed,I got really frustrated at other drivers and the way they pass slower trucks.I was pulling a flammable load and that made no difference to other drivers,they would tailgate within feet and what was really hard to take was how close they would pull back in front of you especially if it took them a little longer to get pass,you can guess the kinda carriers that it would take a little longer to pass someone going 62mph.

I would constantly have to kick off the cruise to back off and leave a little room between the truck that just pulled in front and myself.In my opinion they are putting me at danger by their actions,not to mention if a officer just happens to come around without seeing his actions I am in position to get a following too closely ticket which is grounds for immediate
termination from my job.
Are you going to try another experiment...say spend a week running at 64-66 moh..and see what that does?

Just wondering is all...I have a C-15 with 3.55 rears and 13 speed Fuller. I have found that I am getting my best fuel mileage at 1450 to 16 rpm..which puts me in the 64-66 mph range, depending on the terrain. The warmer it is the better my mileage too.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I never set the cruise for over 62mph
I have no scientific results to verify it but I find if I run the cruise alot my mileage is significantly better.

This past week I ran no faster than 55mph anywhere, and while hard to adjust I sure did enjoy better than 7.5 mpg in a W9.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
I have found that I am getting my best fuel mileage at 1450 to 16 rpm..which puts me in the 64-66 mph range, depending on the terrain.
What year is your C-15? Mine is a 06' turned up too 550 and I found my best mileage at 1250-1450 tops. At 1500 I can almost see the needle drop.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Board Member

FYI, mine is a C-15 500hp with 3.73's with 13 speed. I do try and keep it at or under 1500 rpm's. Which is around 65 mph. I do go over that now and then, but try not to. Lately I've been going a little slower as I stated. It is a little easier for me as I stay local. If I was running the road I would probably keep it at 1450 rpm's @ about 64. I get 7 mpg.
I just did my IFTA and over the 1st Quarter I show 7.06 mpg.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I have the C15 550 with 3.36 rears,I think I was running around 1200-1250rpm,if I run the 1350 that some say gives best fuel milage I am doing 67,this doesn't seem to be better than what I did this week.