User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I kind of figured this would be the response I would get, that is what is wrong with this country now, it is all the I,I's and ME, ME's. This is not about me or you it is about our industry as a whole. I see this has fallen on deaf ears as I thought it would. :roll:
Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter823
I see this has fallen on deaf ears as I thought it would. :roll:
MY DEAF EARS?

Why not ask the same thing of the other BBR's.you know the ones running down the road 70-75mph,running trucks all night as they sleep,running for rates that are not enough to cover their expenses?

Where is your outrage at them?

Yes it is about me,because in the end I am the one that has to support my family and my business,as soon as you get something (which you won't) about fuel prices what will happen,they will go right back to hauling for cheap,because they know no different.

And that is not my problem,so go on shutdown and have fun,and accomplish very little,except watch alot of O/O's lose their trucks.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 PM

If a o/o can't afford to shut down then.........nevermind, no need in wasting anymore of my time
Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
That is what is wrong with this country now, it is all the I,I's and ME, ME's.
Actually, it's all about poor decisions being made day in and day out by thousands and thousands of owner operators.

I will side with Mike on this one. Why should he be asked to sacrifice his good business for the sake of others than did not have the foresight to run their own business correctly. Sure, fuel is high...so his 4-wheeler juice. But for every person/driver complaining about not making it, there are a hundred others that are doing just fine.

There won't be a strike...just more of the same pointless yammering and nothing will ever be done. You want to make a difference? Run compliant. Run the speed limit. Don't haul cheap freight. That's the key right there, but most of the owner operators out there won't allow themselves to see it. They'll blow down the road doing 80 from truck stop to truck stop and whine about fuel in between cherry machine pulls. Then they'll spend 10 hours in their truck in the parking lot in 70 degree whether, idling the entire time. That's where the problem is. Unfortunately, it's not a fixable problem.

So as Fozzy says...same poop, different day.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:
That is what is wrong with this country now, it is all the I,I's and ME, ME's.
Actually, it's all about poor decisions being made day in and day out by thousands and thousands of owner operators.

I will side with Mike on this one. Why should he be asked to sacrifice his good business for the sake of others than did not have the foresight to run their own business correctly. Sure, fuel is high...so his 4-wheeler juice. But for every person/driver complaining about not making it, there are a hundred others that are doing just fine.

There won't be a strike...just more of the same pointless yammering and nothing will ever be done. You want to make a difference? Run compliant. Run the speed limit. Don't haul cheap freight. That's the key right there, but most of the owner operators out there won't allow themselves to see it. They'll blow down the road doing 80 from truck stop to truck stop and whine about fuel in between cherry machine pulls. Then they'll spend 10 hours in their truck in the parking lot in 70 degree whether, idling the entire time. That's where the problem is. Unfortunately, it's not a fixable problem.

So as Fozzy says...same poop, different day.

Two thumbs up on that post....

Twilight Flyer is correct.... most do not have a clue.....
Old 03-28-2008, 10:02 PM

Maybe I am wording this wrong, this is not about if your making it or not. I run compliant, I run under the speed limit, and I don't haul cheap freight. I am making it. This is neither here nor there. Yes, those that are flying up and down the highways and leaving their trucks running all night, they are a problem, but they won't be around much longer anyway (I hope). What angers me is that we, that is you and me, are paying around $4.00/gal. for fuel, $3.27 give or take for regular unleaded. Something has to be done to stop this :twisted:
Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
What angers me is that we, that is you and me, are paying around $4.00/gal. for fuel, $3.27 give or take for regular unleaded. Something has to be done to stop this
I don't disagree with that statement...I disagree with all the crying being done for no reason. I work in the office and pay the $3.30 per gallon to fill my car. But I'm not going to stop coming to work because of gas prices, which is in essence what drivers are being asked to do. I'll simply adjust my usage in other ways: ie. run the speed limit, limit my driving, etc.. It's the same with running a business as an O/O.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 PM

Crying? I don't see any crying going on. Just think if you were to walk to work for a few days you would not be buying that high priced fuel. That is what I am getting at, shut down and you won't be buying into the big rip off
at the pumps. If you hit them where it hurts, it will get their attention.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Rookie

Im about as rookie as they get. You folks posting here have been trucking for years and know alot more about the industry than I do.

Not taking sides, just speaking from a business point of view, I don't see how a strike or shutdown could have a long term positive affect on fuel prices. The reality is, as a petroleum dependant country we have no other option. Okay , lets say we all stop using fuel for a few days, those same loads we missed will be waiting. Someone is going to have to carry the loads. The oil companies got us by the balls and they know it. Those big oil tycoons will laugh at our feebile efforts to stop their profits.

Im not claiming to have an answer to this dilemna, but I think we need something MUCH bigger than a strike....maybe nuclear powered trucks :lol:
Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Speculation has driven some of the price increases this time around but,demand is what usually drives prices up by reducing speeds and idle time you could do more than a partial shutdown of a few anger displaced truck drivers.

Who exactly are you trying to get the attention of anyway?The government?The oil companies?Joe average?

It has been suggested and I sorta agree,if you had a rolling show of support(thousands of trucks) around the Washington D.C beltway you would have a much better chance of getting attention.