User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 06:50 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Riddle me this...

What would possess a person to actually buy a truck today and hit the O/O side of the business. I'm not talking about guys already in it...I want to know why I field so many phone call from drivers looking to buy a truck and be an O/O.

I gotta ask and I'll do it here for the benefit of all these guys that have been calling me.

"Are you bloody nuts?!?!?" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 PM
BANNED

Here is an answer for you... If you have good credit, a spotless MVR, reserve capital, good business plan, have a clue in how to run a business, have a customer base to start with, you should have no qualms about jumping in.

But..... Most do not have any of the above.... They jump into fleece purchase programs with no idea in how to run a biz. With the downturn happening, the BBR's running for gas money and buck a mile runs will soon go away..... and that is good for us who are business people first and steering wheel holders second....
Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

That's just it...most guys are jumping into this with no idea what they are getting into. I get questions like "how much is too much for a truck payment?" "Can I get an advance for fuel right away?" etc. That just throws up all kinds of warning signs.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
I get questions like "Can I get an advance for fuel right away?" etc.
Why? Are you giving them away? Can I have one? :wink:
Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

The big companies are smart enough to keep their FSC, insurance rates, etc. at about the same relative level. Therefore, leasing onto them isn't really any worse a proposition now than it was before. I imagine that's the deal that most first-timers are looking at.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Senior Board Member

I think you answered a question I asked you quite a while ago in PM's, TF. We chatted about the Heartland O/o proram and i said it wasn't enough. You said the paid permits, plates ect made the rate justifiable.

I wasn't being cocky, and neither one of us get defensive and accepted each others' point of view.

But to answer your post, I have no idea why people jump into the o/o side. Maybe they see big bunks rolling down the road and it coul be them. Maybe they hear what o/o's are taking home and want that too. Then they lease on to Swft, Werner, etc and it doesn't work out quite so well.

I think its the mentality I see in dirt bikes and atv's when I'm at the trails. I bought a used Yamaha Banshee for 2500 bucks. I talked with a Dad quite a few months ago who said name brand was overrated and bought 2 NEW atv's from PepBoys for less than I paid for a used one and thought he had the better deal.

Now the 2 situations above aren't close to being the same, but the logic follows both. Mainly, look at what you're doing and look at the long term. If you are starting with a crap plan you're gonna fail. Needing a cash advance before starting...not the best leg to start off on. I've started a new gig and did $4200 in repairs and ran close to 5000 miles with my new company and haven't seen a paycheck yet (due to pay period cutoffs) and have yet to get a cash advance.

Being an o/o can be a great deal over a company driver. But, on the other hand, being a company driver can be the berries over beng o/o.

I can riddle you that, as I see what you're saying by talking to drivers. Truck drivers as a whole aren't stupid, but man I run into a lot of dumb ones who couldn't run a bake sale.

Example- I'm in Las Vegas at the Wild Wild West. My Dad and I were walking through the lot the other day and he ran into another driver for the same company he's leased to. The driver had been there 3 days waiting on the show freight and was in the parking lot. (What's your point bandit?) Well, as of recent its like 10 bucks a day to park. On top of the the driver idles for electric and heat. Looked like he and his wife hadn't showered in a few days. The kicker is he refuses to pay the "high prices" of the motel. My Dad asked if he went to the front desk to ask what the room rates were. Of course, he said "no". We said good day and kept walking. Roms are $25 plus tax, and include free parking. Any o/o would see who's getting the better deal :wink:
Old 03-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Quote:
What would possess a person to actually buy a truck today and hit the O/O side of the business. I'm not talking about guys already in it...I want to know why I field so many phone call from drivers looking to buy a truck and be an O/O.

I gotta ask and I'll do it here for the benefit of all these guys that have been calling me.

"Are you bloody nuts?!?!?"
It's a CONSPIRACY :twisted: !

Can't anyone around here DECIPHER it :idea: ?

...at least 'give it a try!'

God Bless all
Old 03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Yeah, Bandit, I guess that's my issue. Most of the guys I talk to don't have a plan. They may not be dumb, but they are clueless about what it's going to take to be an O/O. I've rained on a few parades over the past few weeks by spelling it out for them. Most of them simply haven't built a business plan or have any type of a plan for success. They just see that they'll be driving their own truck and making big bucks. Well, grossing $150K as an O/O means nothing if your fuel and other expenses are $149K and that happens far too often.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Yeah, Bandit, I guess that's my issue. Most of the guys I talk to don't have a plan. They may not be dumb, but they are clueless about what it's going to take to be an O/O. I've rained on a few parades over the past few weeks by spelling it out for them. Most of them simply haven't built a business plan or have any type of a plan for success. They just see that they'll be driving their own truck and making big bucks. :shock: :shock: Well, grossing $150K as an O/O means nothing if your fuel and other expenses are $149K and that happens far too often. :shock: :shock:
I hope some shmuck doesn't actually run like that !! Anybody who does run like that...is a shmuck!

Bandit said it right. A guy getting into this pretty much better have a plan, and damn sure better have some self-motivation. The idea of a family and living life free and easy is awesome...but if your gonna want all weekends off...and be headed there by 4 pm on a thursday each week...doing the O/O thing is not for those ....shmucks. Just about all that I have seen fail, did so because they wanted to be home on specific days each week, didn't want to haul specific loads because they went -----> over there.....<----- instead of over there.

Make the money to relax...then relax.

Last month I spent $7900 on repairs, and still have enough in the bank to do another ....Gawd forbid $7900.(plus paid all the bills)
Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 PM

I figured out along time ago that you can teach a business man how to drive a truck pretty easily, but teaching a truck driver how to run a business is alot harder. Most of the guys I talk to are in it for the truck, they are so worried about chrome and looks, I spoke to one guy recently who spent $56k out of his savings and severance from his old company buying an EXHD Pete 550 Cat, pulled the sleeper off (day cabing it) shortening the 270" down to 240" and just now found out how much a dump body is going to cost him, $29k "for the one he really wants". He already had T-shirts made with a picture of the truck on it so he said it will suck if the truck wont match the shirts. All this and his ONLY contact for work is me and I got ZIP for him. And to top it all off he only has till 2013 to be in compliance with the smog/particulate stuff, if he even makes it that far.