User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Giving up the corporate life and not going after trucking

Hey guys. First of all, I'd like to say thanks to everyone of you that have been answering all my questions for the past year or so as I considered trucking. I am a corporate white collar guy with an MBA and I'm sick of it. I'm 31, married and have a 9 year old step daughter. I almost made the jump to trucking but with the way things are looking with fuel prices, just too risky. Plus, the starter companies...heck...looks like you about starve to death on the pay with those guys like Swift. Ok, I'll get to the point now. My wife was medically retired from the Air Force. She was enlisted and she missed it. After much thought, research and questions, I have decided to join the Air Force. With my degree and background, I'll be going in as a 1st Lieutenant. Over the past 6 months, I have been pushed by a higher force to serve and protect (considered Police officer as well) so I feel that I need to do this. I want to put in 20 years and be done when I'm 51. My family and friends are pretty surprised!

Good luck to all of you guys and be safe out there.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Giving up the corporate life and not going after truckin

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1995
Hey guys. First of all, I'd like to say thanks to everyone of you that have been answering all my questions for the past year or so as I considered trucking. I am a corporate white collar guy with an MBA and I'm sick of it. I'm 31, married and have a 9 year old step daughter. I almost made the jump to trucking but with the way things are looking with fuel prices, just too risky. Plus, the starter companies...heck...looks like you about starve to death on the pay with those guys like Swift. Ok, I'll get to the point now. My wife was medically retired from the Air Force. She was enlisted and she missed it. After much thought, research and questions, I have decided to join the Air Force. With my degree and background, I'll be going in as a 1st Lieutenant. Over the past 6 months, I have been pushed by a higher force to serve and protect (considered Police officer as well) so I feel that I need to do this. I want to put in 20 years and be done when I'm 51. My family and friends are pretty surprised!

Sounds like a good choice
Old 03-17-2008, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member

A college buddy of mine enlisted as a 2nd Lieutenant when we got out of school in 1987. If I had followed him I could have been retired by now, but instead I went into the private sector and worked for General Motors for 17 years and I can't get my pension until 2032.

Smart eh?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
A college buddy of mine enlisted as a 2nd Lieutenant when we got out of school in 1987. If I had followed him I could have been retired by now, but instead I went into the private sector and worked for General Motors for 17 years and I can't get my pension until 2032.

Smart eh?
atlest you get a pension

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-17-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:

With a MBA why settle for Law enforcement ! If I qualified I would try for Cargo Plane pilot! Those are the guys that get out an work for FED EX or UPS!

Just My 2 Cents! Good Luck!

"Big Red One" , 3rd ID, 82nd Airborne, Recondo, Jumpmaster, & Drill Sergeant

OOIDA
Old 03-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:

Thank you so much for choosing to serve our country. You are to be commended. Best of luck to you, and God Bless.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Board Regular

#2 son just got back fron Iraq
Yes, the Air Force goes to Iraq
stationed at Wright Patterson AFB
Old 03-19-2008, 08:03 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
stationed at Wright Patterson AFB
I was born in Dayton, OH, and lived there and in Cincy for quite a good part of my early youth. I remember the fighter jets taking off...very cool. And the Wright Patterson AFB Museum is/was the coolest in the world. My dad used to take us there all the time back in the 70's.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Seems like a lot more things will be open to you with this choice and I wish you the best.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:53 AM

Thank for the kind words guys. I'm looking pretty closely at Security Forces. It's a huge change for me but it's something that I need to do...sand or no sand. Thanks for all of you that have answered my tons of questions on here with regard to trucking. I've enjoyed reading all the posts...even Steve Booth's!