User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

We are hauling insulation out to Denver and hauling 3 wrecked cars back. They load them with a forlift, one behind the other. Most of the rebuilders they come back to have a rollback to unload them with.

We had some 9' straps made with a loop on one end. We run the strap around each tire and back throught the loop and rachet it tight.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Board Regular

Well I finished out my first week. For the most part it was ok but pretty hard work. I found out that the rates are not as good as I was told .
I was quoted 77.00 from Bowling green to Lebanon per car. Actually it is
68.25 with a raise coming next week which will put it at 74.75. I talked to Ed about this and he said he understood my concern but the rate I was getting was infact top rate. Seems the folks at Copart have a communication problem . Now I do get more for cars that are further away, for example I got two from Beaver Dam that paid 99.75 each . Beaver Dam is about 30 or so miles above Bowling Green and about the same from my house so that worked out good. I also realized that I have to park the truck in Bowling Green to make this work . Most of the cars are right in town . I called a self storage place and they said I could park there for 60.00 per month . I explained what that I would be leaving the truck there at night and exchanging my car in the morn and they said fine . I admit I am somewhat upset over the lower rate but I believe this could still work out. It is only about 62 miles from BG to Copart so If I continue to get a lot of cars I will do fine . One of the other haulers out of Kentucky might be quitting and they are 30 miles from me so I might get their loads as well . Anyway I learned a lot this week from other guys For instance , When I had two cars on the 28 ft section of the bed I would try not let them touch even if thay were damaged . I saw a lot of other haulers with thiers crammed up against each other so I asked one if that was ok . HE said sure if it is the damaged end against the othercars damaged end. This helps out if I have two cars that will barely fit. Also I was told that in TN and KY you can't secure your car with only the cable and v chain on the front , gotta have straps or chains on each corner as well. I was already doing this but if this is true it is still good to know.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Board Regular

So Cal I will give you a report at the end of this week .I started late on Mon so I might get more cars this week and will know more of what to expect. . If you live near a facility you can do fine but like myself being pretty far away I probably couldn't make it work without the parking place. It is extremely dirty work, grease, mud, soot ( had one burnt truck ,it was nasty). The biggest problem I had was waiting on people and having to move other cars out of the way when picking them up .I do not actually move the cars, was told never touch another car because they could claim damage , so I have to wait on the tow guys to move them around . They take their time . I probably lost a total of 10 hours this week just waiting on folks . I saw a lot of guys pulling three car trailers with winches, I thought about that but some of the places I went to , it was actually easier in my big ole rollback to get into.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:25 AM

Thanks Darin I look forward to hearing from you. I live about 30 mi from the nearest one as well. I have been noticing a few hot shot wedge trailer guys running around and noticed the same guys a few times a day so they must have a local gig probably from the C.A.D.E. auction to dealers.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Darin..what was the average number of cars per day, that you were able to move this week? Try to keep track...and each week see if you find ways to improve that carry rate.

Are you getting a fuel surcharge on top of the per car rate..or are they telling you the FSC is included?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Board Regular

Orange, Heres what I did. On Monday I got 3 to haul in and 1 to haul out, Tuesday I got 3 in , Wed 5 in ,Thurs, 3, fri 3 in , 1 out for a total of 19. I am hoping to do more this week. One thing is I started late on Mon , and this week I am starting with two going in from my area early on Mon.
I was told it picks up toward spring. I hope to get more going out , only had two this week. Anyway Like I said I gotta work smarter. I learned some good tricks that will save time while securing . I did spend a great deal of time last week securing the cars, which to me is most important , but I have been getting faster. Another thing is car placement. I have learned which size cars will fit on my bed , upper headrack and wheel lift. I waisted time last week trying to figure out which car I can wheellift or not. You see I get a sheet that tells what car it is and if it can be towed or not . A couple of cars listed as NO TOW were actually towable afterall, So I waisted time arranging the cars or routing my self to get , one car before the next. now I call the pickup location and find out if infact they can be towed. BTW, FSC is included . :roll:
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Board Regular

Hey SoCal, I heard of another Salvage auction near by that just got bought out . I forget their name but they are one of the big ones. I might look into them as well. I like the three car wedge idea, but you def need a winch . Also you can use wheel straps ( had them with my old two car hauler and loved them) . I thought about getting some for this truck but the tie downs are not exactly where they need to be , althought they could be changed.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Hey SoCal, I heard of another Salvage auction near by that just got bought out .
There are more salvage auctions being bought out. The regular auctions are slower because car sales are down so salvage gives them some diversification.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:26 AM

I was hauling sand again today and spotted a 3 axle tractor with a 6-7 car trailer, 3 below 4 up top so I slowed way down to let him catch u, thought I could get him on the CB and ask a few questions but dude was going like 40 MPH. I also spotted two of the same wedge guys I saw yesterday. If I could stay local maybe go AZ/NV it could be doable but I cant do the week away thing.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

When I left Denver last night they were looking for someone to haul 9 cars to New Mexico.