View Poll Results: Can you flatbed successfully without using tarps?
No, man, you're doomed. 8 50.00%
Yes! Just find the right niche. 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If you don't want to deal with the tarping, then I suggest you check into pulling vans or buy a flat with a curtain-side, Conestoga or similar tarping system. Those will add about $17,000 to the price of your trailer. You can haul almost anything with a Conestoga. You may also want to check into side kits. They run from about $1,800-3,600. The lightweight kits are more expensive than the plywood kits. You will usually need to break down part of one side to load and unload. A side kit is more versatile than other types of tarping systems. And then there is also the difference in purchase price.
What about stepdeck trailers? If 50% of flatbed loads require tarping the number cannot be as high for stepdecks, right? I was thinking, if I bought a 53 foot stepdeck with ramps, then it can be loaded with most flatbed loads (45 ft deck) plus you can haul machinery and oversize.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-24-2008, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I always tell a shipper or broker that it will cost them extra for tarping. When you add services, you need to expect to pay more. I find it interesting when I tell them about the extra tarp charge that it can sometimes suddenly NOT really need to be tarped. :roll: On the other hand, there are legitimate reasons why some loads need to be tarped. I have known owner operators who refuse to take any load that needs to be tarped. If you don't want to deal with the tarping, then I suggest you check into pulling vans or buy a flat with a curtain-side, Conestoga or similar tarping system. Those will add about $17,000 to the price of your trailer. You can haul almost anything with a Conestoga. You may also want to check into side kits. They run from about $1,800-3,600. The lightweight kits are more expensive than the plywood kits. You will usually need to break down part of one side to load and unload. A side kit is more versatile than other types of tarping systems. And then there is also the difference in purchase price.
But with side kits you can only take low loads like steel, aluminum logs, or coils. you'll have to say 'no' to lumber and most construction materials, right?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer
Quote:
I always tell a shipper or broker that it will cost them extra for tarping. When you add services, you need to expect to pay more. I find it interesting when I tell them about the extra tarp charge that it can sometimes suddenly NOT really need to be tarped. :roll: On the other hand, there are legitimate reasons why some loads need to be tarped. I have known owner operators who refuse to take any load that needs to be tarped. If you don't want to deal with the tarping, then I suggest you check into pulling vans or buy a flat with a curtain-side, Conestoga or similar tarping system. Those will add about $17,000 to the price of your trailer. You can haul almost anything with a Conestoga. You may also want to check into side kits. They run from about $1,800-3,600. The lightweight kits are more expensive than the plywood kits. You will usually need to break down part of one side to load and unload. A side kit is more versatile than other types of tarping systems. And then there is also the difference in purchase price.
But with side kits you can only take low loads like steel, aluminum logs, or coils. you'll have to say 'no' to lumber and most construction materials, right?
Why are you so cranked up on this tarping issue ??? If your going to run open equipment then it's going to be required from time to time it's that simple !!! Running open equipment is more work than a box trailer and theres not much way around that !! Why do you see so many dirty flatbed drivers verses box drivers ??? Now mind you they (or myself) don't stay dirty but after we have tarped n tied some-thing down we are dirty'r than a driver thats just stood there n watched them load palletized product inside their van trailer !!! Thats also 1 of the reasons that this type of freight tends to pay more than a box !!!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
If you don't want to deal with the tarping, then I suggest you check into pulling vans or buy a flat with a curtain-side, Conestoga or similar tarping system. Those will add about $17,000 to the price of your trailer. You can haul almost anything with a Conestoga. You may also want to check into side kits. They run from about $1,800-3,600. The lightweight kits are more expensive than the plywood kits. You will usually need to break down part of one side to load and unload. A side kit is more versatile than other types of tarping systems. And then there is also the difference in purchase price.
What about stepdeck trailers? If 50% of flatbed loads require tarping the number cannot be as high for stepdecks, right? I was thinking, if I bought a 53 foot stepdeck with ramps, then it can be loaded with most flatbed loads (45 ft deck) plus you can haul machinery and oversize.

It depends on the type of freight you haul. There are a lot of step deck loads which will go on a flat. Even a lot of step deck loads will require tarps. My 53' step deck has a 42' bottom deck. I prefer a 11' top deck. Risers or elevators would also be good to have along with ramps on a step deck. There are some companies that manufacture ramps which are also used as risers or elevators. You do have some versatility with a step deck. I have gotten loads with a step deck that would not work on a flat. I have also lost flat bed loads when I have had my step deck. Not all shippers will load both types of trailers. If you pull a flat, step or other type of open trailer you will either need to tarp much of the time or sit quite a bit.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:

You are not limited at all with a side kit as long as you are willing to break it down and stow it on or under the trailer. I usually stow mine on the front of the trailer. There are companies that make storage compartments that fit underneath the trailer. If you are unwilling to break the kit down, you will limit yourself to some degree with lumber, etc. To me it isn't a great sacrifice since wood products are usually cheap. I rarely haul lumber. In fact, I am not sure that I have hauled a load of lumber in more than a year. With a side kit you can still haul over width loads as long as you break down the kit.

Each trailer has it's benefits and drawbacks. Flats and steps cost more than most vans, and then there is the cost of tarps and securement equipment. Any type of open trailer will require some physical effort. Each load is somewhat different. If you don't want to tarp I would suggest not getting into open trailers. You may be happier with a van or reefer. All you usually do with either is drive. There are some exceptions where you will need to assist in unloading, however you can choose to hire a lumper to do that work for you.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member

I make it sound easy because it is.

Just like the story about the aluminum billets in the summer....if they would have been quoted a reasonable line haul rate + a high tarp fee, they would not have been tarped. :lol:

As far as SD's getting fewer tarped loads, this is most likely because machinery often doesn't require a tarp.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
My 53' step deck has a 42' bottom deck. I prefer a 11' top deck. Risers or elevators would also be good to have along with ramps on a step deck. There are some companies that manufacture ramps which are also used as risers or elevators. You do have some versatility with a step deck.
GMan, why did you get a 53 foot stepdeck? does it offer advantages over the regular 48 ft one?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-28-2008, 03:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
My 53' step deck has a 42' bottom deck. I prefer a 11' top deck. Risers or elevators would also be good to have along with ramps on a step deck. There are some companies that manufacture ramps which are also used as risers or elevators. You do have some versatility with a step deck.
GMan, why did you get a 53 foot stepdeck? does it offer advantages over the regular 48 ft one?
Is this a trick question? Oh wait, I'm not G-man. :roll: