User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Double brokered ?

Ok since I am new to this I would like your opinion. The dispatch service I signed up with sent me the the BOL for my last pick up and I noticed that it had been double brokered I think .
It said that the car was paying 350.00 to companyx minus 10%, then said my part was 315.00, in which I had to pay 10%. Is this normal? I didn't say anything being that I am new and we really never discussed this sort of thing . I also found out that the loads are coming strait from the largest Dispatch load there is for cars . I will not name it but you guys can figure that out. Also on the site where I found this dispatcher , they advertised that they would do all paper work such as faxes to the shippers and receivers and all I have to do is pick up the cars and deliver. They went on about how much faxes on the road cost and how long you had to wait to get them but they would do all of that for you. On one occasion I was told ( while on my trip) to find a place to get a fax, for my next load in which I would have had to search out a truck stop, and recieve the faxes and pay for them . I understand this is normal for a lot of you guys but I was told different from this dispatch service. I had the dispatcher send them to the shipper and picked them up so this turned out ok but never the less According to the add I should have not been put in the position to have to go and get my own faxes . Finally After signing on I found out ths dispatcher has another job , this was evident when Wed I sat for 4.5 hours waiting for a load to find out the dispatcher was in a meeting at their other job. Again not whining but want some feed back thanks. Darin
Old 02-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Darin..unfortunately, double brokering is all to common an occurence, in trucking.

As for your business...might I make this suggestion?

Start contacting the Regional offices of all the various insurance companies. Get them your information, IE; Services you can provide, your DOT & Insurance information, your "Rate" for moving their cars. I realize you have contacted Co-part..but getting your name & info into the hands of the insurance adjusters might help you, and cut out the brokers.

You might also consider contacting some of the Car Carriers..like Jack Cooper, Cassins(sp), Waggoneers Trucking, GSST(Gulf States Toyota Transportation)Milton's Car Hauling, C.A.R.S.! Some or all of them, may have business they will throw your way, from their brokerages.
I chatted with a guy in NJ monday afternoon, whom is doing what you are doing(even has an old co-part unit). He said he get's a lot of his work from the major car haulers. I was shocked to hear the numbers of cars that get ruined during transit.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Board Regular

Thanks Orange, I did try Copart for the umpteenth time , this time to find out the guy I was dealing with was in California all week . I sent in my application and low and behold friday eve my insurance company called and said that Copart called them ( they got my app) and requested to be named as an insured on my policy. This will cost me 200.00 more dollars
so I want to talk to them again and get more info on how much they will use me. All I was ever told is that they could use a 4 car hauler and needed someone around Bowling Green KY .
Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Thanks Orange, I did try Copart for the umpteenth time , this time to find out the guy I was dealing with was in California all week . I sent in my application and low and behold friday eve my insurance company called and said that Copart called them ( they got my app) and requested to be named as an insured on my policy. This will cost me 200.00 more dollars
so I want to talk to them again and get more info on how much they will use me. All I was ever told is that they could use a 4 car hauler and needed someone around Bowling Green KY .
Darin..you need to talk with your insurance..or better yet...whom is your insurance coverage through???

Getting your insurance to send co-part a certificate should not cost you anything, unless the insurance company wants to be cheap and charge you for faxing services.The shipper being named on an insurance certificate is an everyday occurence.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Board Regular

I was suprised as well. I have had to get my ins to send certificates of ins to a couple of different places which didn't cost a thing , but for some reason I think this is a different sorta thing . I will find out what exactly it is on Monday. Copart is proving to be quite difficult and I don't understand why. I hauled out of Copart on my first load and it was nothing special , as a matter of fact I went into the facility to get someone to sign a condition report to cover myself from being blamed for any damage that already existed and they acted like I was crazy. I was sure I would be blamed but was told they never fillout or sign anything . I think in thier papers they had sent to me , they mentioned that I would have to make out a condition report if I were hauling for them . Also they sling those cars around with that big forklift like it is a bail of hay . Funny that they are so picky about ins coverage.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should ALWAYS make sure you receive a load confirmation before taking a load. You need a confirmation and signed bill of lading to get paid by most brokers or shippers. Most confirmations come via fax. You can save a lot of money if you have a laptop and all in one printer in your truck. You can subscribe to efax or similar service so that you can send and receive faxes over the internet. It costs about $10/month.

I am not sure your dispatcher is double brokering. He may only be doing what is in your agreement. If not, then I would discuss it with him and then decide whether you want to continue your relationship or not.

As far as the condition report is concerned. It is common in the car hauling industry. It protects you more than anyone. When I hauled cars I had one that I used which had a line drawing of a vehicle. I noted any damage on the vehicle and circled the area on the drawing. I then got the shipper to sign off on it. Any damage that was not noted could be charged back to me. I would also consider using a digital camera to visually note any damage. You protect yourself and avoid any misunderstandings about damage.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Board Regular

G-man , I have the same sort of condition reports. I spent over an hour just on the four cars I got at Copart to find out they will not sign one. I was afraid that I would get blamed for the damages. They were beat all to pieces, but when I delivered them I could see that they could careless. They took them off of the truck with a small forklift from the side , not giving a second thought to tearing up the underside and stuffed them into a container to ship overseas. They had some sort of nylon rope slings in the containers to set the upper cars on . Weird!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:55 AM

Darin, what Copart is doing is trying to be an additional insured on your policy instead of a certificate holder, that's why there's an up charge. Have your agent explain the difference.

As for the dispatch thing, it's a dispatch service which means it's someone trolling load boards and taking a cut, they are looking the same boards that you can. If your wife doesn't work teach her to do it and save the 10%
Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
G-man , I have the same sort of condition reports. I spent over an hour just on the four cars I got at Copart to find out they will not sign one. I was afraid that I would get blamed for the damages. They were beat all to pieces, but when I delivered them I could see that they could careless. They took them off of the truck with a small forklift from the side , not giving a second thought to tearing up the underside and stuffed them into a container to ship overseas. They had some sort of nylon rope slings in the containers to set the upper cars on . Weird!

Darin, it usually isn't important to have a condition report when you pick up wrecked cars, but I would make a note on either the confirmation or bill of lading that the cars are wrecked. Most people are honest, but occasionally you will find someone who isn't. You could still take a photo of them when you pick up. I found that people who ship or receive cars are more apt to file a claim than most other types of freight. It is very easy to put a scratch on a car. You are not as likely to damage something on the type of setup you have as a 10 car hauler like I used to own. In any case, you need to make sure you protect yourself.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Board Regular

Thanks Chief, I will get that strait tomorrow. I also believe my wife can do the same thing this service is doing. Funny thing, I looked into joining the same loadboard my dispatch service is using and they required three references from either brokers, dealers . Me being brand new didn't have any ( have two now) so I did not try to join. The funny thing is that this dispatch service I used ( last week) also just started ,so I wonder how they had references. Could be different for brokers .