LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 04:02 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Extended warrenty or not ?

2003 Kenworth T-600
475 hp Cummins ISX
13 speed, 3:58 ratio

Was okd on my truck loan today. Now i need to decide if i want or need the extended warrenty,all internaly lubricated parts, engine, tran, diffs, covered for 200,000 or 2 yrs $3,000 and injectors and turbo $750.00 for 200,000 miles or 2yrs, total $3,750.00

The truck drives and feels like a new truck but it still has 807,000 miles on it and i can find no major work done on it in its records and im sure the previous owner, Giltners, Took very good care of it!

So damn what should i do?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Extended Warrenty

What's the track record of the company offering the "extended warrenty"? I'm guessing it's not the dealer. BOL
Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

With that many miles you are more likely to have to do an overhaul at any time. There are usually exclusions to these warranties, such as normal wear and tear. I would be tempted to buy the extended warranty because of the miles, but would read the contract VERY carefully.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Board Regular

When I bought my 2003 KW W900L, I checked around for a warranty that would cover a truck with 775,00 miles on it, 390 gear, 13 speed trans.

I went with National Truck Protection out of NJ. Total cost was $4100.00. This covers my engine for 2 years, 200,000 (Nothing electrical), but does cover the injectors and turbo for the 1st year. In this it also included the trans and both rear axles for 1 year or 100,000 miles.

After the first year on the engine it does not cover the injectors or turbo. I checked around and even spoke to the CAT People, and they told me they would be around $4600.00 and not cover the turbo, trans, or rear axles. Super nice people at the CAT Place, I faxed him a copy of the info the NTP sent me, and he called me and told me he would go with them.

I did, had trans problem 2 weeks after buying the truck and NTP came through as promised.

They do have a mileage limit 800,000, I think this is correct, and year limit, not sure what that is. I have been very happy with what they did for me.

I wanted a some help in case my truck did break down the first year, and total cost for the trans repair came to $2300.00, so it had already paid for half of the cost.

You do have to take it to one of their approved places for an inspection, and pay for this yourself. I went ot Stowers CAT Dealership in Knoxville TN. NTP sets the amount up what it will be according to what you are getting covered.

Mine was $515.00 if I remember correctly. Extra cost due to fact of checking the trans and rear axles. They did not do an oil sample test, though I had one done. They do put the engine on the dyno and check it out.

I was surprised at how easy the inspection was.

If something is wrong, you have to have it fixed before they will put a warranty on it. Nothing was wrong with mine.

Website is: http://www.nationaltruckprot.com/

Not trying to sell or endorse this, just giving you info on what I got for a truck with quite a few miles on it.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:52 AM
BANNED
Rookie

Given the decision to extend the warranty on your 2003 Kenworth T-600, considering factors like the truck's current condition and mileage is essential. It's a good sign that it drives like a new truck, but with 807,000 miles, it's worth taking precautions. In situations like this, having reliable support from Mahindra USA customer service can be beneficial, as they can provide insights into whether the warranty is a wise investment for your specific situation. Ultimately, it's about balancing the potential cost with the peace of mind that comes with extended coverage.

Last edited by kira5; 10-05-2023 at 10:50 AM.