User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

A lot of people claim to be good businesspeople when times are good; just look at the dot-com boom. It's when times get rough that you find out who the smart ones really are. :lol:
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joymax_Trans2
Does anybody thoroughly read what I post. I did say Shipper rates also. I call on Shippers everyday and have turned them down because their rates are too low. I turned the other driver's business around when the rates were high both on the Shipper & Broker side and there was a lot more existing freight. I gave him the same advice that I'm following. There are many ways to adjust to the market, I'm selecting the one that I want.

The driver's business that I turned around did not initially have his own authority and had no broker or shipper experience. This same driver has now parked his paid for truck & reefer unit until the rates increase so that he can keep all the money that he made in the bank. He is temporarily driving for a tanker company doing local runs in GA and getting paid $$$. His bank account and investments are still growing.
Are you running dry van, flatbed ??? If you are running dry van there are a zillion companies doing that, and the rates will be lower. I run two trucks w/reefer (not maryjane) I am getting good rates out Yuma for produce and nursery shipping starts pretty soon and my rate contracts this year are better than last.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 PM

The smart dot.comers saw the bottom ahead of time and got out with money in the bank. I was one of those dot.comers. It's just like the real estate investors, some were looking ahead and sold their properties before the prices dropped like boulders. They still have money in the bank and have moved on to the next venture.

Just take a look at the water drought in GA. Landscapers and nurseries have gone out of business trying to stick it out while waiting for rain. The drought has been going on ever since I arrived in GA 11 years ago. The largest nursey filed bankruptcy 2 months ago. Home Depot closed down their landscape division.

You guys can make whatever smart remarks you want - the bottom line if a business is not making the profit it expects, in the corporate world layoffs occur. Just take a look at GM and Ford. Need I say more.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 PM

BTW, I am doing some research to find a niche market. Well I just booked two $2.00 loads - there is still hope.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joymax_Trans2
The smart dot.comers saw the bottom ahead of time and got out with money in the bank. I was one of those dot.comers. It's just like the real estate investors, some were looking ahead and sold their properties before the prices dropped like boulders. They still have money in the bank and have moved on to the next venture.

Just take a look at the water drought in GA. Landscapers and nurseries have gone out of business trying to stick it out while waiting for rain. The drought has been going on ever since I arrived in GA 11 years ago. The largest nursey filed bankruptcy 2 months ago. Home Depot closed down their landscape division.

You guys can make whatever smart remarks you want - the bottom line if a business is not making the profit it expects, in the corporate world layoffs occur. Just take a look at GM and Ford. Need I say more.
Too many excuses and not looking for solutions.... :roll: Good Luck....

The herd keeps on thinning.... More for us.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel

Too many excuses and not looking for solutions....
It looks like she found the one;-Get rid off unprofitable business, and move on, while still ahead!
I wish more people would follow that trend... 8)
Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
\

It looks like she found the one;-Get rid off unprofitable business, and move on, while still ahead!
I agree. No point in going down with a sinking ship.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 PM

Whatever.......BigDiesel like I said before, I don't have to prove anything to anybody on this board. I was just voicing my concerns. I will just keep them to myself since there were so many negative comments made.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel

Too many excuses and not looking for solutions....
The OP never answered the question I posed.... My guess is that the OP is running dry van. Anyone can do dry van, hence there is no money in it. Also the OP states that their profit is not enough....

Is the OP expecting exponentialy higher profits each and every month/year ??? That does not happen in the real world. Some months or years may be better or worse, but that is when business skills shine.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry to hear about the problems in your business, Joymax. I hope things work out for you. There will always be ups and downs in business. Both are just regular cycles we must endure. Unfortunately, we are currently in a down cycle. It is only a matter of time when things turn around. We prepare for the down cycles during good times so that we can survive and prosper regardless of what is going on in the rest of the world. Rates are likely to be soft for at least the next couple of months, if not longer. I expect the year to be off from a year or two ago. We go through these every several years. When things get tight we must become more creative in how we conduct our business.