User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Considering selling the business.

The rates being offered from Brokers and Shippers these days have fallen way below my projected profit margin so my husband and I are considering closing up shop. It's starting not to be worth it anymore. Anyone interested in buying our equipment, please PM me.

We were doing pretty good running shorter miles but now that has changed. I used to get $500 for 250 miles. Now we are being offered $260 for 250 miles. We have to schedule longer runs to make the same profit that we were getting running shorter miles. Friday there was tons of frieght coming out of Miami, today there was hardly anything within a 300 mile radius that offered a rate that I would even consider. It was ridiculous 70 & 80 cents /mile. So we just decided to DH out toward GA (home).
Old 02-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Business requires constant adjustment to meet changing market demands. What type of equipment to you plan on selling?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 AM

GMAN, I sent you a PM
Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Things will get better. It's going to take a few months but it will start to pick up again. Go home chill out for a few days and you'll be able to think better. 8) Good luck to you. Here try this Always makes me feel better when the world seems to be kickin my a$$.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joymax_Trans2

I did not say you had to go to college to understand business but you do need to do is read and become knowledgible in business for the specific industry that you are running your business in. People were not born with business acument. It's a learned behavior. I guess that's why the truck repo man business is so profitable because people jump into this business not understanding business management for the truck industry. They think, oh, I'll just buy a truck, drive it, and not fully understand the trucking business or business management.

I guess what makes me upset is when people who really don't have clue make blanket statements about how others run their business. I can remember when Steve started on this forum and purchased his truck and all the things that he did not know. My husband has been in the trucking industry for 30+ yrs and I've been in the business for 2 years and he will tell that I taught him everything about this business except for how to drive the truck. Last year, a leased on driver came to me who was in the red (that's negative $ #s )and I turned his trucking business around in 1 year to the tune of $200,000. He listened and took the business plan that I created and followed it.

Ya know. You tore my face and a few others off and it was hard to pick just one of your posts to quote.

It's too bad you didn't make it but when you came in here pretty much telling me and a few other people we don't have a clue, well.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
It's too bad you didn't make it but when you came in here pretty much telling me and a few other people we don't have a clue, well.
Explain what is untrue about the following statement (which is the only mention of you in the post):

Quote:
I can remember when Steve started on this forum and purchased his truck and all the things that he did not know.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:49 PM

Steve Booth wrote:
<Ya know. You tore my face and a few others off and it was hard to pick <just one of your posts to quote.

<It's too bad you didn't make it but when you came in here pretty much <telling me and a few other people we don't have a clue, well.

Steve,

I have no control over rates but I do have control over my business as to whether it's profitable or not. I have a clue that's why I've chosen to leave. I look at both short & long term objectives of my business plan. I've made adjustments along the way to increase profitability and if I can no longer meet my expected profit % per year then it's not worth it to me. I was in this business to make a profit, that's what businesses do, that's there main objective. I was not in business to run my truck for fuel money like some others are doing.

I have other options of making money and that's what I'm about. I can take the money that I have in the bank and do other things with it. I also have the option to park my truck go do something else and come back when the rates have gone up. Some of the drivers don't have that option. You can say whatever you want -- like you, we have money in the bank and investments and that's where we want to keep it so when we retire we are not eating dog food or losing our house or other possessions.

And yes Steve, you still don't have a clue - just by the mere comment that you made. If something is not working for you - you stop. That's common sense.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 PM
BANNED
Default Re: Considering selling the business.

Quote:
The rates being offered from Brokers and Shippers these days have fallen way below my projected profit margin so my husband and I are considering closing up shop. It's starting not to be worth it anymore. Anyone interested in buying our equipment, please PM me.

We were doing pretty good running shorter miles but now that has changed. I used to get $500 for 250 miles. Now we are being offered $260 for 250 miles. We have to schedule longer runs to make the same profit that we were getting running shorter miles. Friday there was tons of frieght coming out of Miami, today there was hardly anything within a 300 mile radius that offered a rate that I would even consider. It was ridiculous 70 & 80 cents /mile. So we just decided to DH out toward GA (home).
On the face of things it appears you have been relying on brokers and that is a recipe for disaster.... In today's business climate one has to adapt to changing market conditions and make adjustments as needed and not sit back and hope for a good rate from a borker. You claim you are a turn around artist.... Then turn around your own business.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:45 PM

Does anybody thoroughly read what I post. I did say Shipper rates also. I call on Shippers everyday and have turned them down because their rates are too low. I turned the other driver's business around when the rates were high both on the Shipper & Broker side and there was a lot more existing freight. I gave him the same advice that I'm following. There are many ways to adjust to the market, I'm selecting the one that I want.

The driver's business that I turned around did not initially have his own authority and had no broker or shipper experience. This same driver has now parked his paid for truck & reefer unit until the rates increase so that he can keep all the money that he made in the bank. He is temporarily driving for a tanker company doing local runs in GA and getting paid $$$. His bank account and investments are still growing.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Good for you! I'd do the same, if that was an option for me. Good luck! 8)