User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default O/O vs. Previous Jobs

Hey guys. For those of you that came from other professions, especially white collar or business owners, how do you like trucking compared to the white collar industry? How does it compare? Any regrets? Thanks.

Anthony
Old 01-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Less stress.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Money's not as good but my time is all mine. Even if you're a company driver there's very little stress...assuming you're half-competent.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Board Regular

I suppose you could write a book about the differences in the occupations. I came to trucking after a twenty year police career. While there are things I miss, overall, I love the freedom of trucking, being my own boss and being rewarded when I work hard. I have no regrets, and just turned down an offer for a 60k per year state job wearing a suit and tie. I don't make anywhere near that trucking, but I don't want to go back to wearing a saddle. Maybe someday, but not now. I have been doing this a bit over two years and enjoy it most days. Not ALL days. It definitely takes keeping your head about you when you are generally treated like crap by forklift drivers and the like. I had a hi-up administrative job in police work and do miss being shown some respect. But, I just respect myself. That's what is important. I always think if some forklift guy is a jerk that, well, that's all he has to look forward to day in and day out. I treat everyone nice and usually am treated the same.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena;
whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
who knows the great enthusiasms,
the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course;
who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly;
so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls
who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Rookie
Default hmm

I'm still white collar and I'll tell you, its no picnic for them ether. So many banks have been laying off in the thousands. You get better pay then trucking but you have to deal with the fact that this might be your last month everyday. What made me real sad was the people who never saw it coming. Or rather did see it, but didn't think it would be them...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

if you are not making 60,000 a year in trucking you have no business doing it. you can make damn near that as a company hand at a good company...if you can't do better than that with your own truck you should hang it up, cause you are wasting your time....jmo

Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses.

Teal 95 KW, how long have you been an O/O? As far as the 60K a year that you mentioned, how long before someone new to the industry can realistically obtain that figure? I guess I sound typical of most people that are new and come on here. I'd like to drive company for 2-3 years then look at going O/O. I've read the upsides and downsides to both. It's kind of funny..some people say trucking is horrible and you'll starve to death while others say it can be a rewarding career with pretty good pay. It's so hard for someone considering the industry to read between the lines. Trucking sucks..trucking is great. This company is wonderful....the same company is terrible.

I do have a mind for business. In fact, I have a masters degree and business and feel that I can run a business. But, I don't know that I could get my hand around the trucking industry. It seems so widespread with more ups and downs than most. I can tell you that I don't have an interest in flatbed. I have tendonitus in my right knee so I don't think I could hold up to flatbedding.

It seems like if you dig and dig, you can find the good companies out there. The part that stinks is having to start with one of the big name ones. But, I guess you have to pay your dues and start someone. I'd rather learn the ropes, routes and whatnot in someone else's truck than my own. Ok..starting to ramble. Sorry.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member

I was an o/o for 2 1/2 years...I did household goods ( my white kw in the avatar), I did very well with it...I had a bad summer this summer and bowed out. a lot of guys are pulling out of that niche though, for several reasons. I wasn't eenjoying it anymore, I had a paid for truck which I was lucky enough to have my dad buy for me when I was 23...I sold it to put his investment back in his pocket, I don't love the industry really, and I have a very profitable family business that I have worked for 9 years and intend on taking over. I had wanted to drive since a little kid, more or less to say I had done it, I guess...I pull for a family owned company now doing flatbed work and up til lately (when things slowed down) I would bring home on average 1000 to 1200 a week..my highest has been 1400 take home and my lowest was 600 something...I had a family emergency and had to pass my load off onto someone else. I run extremely hard, I have been with these guys since the end of september of 07 and have ran almost 100,000 miles in that time. I am paid on percentage as well. there are whiners in trucking who are never happy and there are those who love it, same as anywhere else that you go...I try to ignore the bs and do my job, that's what im there for...not to hang out or whatever and make friends. you will have to serve your time before coming into highr paying companies typically...my company was very hard to get on at. I apologize for some of this being garbled and for not ujsing proper formation/ capitolization, but I am posting from my phone lol...hope that helps some?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

5000 miles a week?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Senior Board Member

close....not at 100,000 yet...started the 17th of september, and assuming I can stay running as decently as I have been albeit its slowed down...I should hit 100,000 by the first week of march, if not a little earlier...from where I live in texas, to topeka kansas to sacramento, ca. back to topeka back to cali....that has slowed big time, so now I am running military equipment out of sealy,tx. to portland oregon (2200 miles) and lumber back to san antonio jump to sealy and back to portland...takes about 8 days for the turn...little longer this trip as I got food poisoning sun. night. But, I am at 82, 138 so far mileage wise