User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Hey Orange, well I have not made a dime yet. As noted I got my authority last Tuesday eve. I had already filled out my agreement with Copart but did not want to send it in till I was sure of my authority being granted. So wed morn I sent in the agreement to Copart but as luck would have it the girl that handles it was sick . I actually called her and she did reaffirm that they needed a truck in the Bowling green area. I said that would work out perfect being that I would go thru BG to get to Nashville anyway. She said that she would look over the agreement. After a couple of days I have yet to hear from them so I called yesterday and she is still out . The Manager was there , he was the guy who originally told me that he would have loads for me but he as usual is very busy ( he is very hard to get on the phone ) . I left a # but as of this am no call. Also since I got my Authority I had my letters made, again I waited till I was fully granted . I could not put them on till it warmed up
so Sunday I put them on. My cards were printed friday and I got them
and went on a quest yesterday , handing out cards. I visited a lot of local dealers , the first one was in Sacramento KY about 17 miles from my home . He was interested and asked what I would charge to haul from Louisville. I told him I was new at this and would get back in a little bit
being that I was not sure the exact milage from his place to Louisville.
I learned a good lesson , I need to carry my atlas . Anyway I went on to several other places. One other dealer asked what I would charge to take
three Bentleys to FLA . This would be a 2000 mile round trip and he stated he could take them himself for around $800.00
. I said that I could not do that . Also the cars had to be on a truck or trailer , could not be on a wheellift, this would not work for me because of the size
of the three ( bigcars) . Anyway I left my card and he said he would call on me if needed for other loads. I did call the first dealer back and got a
voice mail so I have yet to hear from him. Several of the other dealers
were hauling their own cars but I left them a card anyway in case they ever needed help. I also went to two tractor dealers and both said thay may need me from time to time. I have sent in my info to a couple of loadboards on the net, one being CARSARRIVE . I suppose it takes a a little while for them to check everything out. Finally last night I ran across a broker that said they needed trucks and could keep them loaded . they charge 10% . I think if they did infact keep me loaded it would be worth it, So I sent in my info and will call their 800 # this am also. Tomorrow
( if I am not loaded ) I will go to the Auction in Evansville IN , about 45 to 50 miles away and hand out cards . I hope to get with copart, that would be a good gig but I gotta be flexible for any loads right now . I need to build a reputation and that could take time . I am not discouraged
at all . I expected this and am prepared to crawl before I walk before I run. I gotta get off this net ( dialup) and make some calls . Thanks Darin
There is a fine example of someone trying to take advantage. That dealer most likely would have to pay $800 per car, to get those cars moved to FL...not $800 for the three. These guy's can give you a qoute. http://www.reliable-carriers.com/
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Board Regular

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! I will contact them . I did talk to Copart this
morning. The girl is still out . The Manager did come to the phone and said that the fax I sent came in sorta weird, two pages one day , two the next and so-on. He said he will overnight me a new packet . He said the
info I sent was their old packet . Anyway I will fill it out and drive down
there if necessary to get this done. Also I talked to the lady at CROSS ROADS DISPATCH , she is the one I mentioned in the previous post
that charges 10%. She said she would keep me busy if I wanted to run
and said she handled everything , all paperwork so I do not have to fax
papers for each load . She books everything a week ahead according to her and gets loads that pay atleast 50ct per car per mile . I my case that would be good if I got 3 or 4 cars. My projected cost to run the truck is
around 50ct per mile. This is figured on 8 mpg . I have been getting
around 12 empty and not really sure what I will get loaded but hope for
at least 8 . Anyway I figure at 8 , fuel will coat about 40 ct per mile
at the current prices. My ins , tags, and other filings cost about 7500.00
per year so based on 100000 miles that would be 7.5 cent . If I get less than 100000 miles ofcoarse the 7.5 ct permile would be increased but I needed a figure to use so I did what most people do and used 100000.
That leaves 2.5 per mile for maintance which is probably way low
but there again I hope this truck will run one year without many problems
The tires are all new , the oil has been changed every 5000 miles according to the former owner and so far has drove and ran very well.
Even if the 50ct per mile figure is low there is room for adjustment. The cost for fuel may get higher during the year,maintinance and or repairs
may be higher but even at 75ct per mile I believe this can still be profitable if I get 1.50 to 2.00 per mile .
Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Darin, congratulations on getting going and I wish you good luck.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Board Regular

Thank you Merrick4. Well no Overnight Packet from Copart yet UGH :sad:, Oh well , what can I do but call them again . Perhaps I will drive down there after all.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Figured I would post the image for Darin.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Ready to roll !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Well I now am fully legal , Whoopie! Went to Frankfurt, got there 25 minutes before they closed , paid for IRP, UCR, and got my IFTA ( Authority was granted friday ) .
Thanks to all on this forum who have responded so far . Now I gotta get out there and make some money!
Ok..you've had the authority for a week already..how many $$$ have ya made so far??
But he hasn't lost any.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Board Regular