User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Shopping For new Company to Lease with

Yo everyone, haven't visited for a while....need all the advice and experienced opinions we can get here. We started with Werner in September 2005 and ran 250,000 miles our first 13 months as company drivers, bought a truck in Jan 2007, we are financed and insured on our own no ties to Werner, we just ran 260,00 miles as O/O this last year, averaging 86 cents per w/ national fuel surcharge put us in the 1.16 -1.20 per mile range, problem is Werner's as the crow flys miles pay had us run between 15-25k miles without being compensated......We are taking a good 10-14 day break starting today to look for a better deal. Ya, Werner pays permits, base plates, tolls, pre-pass, 152 a month X2 BCBS health insurance but I figure without even close to practical miles we can cover some of those costs if we can lease on with a company that will pay a better rate ......any suggestions? We have been hearing about Landstar, and I just recently talked with Panther Expidited recruiter- that sounds like less consistent wear and tear on our truck but much better pay, and they have a government program that can pay around 2.00 per mile.....we are all ears kids.....bring it on! Also, we are fixin to add an extended warranty 300,000 mile to our c-15 Cat motor....any experience or advice on this move.......I see a couple of you drivers that were here 2 1/2 years ago when we first thought about doing this are still here....Hope all is well, as you can see we been truckin R azzes off :!:
The Show is on the road! 600K and rollin on
Wildturkey & Blue Skyzzzz
Old 01-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You didn't give much information as to the type of company you want. I assume that you run team from the miles you posted, unless you have about 6 log books and never sleep. Since you were with Werner, I also assume that you are looking for a carrier who has vans. I also assume that you have a truck but no trailer? Panther or most any of the Expedited carriers will have you sitting more than general freight, but when there is something to haul, you will need to get it to it's destination ASAP. Landstar might be a good match for you, depending on how pro active you are. They have an expedited division (Gemini). They have merged most of their companies into a single unit, from what I understand, but I think Gemini is still operating autonomously. Finding good paying loads takes time. Running for Landstar is much like running your own authority. Keep in mind that Landstar also uses short miles. You can still do well with them, but I would recommend either adding about 10% to their miles or do your own calculations to get the actual miles.

If you want to make money in this industry, stay away from those carriers who pay low mileage rates. You will never get ahead. Don't worry about trying to put a 260,000/year on your truck. All you are doing is wearing your truck out. You should be doing at least $1.50-2.00 for ALL miles. I received a call a couple of days ago about a van load that paid about $2.50/mile. I just didn't have a van. Whether you go with Landstar or another carrier, find one that pays a percentage of the line haul. Then don't haul cheap loads.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 PM

G-Man thanks for the reply,
one reason we want to get away from Werner IS the per mile rate as well as your point that we have a great running truck and do not want to wear it out. The Panther thing is curious to us as the offer $1.45 per mile and an option to qualify for government loads @ $2.00 per mile, we have been running so damn hard for going on 2 1/2 years that sitting a bit is not a bad thing, we have an APU paid cash for it, also an in-motion satellite TV set up so we actually live in the truck as we have no home to retreat to. The permits, pre-pass, tolls, authority are the biggest changes we will deal with as well as health insurance, all those 30+ years being musicians we never had the health so we have taken advantage of that with tests, dental, and vision upgrades....that we like alot....Tons of miles are not as important as per mile we run the truck, all we have is our truck payment, and operating costs from a financial point. We will be doing research all week in hopes to make a decision within 7-10 days and NOT go back out with Werner....we will keep in touch!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Shopping For new Company to Lease with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Them Other Truckrz
Yo everyone, haven't visited for a while....need all the advice and experienced opinions we can get here. We started with Werner in September 2005 and ran 250,000 miles our first 13 months as company drivers, bought a truck in Jan 2007, we are financed and insured on our own no ties to Werner, we just ran 260,00 miles as O/O this last year, averaging 86 cents per w/ national fuel surcharge put us in the 1.16 -1.20 per mile range, problem is Werner's as the crow flys miles pay had us run between 15-25k miles without being compensated......We are taking a good 10-14 day break starting today to look for a better deal. Ya, Werner pays permits, base plates, tolls, pre-pass, 152 a month X2 BCBS health insurance but I figure without even close to practical miles we can cover some of those costs if we can lease on with a company that will pay a better rate ......any suggestions? We have been hearing about Landstar, and I just recently talked with Panther Expidited recruiter- that sounds like less consistent wear and tear on our truck but much better pay, and they have a government program that can pay around 2.00 per mile.....we are all ears kids.....bring it on! Also, we are fixin to add an extended warranty 300,000 mile to our c-15 Cat motor....any experience or advice on this move.......I see a couple of you drivers that were here 2 1/2 years ago when we first thought about doing this are still here....Hope all is well, as you can see we been truckin R azzes off :!:

you should talk to Dart and OX, I have friends who are doing well with both of them
Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

I drove for Werner 6 months when i first started out, how you guys managed to put 260K miles on it i dont know, but there are places around that only want team, Landair is one of 'em, then Conway i believe and they all have better pay them Werner..

Freight is slow now so everything is pretty much in a hole..compared that is. :evil:

good luck
Old 01-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member

If you are talking with Panther..you might give FEDEX Custom Critical a look see as well. Have talked with a couple different O/O's with them, whom are very happy team drivers.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Atlas Van Lines special commodities or truckload divisions have a base rate above Werner, loads lighter than Werner, and a decent FSC.

Food for thought.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Atlas Van Lines special commodities or truckload divisions have a base rate above Werner, loads lighter than Werner, and a decent FSC.

Food for thought.
.91cpm....100% of FSC.

Thats what they all pay.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 PM

Well so far Panther @ $1.45 + fsc is best per rate so far, we R told we will run less miles but make more due to the expedited nature of Panther business. We are making 84 cents to $1.16 +fsc depending on length of haul with werner so we might just be OK where we are......still searching and hoping for more feedback....thanks for your opinions and experiences!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin

Food for thought.
.91cpm....100% of FSC.

Thats what they all pay.
This is true, but the extras are what brings the mileage rate up. I looked at them before, its not a bad gig.