LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Drivers License

The government has a new "fundraiser." We will all need to get a new drivers license and must prove our citizenship, etc., It will affect everyone who has a drivers license. It is supposed to be phased in over a period of years beginning with younger drivers. Of course, it is all done in the name of national security. We have a hazmat endorsement background check, another for port security and now just to get our drivers license. They are adding these new "security" measures to make us "safer." I suppose it makes much more sense than closing the southern border. That is too "simple." According to what was stated on the news, we will need to prove our citizenship and our identities will be checked using our social security cards. All of our information will be put in a national database. We are told that it will be secure. It will probably be as secure as the database of our servicemen that was stolen, or several computer break-ins at various banks. It certainly gives me more confidence that the government will collect more data on me and other citizens in the name of "national security." I wonder how much this additional level of "security" will cost? If you want to board a plane you will need one of these new drivers licenses or a passport. This programs seems somewhat redundant. There are several states who are resisting making these changes. It is supposed to be very costly for the states to implement. This just sounds like another redundant federally mandated money grab. Commercial drivers already spend hundreds of dollars for redundant background checks for ports and hazmat endorsements. If you have a gun permit, then you also have another redundant background check. It seems to me to be no more than another fundraiser for the government and an additional bureaucracy we don't need. What we really need is less government which will require less tax money to operate.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Redundancy is the governments job!
Old 01-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
What we really need is less government which will require less tax money to operate.
My God! and require people to have personal responsibility, and be able to think for themselves. We lowly peasants couldn't handle that.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: New Drivers License

Quote:
The government has a new "fundraiser." We will all need to get a new drivers license and must prove our citizenship, etc., It will affect everyone who has a drivers license. It is supposed to be phased in over a period of years beginning with younger drivers. Of course, it is all done in the name of national security. We have a hazmat endorsement background check, another for port security and now just to get our drivers license. They are adding these new "security" measures to make us "safer." I suppose it makes much more sense than closing the southern border. That is too "simple." According to what was stated on the news, we will need to prove our citizenship and our identities will be checked using our social security cards. All of our information will be put in a national database. We are told that it will be secure. It will probably be as secure as the database of our servicemen that was stolen, or several computer break-ins at various banks. It certainly gives me more confidence that the government will collect more data on me and other citizens in the name of "national security." I wonder how much this additional level of "security" will cost? If you want to board a plane you will need one of these new drivers licenses or a passport. This programs seems somewhat redundant. There are several states who are resisting making these changes. It is supposed to be very costly for the states to implement. This just sounds like another redundant federally mandated money grab. Commercial drivers already spend hundreds of dollars for redundant background checks for ports and hazmat endorsements. If you have a gun permit, then you also have another redundant background check. It seems to me to be no more than another fundraiser for the government and an additional bureaucracy we don't need. What we really need is less government which will require less tax money to operate.

I think this only applies to first time license, read this and it will be clear as mud
http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ontentId=30991
Old 01-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: New Drivers License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

I think this only applies to first time license, read this and it will be clear as mud
http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ontentId=30991

I just read it again, it does say renewal. well, maybe it wont pass..
Old 01-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Board Icon

Thank you, GMAN.

Yeah, it's getting a little crazy around here. Nutz.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Board Regular

Correct me if I am wrong but the article I read was dated 5-11-2005.
Is this even the same thing that GMAN is talking about. The article says:

The measure, which has been dubbed the “Real ID Act,” requires that license applicants present and states verify four documents before issuing a license:

a form of photo identification
a document showing date of birth
proof of a social security number or eligibility for a social security number
a document with name and principle address.

I think this is pretty much the way it has been for years , So I wonder if GMAN has some new info :?:
Old 01-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Rookie

On CNN (Lou Dobbs) last night they were talking about this very subject. The report was saying that this program wasn't going to be initiated until at least 2014, perhaps 2019. Due to the lack of databases needed to carry out the back ground checks.

I agree that it will stink to stand in line for a renwal and have to prove yourself a US citizen every four years. Do it once and the picture should be proof enough that you are who you say you are.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Darin, they have been discussing this for at least a couple of years. It seems that they are now in the process of implementing it. This plan sounds so much simpler to implement than doing something that will actually accomplish something, like closing the border and stopping the flow of illegals. :roll: It is nothing but a way to force a national identity card. It will cost a fortune to implement. Just another tax by another name. But they make it sound sooooo necessary. At this point, they are not even allowing for discussion. According to what I have heard, it is a done deal and they have already put in place a graduated time table based upon age. The assumption seems to be that young Americans could be considered terrorists, or at least they are the age group to be terrorists, so they will be the first. What about all the grannies in wheelchairs......aren't they considered a security risk??? The airport security people seem to think so. After all, you can't profile a certain age or ethnic group. That old granny just might have a pipe bomb in her cane, or 50 pounds of C4 hidden under her wheelchair. You can't trust those innocent little old ladies. Just look at those beady little eyes behind those bifocals. :roll:
Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Darin, they have been discussing this for at least a couple of years. It seems that they are now in the process of implementing it. This plan sounds so much simpler to implement than doing something that will actually accomplish something, like closing the border and stopping the flow of illegals. :roll: It is nothing but a way to force a national identity card. It will cost a fortune to implement. Just another tax by another name. But they make it sound sooooo necessary. At this point, they are not even allowing for discussion. According to what I have heard, it is a done deal and they have already put in place a graduated time table based upon age. The assumption seems to be that young Americans could be considered terrorists, or at least they are the age group to be terrorists, so they will be the first. What about all the grannies in wheelchairs......aren't they considered a security risk??? The airport security people seem to think so. After all, you can't profile a certain age or ethnic group. That old granny just might have a pipe bomb in her cane, or 50 pounds of C4 hidden under her wheelchair. You can't trust those innocent little old ladies. Just look at those beady little eyes behind those bifocals. :roll:
Quote:
Just another tax by another name. But they make it sound sooooo necessary.
Another tax, it is.
And, the gov't may fear us citizens. and look at any and all measures with which to control us.

They target the younger generation first, since they have no idea what freedoms we have already given up.

Thank a liberal, for the heavy hand of gov't.
It will get much worse, before it gets better.

The gov't and liberals are no friend to We the People.
You can color me resentful.