Old 01-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have been a member for a number of years. There are others on this forum I know who are also members. There are a number of benefits to membership. OOIDA is about the only voice we have as drivers or owner operators. It isn't a union, but does keep us informed to pending legislation which can affect us and lobbies on issues important to us. There are over 159,000 members. It is a small number when you look at how many CDL holders there are in the country. They are a good resource. There is usually someone who can answer a question you may pose about trucking. There are some who feel that they are primarily interested in owner operators or those having their own authority. That really isn't the case. They offer insurance, fuel cards, load board, rebates from various truck manufacturers, financing, etc., The more they grow the more benefits they can offer. They also have a forum for members to exchange ideas. The main difference between the OOIDA forum and CAD is that most who participate on their forum are already in the business. It is rare to have anyone post who isn't already in trucking, however there are some in related industries who belong to the association. OOIDA is a professional association. Membership is $45/year, but they have discounts at some times during the year. Right now you can renew your membership for $25/year. I think you could probably join for the same rate. I think it is a small price to pay to have a voice in our government. I don't always agree with everything they do, but it is difficult to get 3 truck drivers to agree on anything, much less 159,000. Over all, I think they do a good job of representing drivers and owner operators in issues important to us. I expect to continue my membership in the foreseeable future.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah! What he said! 8)
Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
They offer insurance, fuel cards, load board, rebates from various truck manufacturers, financing
Which they make money off of(no problem) But if you are leased to a carrier and they offer the same services and make money off these services they are screwing the O/O's.

OOIDAs main business is filing class action lawsuits, sometimes netting drivers a few dollars while making millions for their attorneys.

If they wanted to do something useful they would be working to make brokers walk the same line they expect companies leasing O/O,s to walk.

How about brokers disclosing their fee's, double and triple brokering within the same company? They would rather sue a big name carrier, get a big settlement to make ever one feel good, give the drivers a few bucks and keep the rest.

The few dollars they worry about carriers stealing from drivers is nothing comparied to what brokers are taking with no one controling them.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Board Regular

I have been getting a call from a service that offers to handle the random drug test aspect of the business. I wonder if the service offered thru OOIDA is complete ( IOW, everything I need with no additional cost) . They advertise a fee of 100.00 for members , so I would be paying 145.00 yearly ( 45.00 to join OOIDA) which I know will also include some other benefits .
This other company says for a fee of 65.00 they will handle the pre-employment test and for 148.00 they handle the random test. After the first year that goes down to 89.00 per year. Supposedly everything I will need will be taken care of . I understand that OOIDA will file BOC-3
for free. I have already done this but will it be a yearly thing or one time thing thru OOIDA?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Board Regular

I Ment to say it cost 25.00 to Join OOIDA ( GMAN is correct as usual)
Been trying to contact OOIDA to ask questions, will keep trying !
Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
I have been getting a call from a service that offers to handle the random drug test aspect of the business. I wonder if the service offered thru OOIDA is complete ( IOW, everything I need with no additional cost) . They advertise a fee of 100.00 for members , so I would be paying 145.00 yearly ( 45.00 to join OOIDA) which I know will also include some other benefits .
This other company says for a fee of 65.00 they will handle the pre-employment test and for 148.00 they handle the random test. After the first year that goes down to 89.00 per year. Supposedly everything I will need will be taken care of . I understand that OOIDA will file BOC-3
for free. I have already done this but will it be a yearly thing or one time thing thru OOIDA?

You mean 125.00 :lol: I think it is only an additional 10.00 for a random but I could be wrong. One thing I like about OOIDA's services is that they get and file your permits with very little hassle,such as NM,NY,OR,and KY.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Board Regular

DD60 wrote:
"You mean 125.00 I think it is only an additional 10.00 for a random but I could be wrong. One thing I like about OOIDA's services is that they get and file your permits with very little hassle,such as NM,NY,OR,and KY."

So you think that they will help with KY? I know here in KY I have to do an application and mail it in when I get my authority approved, then I have to go to Frankfurt and supposedly do everything that is left on the list in one trip. I don't know how long it will take for the KY app to get processed but if they can help in that it would be worth the membership
fee alone. My plans as of now are to join but I want to talk to a person
not apply on the net. I will keep calling . Thanks

BD , generally I agree, I pretty much dislike associations but with the
hope of getting a few things to go a bit smoother and getting the random
drug thing for 125.00 a year , I suppose I can give it a try, nothing to lose :wink:
Old 01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
DD60 wrote:
"You mean 125.00 I think it is only an additional 10.00 for a random but I could be wrong. One thing I like about OOIDA's services is that they get and file your permits with very little hassle,such as NM,NY,OR,and KY."

So you think that they will help with KY? I know here in KY I have to do an application and mail it in when I get my authority approved, then I have to go to Frankfurt and supposedly do everything that is left on the list in one trip. I don't know how long it will take for the KY app to get processed but if they can help in that it would be worth the membership
fee alone. My plans as of now are to join but I want to talk to a person
not apply on the net. I will keep calling . Thanks

BD , generally I agree, I pretty much dislike associations but with the
hope of getting a few things to go a bit smoother and getting the random
drug thing for 125.00 a year , I suppose I can give it a try, nothing to lose :wink:

OOIDA will file your KY permit right over the phone and it will automatically go active when your authority goes active.