User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default This truck???

Im looking about buying a truck and i found this one.Except for a mill + miles its set up like i think would make a good multi purpose truck. Odds are ill hire out to a road const company i know, or in the oil fields so full lockers 550 hp and an 18 speed i concider a plus for these areas of opperation. As far as over the road im a little inexpierenced as to that but im thinking it would do fine. Im at a loss to the emodel 3406e 550 cat being a good engine or not ?

Negatives are:

3:42 ratio and 38,000 rears and hi mileage and may be a little high on price side.

Positives are are:

400 ag suspension 200,000 miles on new engine, transmission/clutch, and front rear-end. Has full locking rear-ends. 6" straight pipes. Well taken care of truck! ????

What do you guys think about this truck and esp about the 3406E engine?
Thanks for any Help

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...7379a4c7125b69
Old 01-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: This truck???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hellandback
What year is that engine? My was 1994, I've heard :roll: some people say, it was a bad year, but didn't have much problems with it. It's CAT! :P 8)
Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Senior Board Member

why do you consider 3.42 rears bad? my w900l had 3.55s bot much different and it turned 1500 at 70 mph. I also had an emodel 475 that had been turned up, bigger turbo/injectors on it and it was a very reliable good running truck. the cat motors have a broader power band so you can run it at lower rpm and it does not struggle. I have a bridge motor cat in my 379 now and everyone rags on them but its a very strong pulling truck but doesn't do much better than 5 mpg

Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I own two 3406E's. If you take care of them and do your maintenance you should get some good service out of it.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

For off-road work a 3.42 seems a little high, but that's not my territory so I don't know for sure. I'd double-check that AG400. It wasn't even offered that early and I can't imagine someone would spec that and pair it with 38,000 lb. axles. If the info is correct, they must have upgraded in the not-too-distant past. Personally, I think you can do better for the money. If you're truly looking at doing off-road work, you might want heavier axles, both front and rear. That truck is basically a highway tractor. But others here are more versed in that area than I am.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW
why do you consider 3.42 rears bad? my w900l had 3.55s bot much different and it turned 1500 at 70 mph. I also had an emodel 475 that had been turned up, bigger turbo/injectors on it and it was a very reliable good running truck. the cat motors have a broader power band so you can run it at lower rpm and it does not struggle. I have a bridge motor cat in my 379 now and everyone rags on them but its a very strong pulling truck but doesn't do much better than 5 mpg
I just felt my low gear would be to hi for laying asphalt and climbing real steep short dirt and gravel dugways in the oil fields plus on guy said the t600 frame is to light for off road use.ive been told 3:70to3:90 is more in line
Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you are doing a lot of off road or steep pulling with heavy loads, then lower gears would be helpful. For over the road, it is better to go with the higher gears. By the way, one of the trucks that has the 3406E is a T600 with a 72" Aerodyne sleeper, super 10 and full fairings. I don't remember the gearing.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Default Re: This truck???

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hellandback
What year is that engine? My was 1994, I've heard :roll: some people say, it was a bad year, but didn't have much problems with it. It's CAT! :P 8)
Well the truck is a 98 so i figure the engine about the same year and i thought the ag400 was out in 98 but not sure????
Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Rookie

i like everything about it except for the rear end ratio ... it's a little high for off road applications that you might encounter daily with construction or oilfield service. i think the 3.70 / 3.90 ranges offer a lot better startability in those kind of conditions without completely killing you on the highway. a lot of oilfield trucks have 4.11 / 4.33 ... just makes it that much easier to get that load going in the mud, snow, etc without slipping the clutch, putting the driveline in a bind, potentially causing a lot of damage and nasty on-site repairs.

i love me some caterpillars. they burn fuel like the dickens if you dont drive 'em right, but they last forever. i'd get an oil analysis on it no matter how recent rebuild. good luck.