User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 04:18 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How much would you charge?

This question pertains to O/Os or those with a good idea of how to get this done.

My father wants to transport a boat from Seattle, WA to San Diego and is interested in exploring how much this will cost. He's thinking a flatbed.

The boat is 12ft wide, 39ft long and weighs appx 15.5K.

What would be the best way to transport? What is the best process to hire on an O/O or other company to do this? How do you ensure the driver or company has their "affairs" (insurance, etc) in order?

Only serious responses please. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I can't give you a price but that is an over sized load because of it's width. It will also require someone experienced in securing the boat to the trailer. How high is the boat? A flat bed is about 5' tall with a normal max of 13'6". You may need a step step deck instead.

I'm sure many people will chime in here with outrageous rates but I'm sure $2.50 per mile will get you many drivers willing to take the load. If it requires permits that will raise the total amount also.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Board Regular

Just stick her in the water and head south! :wink:
Old 01-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are trailers specifically designed to haul boats. Depending on the height, a flat could work, but most likely it would require a step deck. With that length you will need a 53' step because of the length. I have a 42' bottom deck on my 53' step deck. I usually get at least $3/mile for my step deck doing over sized, plus permits. Boat haulers can charge $4/mile or more, but have most of the special blocking you need to safely haul boats. You may find someone who will do it for less. If the boat is more than 8'6" then it will not work on most flat beds. My step deck will legally haul anything up to 10' tall. If it is more than 10' tall then you will need either a low boy or boat trailer to move the boat. Most states will not allow more than 13'6" tall, some of the Western states will allow you up to 14' tall. Of course, you can usually permit for higher loads.

If you go with a carrier you need to check their motor carrier authority and insurance. If you have their motor carrier number it is easy to go to the federal website to check the status. You can have their insurance company send you a certificate of insurance. There are companies who specialize in hauling boats, but I can't think of any of them right now.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
There are trailers specifically designed to haul boats. Depending on the height, a flat could work, but most likely it would require a step deck. With that length you will need a 53' step because of the length. I have a 42' bottom deck on my 53' step deck. I usually get at least $3/mile for my step deck doing over sized, plus permits. Boat haulers can charge $4/mile or more, but have most of the special blocking you need to safely haul boats. You may find someone who will do it for less. If the boat is more than 8'6" then it will not work on most flat beds. My step deck will legally haul anything up to 10' tall. If it is more than 10' tall then you will need either a low boy or boat trailer to move the boat. Most states will not allow more than 13'6" tall, some of the Western states will allow you up to 14' tall. Of course, you can usually permit for higher loads.

If you go with a carrier you need to check their motor carrier authority and insurance. If you have their motor carrier number it is easy to go to the federal website to check the status. You can have their insurance company send you a certificate of insurance. There are companies who specialize in hauling boats, but I can't think of any of them right now.
Perhaps a double drop with outriggers. Would sure lower it down more. I'll tell you what, I will do it for $1,000,000 or I can do it for $250,000 and you buy the fuel.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I wasn't soliciting the load. I don't have a step deck in the area. I was only stating the minimum that I would charge for such a move. I doubt that you would need outriggers with a boat, but a double drop or RGN might be needed, depending on the height. There are always those who will haul for less. It depends on how many pieces you want it in when it arrives. :wink:
Old 01-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Senior Board Member

No one in their right mind would offer to put a boat of any value on a step-deck, if you can afford the boat you can afford to move it the right way, at least it would seem that way.

Try these people

http://www.jouleyacht.com/index.php
Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have seen some high value boats being moved on a step deck. However, it depends on the type of boat and how it is designed. I would say that it would be best to find someone who has a regular boat trailer to haul most larger boats because they have the setup to do it right.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 AM

Thanks to all who responded with serious, GOOD information - especially GMAN, SteveBooth, and Jumbo (one post anyway :lol: ) ...

For those of you who don't know (Darin Younce :roll: ), boats get even lousier mpg than tractor trailers and the diesel costs even more. You can relate that things cost more for t/ts - it gets even crazier when the part or service is for a boat!

My dad has a 48ft Navigator here in San Diego and the boat in question in Seattle is something he's looking into as a little investment. I will pass on all the good information that I got from you guys - I knew I would - including the suggestion to look into specific boat transporters.

Keep 'em turning safely...
Old 01-06-2008, 02:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I can't give you a price but that is an over sized load because of it's width. It will also require someone experienced in securing the boat to the trailer. How high is the boat? A flat bed is about 5' tall with a normal max of 13'6". You may need a step step deck instead.

I'm sure many people will chime in here with outrageous rates.

Heck, I will do it for $1.70 per mile and that includes O/S permits and pilot car ( if needed )

Hope this helps.
Don't haul cheap freight !!!!

:shock: