User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Steve needs to start his own blog, I look forward to reading about his adventures on the road. I guess the haters have finally gotten thier wish.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

The author did NOT ask for the lock down as far as I know.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Hi everybody,my first post here,chronic lurker as a guest,reading most of what is posted on the forum and the Steve Boothe saga. Had to register to say I hope Steve continues documenting his adventures on the forum,this stuff gets addictive after you follow along for awhile. coalman
Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 AM

Tootie, this is what I based my assumption on. Calling for a "changing of the guard" may have solicited the firm response from the mod, hence the lockdown.

SteveBooth

Super Trucker

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 pm Post subject:

It wasn't the shipper. I'm assuming it was the shop supervisor. The shipper was a nice guy.

The shipper didn't say no either and I didn't write what Rev said I wrote. You need to watch out for him, he makes up stories to look like I wrote it.

Another week at home without any work Rev? Bored? Good thing you live at home with your mommy or you would be living in your truck right now. Or, at least until you have to sell that and drive for Swift. I think it pisses you off to no end that your not doing so good and it must make you feel better that I'm doing OK.

So many things have happened to me that I won't post but other people would find it interesting. We have 7 moderators of which most never log in at all and those that do, well, they do nothing to moderate. Time for a change of the guard.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Senior Board Member

I just think it is sad that supposed adults have to act like kids....wait a min. kids get along better most of the time!! 8) 8)

You know, like when we were kids and you fight with the neighbor kids and then the parents get to fighting and while the parents are busy fighting the kids are out playing again...

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 AM
BANNED

I also cast my caucus vote for resuming the thread !!!

Even though some or many may not like my honest, straightforward rebuttal to Steve's experiences, hopefully some will be able to read between the lines and glean something from it.

I would bet that Steve actually enjoys being challenged and called on the mistakes he makes. How else does one learn ????

I also agree that the ones who whined to management, step and be a man/lady to admit it.

It's the internet !!!! The make believe world !!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:39 AM

The best talk shows on the air usually have an opposing point of view. Makes for good balance. Otherwise life is pretty boring, and one-sided. Not that Steve should volunteer his personal life and business venture blog to anyone for yours and my entertainment, but if you are going to type on a message board, you should be ready for anything and anyone questioning you along the way.

And if your detractors are full of bullsmoke, point it out, prove you are right, hit the ignor button, and move on. But I would not tell the moderators they are derilict in their duty when someone turns up the steam on you.

Safe travels, better get some sleep
Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 AM
Board Regular

I have enjoyed reading about Steve's journey,seem by the post on this thread others have as well. I looked back on a few threads that Steve started or was active on and his post seem honest and sincere. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with this. I think the hecklers and administrators as well should review the the rules pertaining to this forum.

Forum rules;
2. Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning.

Reasonable questions or corrections are entirely acceptable on most forums but this constant barrage of nitpicking every post made by Steve is childish to say the least.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:00 AM

It's not my call, but I would like to see it unlocked. I would rather read than post. Sniping just uses up bandwidth. Oh well.................
Old 01-03-2008, 05:46 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Wow. :shock:

I do believe I will take the gloves off for this one, seeing as everyone claims to be an adult. Therefore, an adult response should be warranted, eh?

Quote:
By far the only reason I visit here. Sad how often overzealous moderators destroy forums unwittingly.
LOL! Now that's a good one. Overzealous mods?!? On this board?!? You, of the TWO posts, are certain of that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should compare the moderating on this board to the moderating on some of the other major boards. Overzealous is not something we even come close to. We are laid back and try to treat the members as adults. That has been the philosophy of this board ever since Jeff started it and we've adherred to it as much as possible without letting the board go under.

I'll clarify, too, that some of you need to grow a thicker skin. I field ongoing PM's and e-mails from people that think that someone disagreeing with them equates to insults. News flash...it does not. Disagreeing with you, even sharp disagreements, does not constitute an insult. But constantly throwing personal attacks and insults at individual posters and poster's families, DOES constitute an insult and is a violation of the T.O.S. We know that biting commentary is going to happen at times, but as mods, it is our hope that those insults don't get out of hand. Usually they don't. There are times, though, when it gets to be too much and we either step in or field a PM from someone to step in and end it, which we do.

Quote:
So many things have happened to me that I won't post but other people would find it interesting. We have 7 moderators of which most never log in at all and those that do, well, they do nothing to moderate. Time for a change of the guard.
And this is about as rich as it gets. This from a guy that has loads of business sense, but doesn't seem to grasp the fact that sharing his hobby trucker exploits will invite criticizing comments along with the praise he seeks.

:roll:

Just to clue you in...this board does not revolve around you. You happen to be the flavor of the month, but your participation or lack thereof is not what fires the boilers that run this thing. Whether you stay or leave will mean nothing to the long-term existence of the board. It existed a long time before you showed up and you leaving will contribute nothing to its demise.

Sure, your hobby trucker experience garners interest. Even I have perused some of the things that you have gone through because I found the reading to be interesting. Where you fall short, though, is in letting people that disagree with you get under your skin. Instead of ignoring them, as you should, or rebutting them professionally, you 'fight' back, trying to one-up your detractors. When that happens, interest wanes and the whole thing degenerates into a mud slinging campaign. What's this...three threads of yours now that have been locked down? I would think someone with the business savy that you have, would recognize the pattern and move to fix it.

For your information, the issue that a lot of these guys have with you is the hobby trucker mentality that you display. What works for you, works for you because of your financial setup and business sense. It won't work for the majority of the would-be owner operators out there and you have been called on it many times and rightfully so. Why you seem to think that's a personal attack on you and warrants nasty responses, I still don't know.

You need to realize that half the problem with this industry is guys getting into it with stars in their eyes and dreams of huge dollars, their own fast shiny truck, and being knights on the highway. It simply does not work that way. Sure, lightning strikes now and then and someone enjoys good success like you have, but overall it's a hard, tough occupation with lots of hours, lots of hard work, and an extremely large washout rate.

You can continue to post your exploits and that is all find and dandy, but expect to have people like Rev and BD and others call you on it and present the other side of the coin. When that happens, you can either rebute them professionally or ignore it. Their input into your threads are just as relevant to your own.

:roll:

Now, with all that said, let me put this as succinctly as possible and see if everyone else can understand this.

This board is free for you. It is in place, paid for out of Jeff's (CAD) pocket. There are just a few of us that moderate it. Some of those names you see on the moderating list are owners and tech people that rely on us to keep things running smoothly. We do it and we also do it for free. This board EXISTS today because those few of us that moderate it have stated in the past that the board should remain open and running. The discussion to have it shut down has happened several times in the past. It's still here. It's here because we have lobbied for it to remain. Yet, you have absolutey ZERO idea what it takes for those few of us to keep things running smoothly.

I've been moderating this board for a number of years now and I've found that for the most part, the majority of the posters here are and can be decent. There are some, though, that skate the thin ice quite often and because we assume that there are adults behind the log-in ID's, we tend to let some things slide, hoping that an 'adult' can see fit to steer a conversation back in the right direction. In the past, that has worked more times than not. Minor tiffs happen and usually get worked out with maybe a warning here or there. Sometimes, it does not work and a thread gets locked down.

Regarding the thread in question, it was locked because it had moved beyond the minor tiffs and into personal insults that are a violation of the T.O.S. and it will NOT be reopened. Some of those insults have been removed, too, leading to your questions on WHY. Suffice it to say that I went through a few of them, found merit in the complaints, and locked down the thread.

In the end, it has nothing to do with haters. It has to do with some people that cannot move beyond third grade insults and feel they need to be king of the playground. That doesn't come from the moderating end...that comes from the posters end. The FIX sounds pretty simple to me.