User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default single axle day cab

I have a friend that has one to pull his horse trailer. He was wondering how much available freight is there that he could pull for extra money? Being a single axle it would be limited on weight. It can be van or flat. Any thoughts?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Board Member

i see some car haulers using a single axle truck. i think it was pulling a 5 car trailer or something close to that. Ive seen some single axle trucks in Cali doubling doubles with a load of hay or straw on them...
Old 12-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Board Regular

I am a newbie but will throw this out there. I have on occasion been to heavy equipment auctions , Ritchie Bros, Anderson Auction and Kissimmee Auction . I have seen single axel trucks with flatbed or lowboy trailers hauling all sorts of stuff, not necessarly heavy , yet ,tractors, lawn mowers, small track hoes trenchers, skid steers and on and on . Some of the buyers get pretty desperate to get their new toy home and are not as picky with whom they get to haul it so someone starting out might get some pretty good loads . As I recall the haulers would walk around and hand out cards , they all seemed to be really busy during and after the auction. I may even go to some auctions like these and scrounge around for some loads as well . I just bought a 4 car rollback and am in the process of getting my own authority .
Old 12-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

He could pull a hay wagon if he has a set of doubles. That would also enable him to pull other types of flat bed freight. Other than something like that he is more limited to what we call hot shot freight. He could get a step deck or flat bed and pull light loads or perhaps a wedge trailer for cars. Having a single axle will limit his options, but some of the hot shot freight pays better than some of the heavier freight.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll pass them along. He was leaning towards flat bed so he'll be glad to hear that's an option.