User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Muslims have been have been fighting over there forever. Christian wars, etc... Oil is their leverage right now. I agree, if no oil, they'd find somthing else.

Still, besides political reasons, fuel efficiency would be beter for the environment and the polar ice caps 8)
Well that couldn't work for me, I don't belive in "Global Warming".
Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 PM

I understand what GMAN and others are saying regarding the market dictating the changes rather than the government, but I have to side with added regulations. I'm sure like the HOS rules the "how" will be argued to infinity.

Our industry is very competitive, and has very small profit margins. Even if an "improved" truck were made available I doubt the impact it would have. Fleets will be replaced as is cost effective, and not before then. The new benefits will be phased in over a period of time (example...07 engines). APU's have been around for years, and have always offered a profitable alternative to idling with the main difference being the rate of return. The only reason they are being adopted lately is because of the high price of fuel. I make this point to illustrate that if the government had mandated their use years ago we would already be benefiting from improved fuel efficiency without having to wait for the market to help make this change.

BanditsCousin, et al--Depending on when people want to define the beginning of Islam there have only been Muslims for 1,397 years which is hardly forever. By "over there".......do you mean in Michigan? Or maybe you meant throughout the US, Canada, Indonesia, China, Africa, Europe, etc? Timothy McVeigh blew up a building, and Kahane's followers tried to blow up a girl’s school all without the help of oil financing or converting to Islam. And as far as people fighting I dare you to find a nation in modern times to have done so more than the US.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quantitative, the US may have done more, but they have been fighting over Israel for a time longer than the birt of this nation. We're infidels to them.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack2
I don't belive in "Global Warming".
You will find that Merrick agrees 100% with that!!! lol
Old 12-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Quote:
You think if oil goes away all the bad guys will too? Nope, they'll still be here and they'll still make money off something else to fund terrorism.
Oil IS their #1 terrorist SOURCE at this point. -Yep, they'll FOREVER keep looking for other sources if WE pull the oil rug. This is a FOREVER problem we'll have with this islamic terrorists, -pulling rugs from under them stinking feet!

Quote:
It's not just oil money that funds these terror groups.
Opium from Afgan: supply diminishing, THX to Bush.

Quote:
Second point on this statement is if you keep giving the government more power, they'll eventually come after something you enjoy.
Yep, you got ONE right. Gov STOPPING smokers from smoking IN OUR FACE! WE NEEDED T-H-A-T !!

Quote:
It's easy to say to tax or ban something you don't enjoy, but one day it might be something you like, then what?
If you're a smoker, YES this has affected YOU (for the BEST of US NON-smokers!).

ANY other areas that this (higher taxes) has affected YOU, -anyone else?

Quote:
Less government, not more.
This is on a case-by-case basis, -OBVIOUSLY!

God Bless ALL & happy holidays!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Is this an owner operator thread? I swear I see company drivers in fuel-hogs too? I dunno, seems like "Everything Truck Driver Related".
Old 12-21-2007, 07:22 AM

If you notice the advertising from Central Refrigerated has reflected the change in fuel prices. They used to advertise heavily on the enjoyment of driving straight nose trucks. Now their advertisements show aerodynamic Volvo's, and other more fuel efficient vehicles. The companies are changing as well.

I am currently working in the largest Muslim nation in the world, and it is not "over there." Despite some of the poorest people living in tin shacks subject to flooding, and without running water they are cleaner than many of our fellow drivers who have access to showers at truck stops. The level of bigotry, racism, ignorance, or stupidity shown by a few of our profession reflects poorly upon the rest of us. I look forward to driving again in a month despite this.

Sorry, and this will be my last comment on this subject. All future posts will be solely on topic. See you all on the road soon.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Quote:
If you notice the advertising from Central Refrigerated has reflected the change in fuel prices. They used to advertise heavily on the enjoyment of driving straight nose trucks. Now their advertisements show aerodynamic Volvo's, and other more fuel efficient vehicles. The companies are changing as well.
I believe this is a good (the best?) way to test the intelligence of motor carriers and O-Os, -their willingness to stop playing with big toys in a cut-throught industry with reality breathing heavily down their neck.

Merry Christmas all!