User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I-80 Tolling Gunned down

I live in Central PA, and just heard last night on the news that the deal has fell through. They are now moving forward with leasing out of the PA pike, which explaines why they are re-building all the service plazas, major interchanges, ie New Stanton, cutting the mountain in Somerset, etc
Old 12-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad to hear that I-80 will not be tolled. I find it interesting that Pennsylvania is spending so much money to upgrade the old toll road only to lease it out to a foreign entity. I wonder how much money these politicians are getting under the table for this little anti American venture. I think any of these politicians who sell our infrastructure to a foreign entity are guilty of treason and should be thrown out of office and prosecuted. They mismanage public funds and then try to cover up their folly by selling off the infrastructure. I read an article about the Pennsylvania toll money. They are using the funds for things other than repair and building of roads. They are using fuel taxes for things other than building and maintaining roadways. It is a blatant misuse of public funds. In the private sector we would consider it fraud. You collect money for one purpose but use it for something else. Pennsylvania is not alone in their mismanagement of public funds. There are many others. When these states start talking about putting in toll roads or tolling existing roadways you can bet something has happened to the funds they have already collected and they are trying to cover it up. According to a study that was done not long ago, approximately 30% of collected fuel taxes are spent for things other than road building and maintenance. And as a footnote, it is my understanding that most of these so called toll road leases have a guaranteed profit built into them so that the lessee is guaranteed to make a minimum profit and some states are moving forward with plans to restrict traffic, especially trucks, to force them onto these toll roads. Perhaps when some of these politicians start talking about adding toll roads or leasing out our infrastructure we should start talking about recalling their election.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:34 AM

And these are the exact things that revolutions are based upon. Lying elected officials, who we elect to work for us, and steal our money to pay for programs we not only dont want, but dont need.

In California our fearless Governor Arnold is calling an emergency fiscal meeting monday the 17th to address the possible 14 Billion dollar state budget shortfall. And get this........they are un-decided as to whether they will cut spending.......or raise taxes!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!...We are facing a crisis because we are facing recession, and a tax increase is an option? Insanity.

Revolutions are becoming a more logical solution day by day.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Things were great in California until the mid 70's when they got the idea of increasing property taxes at an unbelievable rate. Since then, they haven't met a tax they didn't like. For those who are imposing these taxes it doesn't matter. When they want more money they just tap the public tax system. Need more money, raise taxes. They don't seem to understand that what they really need to do is reduce the size of government. :shock:
Old 12-16-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Need more money, raise taxes. They don't seem to understand that what they really need to do is reduce the size of government. :shock:
Amen, nor do they realize that being anti-industry is not helping the required revenue & tax dollars that must support this Gorilla size government they have created.

I guarantee you they could learn a few things about efficiency from truckers. :wink:
Old 12-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Board Regular

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:
Things were great in California until the mid 70's when they got the idea of increasing property taxes at an unbelievable rate.
Quote:
Proposition 13, officially titled the "People's Initiative to Limit Property Taxation," was a ballot initiative to amend the constitution of the state of California. The initiative was enacted by the voters of California on June 6, 1978. It would eventually be upheld as constitutional by the United States Supreme Court in the case of Nordlinger v. Hahn, 505 U.S. 1 (1992). Proposition 13 is embodied in Article 13A of the California Constitution.

The most significant portion of the act is the first paragraph, which capped real estate taxes:

“ SECTION 1. (a) The maximum amount of any ad valorem tax on real property shall not exceed One percent (1%) of the full cash value of such property. The one percent (1%) tax to be collected by the counties and apportioned according to law to the districts within the counties.
The Howard-Jarvis tax initiative was the best thing that ever happened to CA. It can be circumvented somewhat by county things that they add to your tax bill via voters consent. That's small potatoes compared to where things may have gone w/out this proposition being passed.
I would like to add that the property tax of 1% STAYS at the purchase price, regardless if your property has gone up in value since it was bought. The tax for that property doesn't go up until it changes hands. (Or maybe gets re-appraised for another mortgage by the same owner. I don't remember about that second mortgage part.)
Old 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM

CA will have to continue raising taxes to pay all the state, county and local workers retiring and moving to nearby states with lower or no taxes. Not to mention teachers. 80% of your pay for the rest of your life for doing your job is one sweet deal. Not to mention almost free medical on top of that. Did the public have any say in the creation of the retirement plans by and for these public employees? Not much I'll wager.

Once taxes, doesn't matter from where, hit the politicians' coffers, they consider them to be in their personal "wallets", to be spent as they and their lobbyists see fit. imo.......
Old 12-16-2007, 03:53 PM

It used to be the government jobs were a place to go earn a humble wage, but in return have total job security. Now it is job security of the highest order plus retirement packages of the highest order.

And when business cannot compete with them, they go overseas and set up shop, and get barbequed by the press / liberals for doing that.

It's actually great comedy :lol: