User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

A good rule of thumb I use in business is under estimate earnings and over estimate expenses. I always hope to be surprised on both ends. If not, then I have prepared myself for the worst. I find when new people start out in business they over estimate earnings and under estimate expenses. Those who prepare are likely to succeed. Those who don't are destined to fail..

your sooo correct g-man.. i learned one day (17 years ago)while estimating what it would cost to fix my kitchen floor. after surveying what appeared to be slight damage to the floor joists i concluded that a couple days & a couple hundred dollars would do it.. 4 weeks & two thousand dollars later, it was done. that set my mind in motion to the exact rule of thumb your refering to..... it is nice to learn lessons early. :lol:
Old 12-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I started as an o/o at 22 and did fine ina specialty niche. In freight, I probably never would have survived. Times are tough for everyone now. Car haulers seem to be a little busier this time of year, but freight, and even hhg are down. The economy needs its diaper changed.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 PM

Southern CA construction is stone dead right now,check the truck trader its full of dumps. It will pick up but I think it will be well into 09 maybe even 2010 before we are working steady again. One good thing is San Diego hourly rates have always been higher than every where else in CA so you are in the right area. My advice,being in construction trucking for 15 years now is to look for your own setup be it and end dump, truck & pup, transfer what ever, pulling someones trailer (end dump) blows they usually want 20% plus 5-7% brokerage and your not going to be able to hold on to much profit that way. Having said that when it's busy and if you get out every day you can gross $100-150k with a 5 axle @ $95 hr. The last and most important point I will make about owning your own truck in CA

http://www.cdtoa.org/pdf_gov/CTN_09TruckSurvey.pdf

We are facing some tough smog regulation in the near future so take that into consideration before you buy a 1998 or older truck.