User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default just need to vent

Wow, I didn't mean to get everyone in an uproar. First, let me say that for those of you that don't have sympathy for me, I didn't ask for it and I think that it's pretty cold that when someone is down on their luck you remind them of the not so great choices they made. We know we screwed up, I get that. I said that we should sell the truck but let me tell you what that does to someone that has been driving for 20+ years. The guys dream has always been to do this, he loves being out there on the road, he feels like a complete failure. It's hard to sell the truck when you need to make the money that you are accustomed to and have the bills to back that up. How do you go from making the money that we make to $15.00/hour. It's hard. He did that and we were still drowning. I don't do anything with our money but pay the bills that need to be paid, that's it! YES, I know, bad decisions, but it wasn't always this bad. We were doing great for a long time but things would happen to the companies he was working for or what have you. It wasn't always repairs. I can't possibly explain to you all 20 years of driving, all I tried to do was get support and suggestions and from all that I read, yes, he should probably sell the truck and that's what he's probably going to do. Some of you really know how to kick someone when their down though, I must say. It's Christmas and it's the first time in my life that my kids will now suffer because of all of this and that's what is killing me as their mother.

Thanks to all of you that gave kind words and emails.
Shari
Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Wow, I didn't mean to get everyone in an uproar.
No one is in an uproar.

Quote:
First, let me say that for those of you that don't have sympathy for me, I didn't ask for it and I think that it's pretty cold that when someone is down on their luck you remind them of the not so great choices they made.
I'm not sure you're getting the gist of what some of us were trying to say. It's not that buying the truck wasn't a great choice. Perhaps at the time, it was a great choice. But now, it's not so great a choice.

As far as the sympathy side goes, I do have sympathy for you, being stuck in the middle. Where my sympathy is lacking is with the driver. He's got to be smart enough to get out from under something that will kill him. He knows this, he has to. If he doesn't know this or won't accept it, then why should I feel sorry for him. Cold? No. It's just unvarnished.

Quote:
I said that we should sell the truck but let me tell you what that does to someone that has been driving for 20+ years. The guys dream has always been to do this, he loves being out there on the road, he feels like a complete failure.
See, this is where I get a little miffed at people. He's not in this alone. He has a wife and children. Seems to me the answer is simple. The truck is no longer a means to making a good living...it has become a liability and a serious one at that. He needs to swallow the pride, unload the truck, and get on with a carrier as a company driver. It doesn't make him a failure...it shows him making a smart business decision. He's got the experience...if he has a good record, he should have no problems landing a good paying company job, that will, in all liklihood, net him MORE money than he could make as an O/O.

Quote:
It's hard to sell the truck when you need to make the money that you are accustomed to and have the bills to back that up. How do you go from making the money that we make to $15.00/hour. It's hard.
With all due respect, if the truck is in the shop to the tune of $3000 and he can't pay the bill, he's not making money. Making $120,000 a year as an O/O when $100,000 of that is going to operating and maintenance costs, is not making money, no matter how you spin it. You can do that and better flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Quote:
(snip)....all I tried to do was get support and suggestions and from all that I read, yes, he should probably sell the truck and that's what he's probably going to do.
That's what the majority are suggesting. Sounds like a good suggestion. Do it, be done with it, and move on. No use crying over spilt milk, me pappy used to say.

Quote:
Some of you really know how to kick someone when their down though, I must say.
Oh come on. No one is kicking you when you're down...we're just not sugar-coating the truth. You're hearing things that you know to be true, but probably don't want them to be true. Sell the truck, sell the truck, sell the truck! That should be your mantra right now. Get rid of the stone around your neck, suck it up and swim to shore. Sure, it won't be easy, but it's better than going under and not coming back to the surface.

Quote:
It's Christmas and it's the first time in my life that my kids will now suffer because of all of this and that's what is killing me as their mother.
There are always alternatives.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: just need to vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbear36
Wow, I didn't mean to get everyone in an uproar. First, let me say that for those of you that don't have sympathy for me, I didn't ask for it and I think that it's pretty cold that when someone is down on their luck you remind them of the not so great choices they made. We know we screwed up, I get that. I said that we should sell the truck but let me tell you what that does to someone that has been driving for 20+ years. The guys dream has always been to do this, he loves being out there on the road, he feels like a complete failure. It's hard to sell the truck when you need to make the money that you are accustomed to and have the bills to back that up. How do you go from making the money that we make to $15.00/hour. It's hard. He did that and we were still drowning. I don't do anything with our money but pay the bills that need to be paid, that's it! YES, I know, bad decisions, but it wasn't always this bad. We were doing great for a long time but things would happen to the companies he was working for or what have you. It wasn't always repairs. I can't possibly explain to you all 20 years of driving, all I tried to do was get support and suggestions and from all that I read, yes, he should probably sell the truck and that's what he's probably going to do. Some of you really know how to kick someone when their down though, I must say. It's Christmas and it's the first time in my life that my kids will now suffer because of all of this and that's what is killing me as their mother.

Thanks to all of you that gave kind words and emails.
Shari

Hopefully, if he has been doing this for many years the truck is paid for and if it is sold you should have money left to take care of things at home. If not, at least you can get rid of the truck and not have the debt. Just because you give the truck up today doesn't mean that you can't do it again later. The most important thing to do now is generate income. If your only means of income is in the shop and you cannot afford to get it out, then it is time for a new direction. Driving a truck for a company or owner operator doesn't need to be a negative thing. It can be positive. I am curious as to how long he had the truck and was on his own before this happened? In any case, good luck. Let us know what happens and what you decide to do.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member

How about he gets a co driver job and pays the bill on the truck. park the truck an in a few months go back to being an o/o?

Its hard to see thr writing on the wall when a company is going afoul. However, a decrease in revenue is an indicator to start shopping for a new carrier. Liek I said, if the house is ready to be foreclosed and the radiator is 3K, there is more to the story than being told.

Nobody is trying to kick you while you're down, although you interperet it that way. Theres options, but they won't fall in your lap. Some of those options have been listed above in this post and others.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Board Regular

Sorry to hear about your hard times. I said a prayer for you. The best thing to do is get rid of the truck take the loss and start as a company driver. Catch up on your bills and stay strong.

http://www.trukz.com
Old 12-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Rookie
Default Back to OP story

Christmas is in the heart, Sharbear, so there you all are, a Healthy and Loving family. Hubby has been driving for 20+ years, and he's still in one piece. PTL!

It may be news to some people, but a LOT of people are having their mortgages foreclosed, if money is tight and those credit card payments are sneaking ever higher.

A man is not a failure if he's trying to drive through a brick and concrete wall, laced with rebar. That's what the trucking business has become.

BUT, it should be your husband trying to call the company that was recommended, not you. Take a deep breath, step back, trust him, and trust God. IT WILL WORK OUT.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Quote:
Christmas is in the heart, Sharbear, so there you all are, a Healthy and Loving family. Hubby has been driving for 20+ years, and he's still in one piece. PTL!

It may be news to some people, but a LOT of people are having their mortgages foreclosed, if money is tight and those credit card payments are sneaking ever higher.

A man is not a failure if he's trying to drive through a brick and concrete wall, laced with rebar. That's what the trucking business has become.

BUT, it should be your husband trying to call the company that was recommended, not you. Take a deep breath, step back, trust him, and trust God. IT WILL WORK OUT.
AMEN!

Everytime I'm (or someone else is, I relate a fact) in such a situation I ask myself (or others in a bad situation):

***There's an airplane somewhere in the world in an uncontrolled dive heading towards mother earth.

IN WHICH SITUATION WOULD I'D RATHER BE? >>>Their's OR mine?

I keep chosing MY situation ALL the time!

Please take the time to read BETWEEN the lines from this very helpfull posts (espacially Twilight Flyer's).

Please post YOUR choice on the above so that we can see you're lighter side.

God Bless! -and remember *FOOTPRINTS*

Old 12-16-2007, 09:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilon
Quote:

AMEN!

Everytime I'm (or someone else is, I relate a fact) in such a situation I ask myself (or others in a bad situation):

***There's an airplane somewhere in the world in an uncontrolled dive heading towards mother earth.

IN WHICH SITUATION WOULD I'D RATHER BE? >>>Their's OR mine?

I keep chosing MY situation ALL the time!

Please take the time to read BETWEEN the lines from this very helpfull posts (espacially Twilight Flyer's).

Please post YOUR choice on the above so that we can see you're lighter side.

God Bless! -and remember *FOOTPRINTS*

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 12-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Quote:
BigDiesel

"I am smarter than you !!" SteveBooth 12/12/07
Hey B-I-G Diesel,

Do you want to loose you're dentures? (LOL)

-just wondering.....