Old 12-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1200459844045181643oQSPMu
Is that the type of fleet your going to own??? :lol:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Senior Board Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: If the EPA wasn't so worried about emissions then yeah I would.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1200459844045181643oQSPMu
I saw one of these today hauling a bullwagon, and i thought, old school
Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 AM

Until you have employees, incorporating in any form (C corp, S corp, LLC) won't do much for you. Carry extra insurance, maybe a personal general liability policy too. There's some advice out there that incorporating would shield your personal assets in the event of an accident. Some questions: would the company or you get the tickets for any moving violations associated with the accident? The ticket is a pretty strong opening indicator in court of who's responsible. And in a one person company there's not much to stop a judge from putting personal assets inplay to satisfy judgements.

Attorneys like deep pockets. Carry insurance.

Having said that, I could see some benefit to a S Corp if your planning on putting more than $10k a year into a 401k.

My advice if you're going to consult an attorney about incorporating, consult a civil liability lawyer and ask how well your assets would be protected if you run into him/her in court. Or better yet, a judge.

Good luck with everything!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
I just read a post about LLC and incorporating, I'm just curious which one would benefit me the most? I know Gman can answer it.

LLC is a limited liability company. It is treated more like a partnership than a corporation. I considered changing my corporation to an LLC or LLP, but decided to stick with the standard corporate structure. If I remember correctly, there are a few things you can elect under a LLC, one is protection of personal assets. I think the standard corporation is the simplest way to go. Perhaps that is because I have owned several over the last 30+ years. If you go with a corporation and then file the sub chapter S election then you have the protections of a corporation but taxed like a partnership. I think the most important value for the smaller operator in having a corporate structure are the tax advantages. There are a number of things one can do to shelter ones income under a corporate structure. All things considered, I prefer the standard corporate structure.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Thank you all for the answers.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Not many 17 year olds are mature enough these days anyway. Alot of them are disrespectful, rude, no manners, back talk adults like they are with their friends. I know I'll take some heat from this but alot of that has to do with the way the child was raised by their parents!

BREAKING NEWS, Evel Knievel is dead!!!! http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/...s/obit_knievel
Double L

I was at first amused by your questions after I discovered you were only 17 but then I kept reading and realized that you have a real desire to drive (just like I did at that age) and you are better informed than I was back then. I started out hauling Miller Beer in a straight truck and then a ""gas"" powered single axle semi with a 24 ft box delivering groceries in 3 countys near the Ill--Ind st line on I-70 !!! I stepped in a lease purchase deal with NAVL in Sept of 79 and became a OO with a single axle GMC cab-over hauling van freight until 85 and left them with a paid off IH 4070B cab over and went into the flatbed hauling bussiness and never looked back.

If it was me I'd buy a combo trailer with a side kit with tall bows. I would worry to much about being super light because all those heavy loads only got you hauling the extra for free anyway. I really liked my side kit and used it a lot. A lot of the old steel haulers never take their kit down. I got to the point that if it would'nt fit in the kit I did'nt haul it ?? Or else they paid me to take it down. I'd also find a real fuel efficient truck and would'nt worry much about the age of it doing the steel hauling bussiness. Get some-thing that has just been over-hauled and had recent driveline work.

You can make allmost anything look good if you put a little effort into it. The sleeper size is again some-thing I would'nt worry to much about. I'd probably get some-thing like the 63 or so. You want to be comfortable with your sleeping arange-ments because your going to haft to live with it for some time?? But be warned steel hauling ain't fer sissys !!! It's one of the more dangerous trucking jobs out there. Shit can come loose n slide or come off of the front of the trailer n crush you !!!

I'm getting ready to try some-thing a little different next year . I have bought a RGN and I'm going to try the oversize--tall-wide heavy haul routine. I've been over here in Baghdad for allmost 4 years now and I will be takeing my ol-Pete to Atlanta for a out of frame in a couple of weeks. This has been a long awaited-christmas present for my 359 with a Corvette Dash Cat powered truck that I promised it I would do!!!

I admire your enthuseasim and drive to do this but I don't envy you haveing to face all the changes in the trucking industry for the next 50 years while you are trying to ""drive your life away"" like I have.. Give me a e-mail address and I'll show you a picture of a ""REAL"" ol school Peterbuilt !!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Thank you Ash I added you on yahoo, but my email address is [email protected] I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. But before I do any of that I got 1 year of diesel mechanics to do and 2 years of business to do as well. During those 3 years I'm gonna save up money.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Rookie

I agree with you double L. The lighter you are the more you can haul for nothing. Its been my experience, but not always the case.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
... before I do any of that I got 1 year of diesel mechanics to do.
Now THAT is smarter.