User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You can find a lot of drivers who are doing these fleece programs. I would think that if there were a lot of people completing them that I would personally have met many more who completed their lease. As I have mentioned on other occasions, I have only met 3 people with whom I have spoken, who have told me that they were able to complete their lease. I would think I would have met dozens over the last 30+ years who have completed their lease. If it was such a good deal and a high percentage were completing their lease, these carriers would be putting them in their ads. I have looked at the numbers on many occasions. I just don't see that the numbers add up. I don't see how anyone can make money when they pay anywhere from $500-800/week for a truck and run for $0.80-0.90/mile and make it. If you can't make more leasing a truck than you could as a company driver, it doesn't make sense to me to participate in them. :?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

The one person I know who is doing the lease purchase and is on his second truck is grossing at least $3,500 per week. He was in a brand new Volvo when I last talked to him.

He was our regular guy that came to the lab to ship out our equipment. The owner always requested him. We treated him very well and I always talked to him at great lengths.

I don't remember what carrier he was with but it was one of the big ones. He refused to put their name on his door and since it was magnetic he only put it on when he went to the terminal.

He did say it was very important to treat your dispatcher good.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sure that there have been more who have completed their lease than the three I have met. I have met quite a few who are in these leases. Judging from the few that I have met, I don't think it is a good average. I am glad the guy you mentioned was doing well. I don't like to see anyone fail. If this guy didn't have signs on his truck except when he went to a terminal I am surprised that he was pulled into a scale. If I remember correctly, it is illegal for a class 8 truck to use magnetic signage. There are some things which are supposed to be on the truck which included the name of the carrier. It seems odd that this guy didn't want to put the name of his carrier on the side of the truck, especially since he was doing so well with them. :?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
I've looked at lease purchase numbers, they don't add up.
You are probably, using the wrong math! Try "truckers math"! :lol:
Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Yeah I cant arque with your guys numbers, as I said before it wouldnt be for me.

I just know as a fact, when I did my years with USX, that our yard was full of lease-purchase drivers and trucks, n when I went to talk with any of them they acted like it was the best thing they ever did n didnt want to hear any of my negative BS to them.

You know tho...some made it some didnt....and I always attributed that to company politics. I think it was load-it who pointed out, 'do you really want your fate decided by a 20 year old kid with acne?'
Your fate seems entirly in their hands and they can make or break you for sure......If they take kindly to you you will make $...if not your screwed, and I was advised to ummm tip them regularly :-D

The biggest reason I think you guys are so down on them is a opposite way of thinking.....a lease driver just wants a loadn (as many as possible and the more the better)...I as a independent, DONT just want a load. I need a load that PAYS well.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

I dont know about that magnetic signage law, i`ve literally seen paper written in marker duct taped on doors, a regular occurence when i`m in florida seeing the folks.

www.trukz.com
Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
I dont know about that magnetic signage law, i`ve literally seen paper written in marker duct taped on doors, a regular occurence when i`m in florida seeing the folks.
Hmmm yeah, if you mean the DOT required sign on my door...well I paid quite a bit to have some magnetic signs printed up....n then the crap magnet part didnt hold the sign on the door....so I HAD to tape it ! DAMN not what I had planned or envisioned, but it holds n the sign itself looks good.....Had to put US tho in fornt of DOT...for the love of G...they actually pulled me in the scales n cited me for not having US in front of DOT. I felt like remarking yeah MF! I really should put CCCP to make you SOBS happy!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member

put a magnet on the other side of the door pepe.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Doh!!!! yeah thks Al...that should work huh...ill work on that when I get home. Will def look better then all that bulky tape :-p
Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I thought the rules stated that one could not have a magnetic sign on the side of a class 8 truck. I finally found something which clarifies it somewhat. In the rules it states that you can have a removable sign as long as it meets all of the requirements such as background contrast, size, readability, etc., I didn't see anything which specifically says that you can or cannot use a magnetic sign. Since a magnetic sign is removable, I suppose it is OK to use them. Some trucks have aluminum cabs so a magnetic won't hold anyway. Most people use either individual letters or vinyl signs which adhere to the vehicle. I use individual letters which were made by a local sign company. They were not very expensive. I think I only paid about $20 per truck. In any case, it wasn't expensive. I would think magnetic signs would cost more and not look nearly as well on the truck. On the other hand, I would probably want to use them if I had paid good money for them. Pepe, you may see if there is some adhesive you can purchase to put on them. I am sure there is something which will work.